[comp.sys.mac] Mac II 80 Meg Color System for Sale

APL100@PSUVM.BITNET (11/29/88)

     Item                                       Ret. Price
     Mac II CPU w/Apple Ext. Keyboard            5098.00
     Apple Color Hi-Res RGB Monitor               999.00
            Video Card and 8 bit expansion kit    648.00
     Macintosh Internal 800K Floppy Drive         299.00
     Macintosh Internal 80 Meg Hard Disk         2099.00
                                                 -------
                           Total Retail          9143.00

                           Offered Price         7500.00

          System Software and HyperCard included.  Shareware and Freeware
     available.  Shipping negotiable.

          Will accept calls between 10:00am and Midnight EST.

          Andrew P. LeCates       (814) 867-8100
          <APL100@PSUVM.BITNET>   snail mail: 138 S. Atherton St., Apt 611
          AppleLink:  STO276                  State College, PA 16801

pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) (11/29/88)

The guy wants to sell his Mac II. He says:

 Item                                       Ret. Price
     Mac II CPU w/Apple Ext. Keyboard            5098.00
     Apple Color Hi-Res RGB Monitor               999.00
            Video Card and 8 bit expansion kit    648.00
     Macintosh Internal 800K Floppy Drive         299.00
     Macintosh Internal 80 Meg Hard Disk         2099.00
                                                 -------
                           Total Retail          9143.00

                           Offered Price         7500.00

I say:

At this price this is a rip off. Buyers beware!!! I'd say that as a
used system it's worth about $3500. I'd say that he bought it at univer-
sity discounts for maybe $4500.

Any comments?

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
Department of Mathematics                 TS1171@ohstvma.BITNET
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
231 West Eighteenth Avenue                1-(614)-292-5310.office
Columbus, OH 43210, U.S.A.                1-(614)-292-4975.department

billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (11/29/88)

In article <1109@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Paul G. Nevai) writes:

>The guy wants to sell his Mac II. He says:
>
> Item                                       Ret. Price
>     Mac II CPU w/Apple Ext. Keyboard            5098.00
>     Apple Color Hi-Res RGB Monitor               999.00
>            Video Card and 8 bit expansion kit    648.00
>     Macintosh Internal 800K Floppy Drive         299.00
>     Macintosh Internal 80 Meg Hard Disk         2099.00
>                                                 -------
>                           Total Retail          9143.00
>
>                           Offered Price         7500.00
>
>I say:
>
>At this price this is a rip off. Buyers beware!!! I'd say that as a
>used system it's worth about $3500. I'd say that he bought it at univer-
>sity discounts for maybe $4500.

You're right, here is my system:

     Mac II CPU w/Apple Standard Keyboard        5098.00
     Apple Color Hi-Res RGB Monitor               999.00
            Video Card and 8 bit expansion kit    648.00
     Macintosh Internal 800K Floppy Drive         299.00
     Rodime 140 Meg Harddrive			 1500.00?

I got mine about two months ago for $4421.00.  I don't know where this guy is
coming from.  (BTW, my system isn't for sale, only comparison).

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (11/30/88)

In article <63052APL100@PSUVM> APL100@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>     Item                                       Ret. Price
>     Mac II CPU w/Apple Ext. Keyboard            5098.00
>     Apple Color Hi-Res RGB Monitor               999.00
>            Video Card and 8 bit expansion kit    648.00
>     Macintosh Internal 800K Floppy Drive         299.00
>     Macintosh Internal 80 Meg Hard Disk         2099.00
>                                                 -------
>                           Total Retail          9143.00
>
>                           Offered Price         7500.00

This is slightly above street-price for a new Mac II, similarly equipped.
I think you'll have to do a little better before you get any takers.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (11/30/88)

>At this price this is a rip off. Buyers beware!!! I'd say that as a
>used system it's worth about $3500. I'd say that he bought it at univer-
>sity discounts for maybe $4500.
>
>Any comments?
>
>Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu

Yes, why does he include $299 for the internal drive?  Isn't the internal
standard in the macII?

-rsvp
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
that ought to do it...

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (12/01/88)

/* Written  9:31 am  Nov 29, 1988 by billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu */
>You're right, here is my system:
>
>     Mac II CPU w/Apple Standard Keyboard        5098.00
>     Apple Color Hi-Res RGB Monitor               999.00
>            Video Card and 8 bit expansion kit    648.00
>     Macintosh Internal 800K Floppy Drive         299.00
>     Rodime 140 Meg Harddrive			 1500.00?
>
>I got mine about two months ago for $4421.00.  I don't know where this guy is
>coming from.  (BTW, my system isn't for sale, only comparison).

I don't believe you paid $4421.00 and got a second internal floppy
drive.  Apple's university discounts are so inconsistent that the Mac
II price difference between two schools can easily be $1000.  If you
paid about $1200 for your disk drive, then an equivalent system here
WOULD cost ~$1000 more, under university discounts.

Notice that the hard disk and floppy are GENUINE apple.  This stuff is
much more expensive than commercial products, even under university
discounts.  Here, Apple was charging $1800 for an 80Mb disk,
DISCOUNTED.  So think a little bit before you jump all over this guy.

We took a survey a year ago, and discovered that some schools offer
lousy discounts on Apple equipment.  That's because they're skimming a
lot of money "off the top" of each Apple sale.  Apple doesn't mind this.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (12/01/88)

In article <1109@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Paul G. Nevai) writes:
<
<The guy wants to sell his Mac II. He says:
<
< Item                                       Ret. Price
<     Mac II CPU w/Apple Ext. Keyboard            5098.00
<     Apple Color Hi-Res RGB Monitor               999.00
<            Video Card and 8 bit expansion kit    648.00
<     Macintosh Internal 800K Floppy Drive         299.00
<     Macintosh Internal 80 Meg Hard Disk         2099.00
<                                                 -------
<                           Total Retail          9143.00
<
<                           Offered Price         7500.00

<Any comments?
<
<Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu

I showed the price to our Computerland dealer who saw it as pretty high
too, but she said that back there (Penn) there aren't many computer
stores and people sometimes pay more than list.  He's probably not
trying to rip anyone off.  But he may not know what things cost in other
parts of the country.  I'm sometimes tempted to drive up to the Bay
area and get better prices than I find here in So Calif when I see some
of the prices people on the net mention.

The total price of this system is $200 more than my quote for a new Mac IIx
with 4 Mbytes, an E Machines 16-inch monitor, and extended keyboard.  I don't
need the hard disk and don't want color, but that super drive and the 68030
look like the way to go.  (Thanks to all of you who have been answering my
question about Mac II vs Mac IIx.)

I think I'll wait until January, like some have advised to see what new
models are available and what that does to current prices.  All I really
care about is a system that won't be obsolete in a year and that is fast
enough to drive a big screen when scrolling large documents.

Shirley Kehr

c60a-2ce@e260-2b.berkeley.edu (Mikey) (12/05/88)

I agree: it's a total ripoff! But the price you quoted is also a bit too low.
I bought the above system PLUS an Imagewriter II w/cable and 4MB RAM for
around $7000 new.
Please reply via e-mail; I just don't have enough time to go thru
the entire newsgroup. Thanks a lot!
c60a-2ce@web.berkeley.edu.......................................Mikey
*** Call Tanelorn III! (415) 540-1180. The Apple/Mac BBS of Berkeley.