[comp.sys.mac] Mac II processor upgrades

holland@mips.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (12/06/88)

I heard that there is a 68030 replacement for the Mac II that runs at 33MHz
for about $1000.  First of all, how can the processor run faster than the
rest of the motherboard?  Second, how can they supply this at half the price
Apple charges for the II->IIx upgrade which is only 16MHz.

Was I just misinformed?  Does anyone have more details or experience with
this?

Thanks,

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
holland%ti-csl@csnet-rela

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

ecs175f037@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (12/07/88)

In article <65023@ti-csl.CSNET> holland@mips.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) writes:
>I heard that there is a 68030 replacement for the Mac II that runs at 33MHz
>for about $1000.  First of all, how can the processor run faster than the
>rest of the motherboard?

It's been a while since I had computer architecture, so somebody correct
me if I f**k this up...

The processor would have to have several wait states for each Nu-Bus access
since the bus is only clocked at 10MHz :-(

So, some operations will certainly be much faster with the upgrade, don't
expect everything to suddenly be twice as fast until Apple upgrade the Nu-Bux
to operate at higher clock speeds (a la Steve Jobs' NeXT)

>Thanks,
>
>Fred Hollander

To quote Alf ---  "No problem..."

-----
Greg DeMichillie
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu
AppleLink: ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) (12/07/88)

In article <3356@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, Greg DeMichillie
  (lgdemichilie@deneb.ucdavis.edu) writes:
>In article <65023@ti-csl.CSNET> holland@mips.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) writes:
>>I heard that there is a 68030 replacement for the Mac II that runs at 33MHz
>>for about $1000.  First of all, how can the processor run faster than the
>>rest of the motherboard?

>The processor would have to have several wait states for each Nu-Bus access
>since the bus is only clocked at 10MHz :-(

  The 68030 replacement must be on a separate board, I would guess.
If it has a reasonably large cache (say, even 8-16K) there wouldn't be
too many NuBus accesses (hopefully).  There would indeed be several
wait states for NuBus access, but this wouldn't occur that often.

>So, some operations will certainly be much faster with the upgrade, don't
>expect everything to suddenly be twice as fast until Apple upgrade the Nu-Bus
>to operate at higher clock speeds (a la Steve Jobs' NeXT)

  Of course, the NuBus standard is 10MHz; so no standard NuBus cards
would work with one running at a higher clock speed.  The cache ought
to give pretty good performance (remember, there are lots of large
computers with slow memory).
  A graphics coprocessor (to reduce the amount of cycles spent waiting
for video memory updates) would help a lot, too.  Anyone for designing
a custom QuickDraw chip?  (Or a microcoded Display PostScript
interpreter, even? :-)

	Anton

| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         | "Do worry...be SAD!" |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |                      |