[comp.sys.mac] MacTools 7.2 bug & patch

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (12/07/88)

MacTools 7.2 contains a bug that can cause a crash when Pyro! 3.1 is installed
(or possibly without Pyro! 3.1), when the Undelete Files menu item is chosen
and then the Save Deletes button is clicked.  Technical description of the
bug:  MacTools passes the contents of an uninitialized variable to SetPort. If
it doesn't crash, it's just luck; the presence of Pyro! 3.1 may happen to
make MacTools 7.2 unlucky (depending on which other INITs are installed). On
my system, the patch does not occur if TOPS is also installed, but does occur
if TOPS is not installed.  With respect to the bug, this is just coincidence.

To fix the bug in MacTools 7.2, apply the following hexadecimal patch.  If
you use MacTools to make the patch, be sure to patch a copy of the program
instead of patching the program that is actually running.

The patch is located in block 198 (C6 hexadecimal) of MacTools 7.2 at offset
70 hexadecimal bytes within the block:

 old contents: 206E 0008 2050 3F10 206E 0008 2050
 change to:    3F10 4868 000A 486E FFF8 A874 6004

Note for users of other patching utilities:  the "old contents" is not a unique
pattern within the file; the instance to be patched is the second occurrance.

--

In article <7853@well.UUCP>, brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) writes:

> the patch does not occur if TOPS is also installed

He undoubtedly meant to say "the crash does not occur if TOPS is also
installed".

--
brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (12/08/88)

Steve Brecher writes:
>MacTools 7.2 contains a bug that can cause a crash when Pyro! 3.1 is installed..

>The patch is located in block 198 (C6 hexadecimal) of MacTools 7.2 at offset
>70 hexadecimal bytes within the block:
>
> old contents: 206E 0008 2050 3F10 206E 0008 2050
> change to:    3F10 4868 000A 486E FFF8 A874 6004
>
>Note for users of other patching utilities:  the "old contents" is not a unique
>pattern within the file; the instance to be patched is the second occurrance.

>brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)

	In my MacTools 7.2 (Created July 5,1988, Modified Nov 8, 1988),
the above string occurs for the second time in block C9 at offset 4B,
rather than C6.
	Is the same bit of code!?

					Jim Meiss
					jdm@emx.utexas.edu

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (12/10/88)

In article <8615@ut-emx.UUCP>, jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) asks:

>         In my MacTools 7.2 (Created July 5,1988, Modified Nov 8, 1988),
> the above string occurs for the second time in block C9 at offset 4B,
> rather than C6.
>         Is the same bit of code!?

The patch I posted is based on the MacTools 7.2 that came with the Copy II Mac
package.  The MacTools 7.2 that comes with the PCTools package is (I have
been told) slightly different.  I would guess that the patch still applies,
albeit in a different location, but I have not tested this.