[comp.sys.mac] Feeling and thought: which comes first?

pluto@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Mark E. P. Plutowski) (12/06/88)

One net-poster remarked that emotions and feeling are a natural
by-product of thought.

I imagine that thought is a natural by-product of feeling and emotion.

*************What is the consensus of the rest of you?************

If you like, respond directly to me, and I will summarize and
post the results.

Mark Plutowski				INTERNET: pluto%cs@ucsd.edu
Department of Computer Science, C-014   	  pluto@beowulf.ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, California 92093   		UNIX:{...}!sdcsvax!beowulf!pluto
Mark Plutowski				INTERNET: pluto%cs@ucsd.edu
Department of Computer Science, C-014   	  pluto@beowulf.ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego     BITNET:	  pluto@ucsd.bitnet
La Jolla, California 92093   		UNIX:{...}!sdcsvax!beowulf!pluto

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (12/06/88)

In article <5626@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> pluto@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Mark E. P. Plutowski) writes:
>One net-poster remarked that emotions and feeling are a natural
>by-product of thought.
>
>I imagine that thought is a natural by-product of feeling and emotion.
>

>*************What is the consensus of the rest of you?************

I think a quotation from Marvin Minsky might be appropriate here:

      In this modern era of "information processing psychology" it may seem
    quaint to talk of mental states; it is more  fashionable  to  speak  of
    representations,  frames,  scripts,  or semantic networks.  But while I
    find it lucid enough to speak in such terms about memories  of  things,
    sentences,  or  even faces, it is much harder so to deal with feelings,
    insights, and understandings--and all the attitudes, dispositions,  and
    ways  of  seeing  things  that go with them.  . . . We usually put such
    issues aside, saying that one must  first  understand  simpler  things.
    But  what  if  feelings and viewpoints are the simpler things?  If such
    dispositions are the elements of which the others are composed, then we
    must  deal  with  them directly.  So we shall view memories as entities
    that predispose the mind to deal with new situations in old, remembered
    ways--specifically,  as  entities that reset the states of parts of the
    nervous system.   Then  they  can  cause  that  nervous  system  to  be
    "disposed"  to  behave  as  though  it  remembers.    This is why I put
    "dispositions" ahead of "propositions."

Source:	Minsky, M.
	K-Lines:  A Theory of Memory.
	Cognitive Science 4:117-133, 1980.

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon) (12/07/88)

In article <5626@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> pluto@beowulf.UCSD.EDU writes:
>One net-poster remarked that emotions and feeling are a natural
>by-product of thought.  I imagine that thought is a natural by-product
>of feeling and emotion.

Emotions and feelings are a "natural byproduct of" how our Terran bodies
and minds function.  Smell and internal chemicals (ie, "hormones")
trigger neuronal activity which humans interpret as emotions.  The
limbic system seems to report many things which we interpret as
"emotional feelings".

Some "feelings" are also triggered by instinct or feedback.  The
"fingernails on blackboard" sound appears to be a primate warning cry which
instinctively causes uncomfortable feelings in many humans.  Feedback
can cause feelings either due to memories triggering neuronal activity
which are a "memory" of past feelings, or due to thoughts causing
limbic-detected chemicals ("hormones") to be produced.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (12/08/88)

(Mark E. P. Plutowski) writes:

 > One net-poster remarked that emotions and feeling are a natural
 > by-product of thought.
 >
 > I imagine that thought is a natural by-product of feeling and emotion.

The cause and effect linkages operate both ways:  feelings give
rise to thoughts, and thoughts engender feelings.

But if you go back far enough in our evolutionary past, I think
you will find that feelings preceded thought, because sensory
perception precedes information processing and cognition.

--Barry Kort