[comp.sys.mac] How do you get rid of the font styles in the font menu?

bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Brian Martin) (12/07/88)

Hello,

    I finally got myself a LaserWriter NTX, and would like to know how you get
rid of all the multiple font style names from the font menu without losing
their functionality. For example, to display the Italic Helvetica font on
screen, I have to select the "I Helvetica" font. I'd rather select the plain
Helvetica font, then select the Italic style from the menu. That way, my
font menu wouldn't be cluttered with "I Helvetica", "B Helvetica" etc.

    I remember seeing a discussion of this in the past, but since I didn't
have a LaserWriter back then, I didn't save the articles.

    Also, where can I get additional bitmap versions of PostScript fonts that
come with the LaserWriter. A friend of mine forwarded to me bold and italic
bitmaps for the Avant Garde and Helvetica fonts, and I find them much nicer
to work with than the system-generated fonts.

    Thanks,
    ---- Brian

====
Brian K. Martin, M.D.
ARPA: uhccux!bmartin@nosc.MIL
UUCP: {uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!bmartin
INTERNET: bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (12/07/88)

In article <2763@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bmartin@uhccux.UUCP (Brian K. Martin, M.D.) writes:
>Hello,
>
>    I finally got myself a LaserWriter NTX, and would like to know how you get
>rid of all the multiple font style names from the font menu without losing
>their functionality. For example, to display the Italic Helvetica font on
>screen, I have to select the "I Helvetica" font. I'd rather select the plain
>Helvetica font, then select the Italic style from the menu. That way, my
>font menu wouldn't be cluttered with "I Helvetica", "B Helvetica" etc.
>
>====
>Brian K. Martin, M.D.
>ARPA: uhccux!bmartin@nosc.MIL
>UUCP: {uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!bmartin
>INTERNET: bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

Well a messy manual way to do this is available,it involves meesing with
names in the fond and font resources.  I'll post the details later if you
really want.  This method has the added problem of not working in some
programs which go ahead and display the "hidden" names anyway.

The best technique I know right now is to get suitcaseII.  It comes with
a utility called font harmony which among other things will convert font
families into proper nfonts.

The nice thing is that the nfonts seem to work correctly in all apps that
i've tried.  Also, when using font/da mover you now see all the stylized
versions grouped with their base font, but represented in the appropriate
style in the font list.  (ie for bold helvetica 12 you see "helvetica 12"
but in bolded chicago).

One note,  I recently got a free nfont-maker utility that was posted by
olduvai software.  It unfortunately was unable to work on font families
that had been previously mucked about in the way discussed in the first
paragraaph.  Font Harmony, on the other hand, worked quite well.

Josh  (standard disclaimer --- Steve Brecher is a god.)

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

ecs175f037@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (12/08/88)

In article <2763@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bmartin@uhccux.UUCP (Brian K. Martin, M.D.) writes:
>    Also, where can I get additional bitmap versions of PostScript fonts that
>come with the LaserWriter. A friend of mine forwarded to me bold and italic
>bitmaps for the Avant Garde and Helvetica fonts, and I find them much nicer
>to work with than the system-generated fonts.
>====
>Brian K. Martin, M.D.
>ARPA: uhccux!bmartin@nosc.MIL
>UUCP: {uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!bmartin
>INTERNET: bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

I've talked with several people via e-mail and between us we probably have
most of the screen fonts.  If indeed these can be distributed on the net
how about getting somebody to collect them from various people and making
one combined posting to comp.binaries.mac.  (Ever notice how when people say
"why doesn't somebody..." they REALLY mean "why doesn't somebody other than
ME ...")

Oh well, I'll bite the bullet and volunteer.  If people want to mail me
their screen fonts I'll collect them.  Please use stuffit to compress!  To
start things off, I already have the following and will contribute them:

    Avant Garde
    Palatino
    New Century Schoolbook
    Garamond
    Galliard
    Franklin Gothic
    Century Old Style

The last 4 are for those who have access to a service bureau or other printer
with those fonts and who want to create documents to use them.

-----
Greg DeMichillie
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu
{...} ucbvax!ucdavis!deneb!u545731798ea
AppleLink: ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.