[comp.sys.mac] Multilaunch on TOPS and APPLESHARE

makmur@topaz.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (12/03/88)

Hi, i have a question that really make me puzzled.

When using TOPS network, i am able to make  non-network programs to multilaunch
from the server by changing the SHARED bit using resedit.

However, when using AppleShare, the above steps only allow me to multilaunch
an application for as many as 4 users. So, when the fifth user comes and wants
to use the program, a dialog box will pop and tell me the applications is BUSY.
(On TOPS, I have never see this error once the SHARED bit is check)

Does anybody out there know why this is so ??
It works on TOPS perfectly but partially on AppleShare. Why ??

Thanks for your help.

Hanz Makmur
Rutgers University

NB: FOUR isn't a MAGIC number, Is it ??

chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) (12/04/88)

	We had the same problem running AppleShare.  The solution
which seems to work (we have had as many as 28 users launch the same
application simultaneously) is to leave the SHARED bit unchecked, but
to check the CACHED bit instead.

	Presumably, this loads the entire appliation into the client
workstation's memory, so may cause problems if you are using
multifinder and launching several applications, but so far we have not
run into any significant memory problems.  (That is, of course, other
than those we have otherwise.)

	Good luck!

Christopher Krohn			CHRIS@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU
Northwestern University

chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) (12/06/88)

	One addendum to my previous posting:  Make sure the version of ResEdit
you use is LATER than version 1.1b3.  As discussed in Tech Note 116, 1.1b3
and earlier versions confuse the SHARED and CACHED bits.

	Many thanks to Aron Roberts at the Tolman Microcomputer
Facility for pointing this out.

Chris

billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (12/06/88)

In article <10330093@accuvax.nwu.edu> chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) writes:

>	One addendum to my previous posting:  Make sure the version of ResEdit
>you use is LATER than version 1.1b3.  As discussed in Tech Note 116, 1.1b3
>and earlier versions confuse the SHARED and CACHED bits.
>
>	Many thanks to Aron Roberts at the Tolman Microcomputer
>Facility for pointing this out.
>

>Chris

Don't set the shared bit on programs you didn't write.  A program must be
specifically written to be shared (it can't modify its resource fork), and if
it was written to be shared it would probably already have the shared bit set.

| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |