[comp.sys.mac] Why won't/doesn't Apple support MacinTalk???

pkahn@meridian.ads.com (Phil Kahn) (11/19/88)

The addition of textually generated speech can greatly enhance some
interfaces and programs.  MacinTalk (from APDA) provides such a
facility. Yet, Apple doesn't support this code, there are several
known and long existing bugs (e.g., after opening and closing the
driver, beep sounds and other sounds don't work; the sound driver
apparently being closed or something like that), interfaces are hard to
come by since it isn't supported, the clarity of speech could be
improved, and a more complete exceptions file isn't distributed.

Why doesn't/won't Apple support this useful and potentially important
tool? Make it sound better, fix known bugs, document better, and
provide interfaces to most popular languages. Apple even throws in the
disclaimer that MacinTalk may not be compatible with future releases.
Why? It could be done through standard sound drivers to maintain
future compatability, right?  So what's the problem.  We're onlyy
talking about a half a man-year of someone's time at Apple to make this a
powerful, extensible, and extremely useful tool to the developer and
user community.

All in favor, deluge this net with support mail!!  All opposed,
explain yourselves!

phil...

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (11/19/88)

In article <6135@zodiac.UUCP> pkahn@ads.com (Phil Kahn) writes:
>The addition of textually generated speech can greatly enhance some
>interfaces and programs.  MacinTalk (from APDA) provides such a
>facility. Yet, Apple doesn't support this code...

I am in favor of supporting this useful tool.  I think it should be a
part of the OS.  Apple is in the position to create a truely multimedia
machine if they provide the same support for sounds,animation, and voice,
as they do for bitmaps,buttons, and text.  It seems that treating all the
objects in a uniform manner will increase their usage in NOVEL applications.

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"X is just raster-op on wheels" - Bill Joy, January 1987

michael@taniwha.UUCP (Michael Hamel) (11/20/88)

In article <6135@zodiac.UUCP> pkahn@ads.com (Phil Kahn) writes:
>All in favor, deluge this net with support mail!!  All opposed,
>explain yourselves!

OK. MacinTalk speaks Metallic American. I find it difficult enough
to follow phoneme synthesisers anyway but it adds insult to injury
by using a foreign accent. I can't make it speak with a New Zealand
accent because it doesn't have some of the phonemes we use in its set.
I much prefer full waveform synthesis which is a great deal more
comprehensible: all you need is Farallons excellent MacRecorder to
make 'snd ' resources and away you go. At 7.5kHz sampling you use
a fair bit of memory, but surely this is becoming less important
as the megabit DRAMs ramp up and hard disk capacities increase...

--
"Where now are those who in times past have opposed the
Group of Seventeen?"

Michael Hamel.

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (11/20/88)

Here's yet another "YES" vote for official MacinTalk support.

-Ted

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (11/22/88)

I would very much like to see voice capability on My Mac but I am not sure
that MacIntalk is what I really want. It is the best that I have seen
so far but...

  It only speaks American English

  It is a pain to get it to say something different. There was an application
    came out around '85, SmartTalk{?}. It would read text files. Unfortunatly,
    it was not easy to understand.

  The voice is very metallic.

What I would like to see....

  CDEV system application.

  Run same language as the System

  Read text files

  be able to read user generated scripts triggered by the system or other
    applications {ie user defined audio dialog boxes}

  be easily understandable by someon who is near-by but not paying any
    attention to the computer.
  Oh yes, I want it to run on my 128K Mac under system 1.1 ;*)

TeriAnn

" Triumph   The Glory Still Exists"

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (11/22/88)

Dear Phil -
	The reason that Apple Computer does not support MacinTalk, is because
we do not have the sources to MacinTalk.  MacinTalk was done by a third
party back when the Macintosh was only a gleam in Steve Job's eye.
	When the Macintosh SE and II were under development, we worked to
hack the binary of MacinTalk - done by the great Paul Mercer before he joined
Apple - so that it would work on the Macintosh SE and Macintosh II.
	Though we are not supporting MacinTalk, we are looking at supplying
speech on the Macintosh.  A number of possibilities are under investigation.

Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET
Tools & Languages Product Management
20525 Mariani Avenue, MS 27S
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-973-4601
			"Joy is the serious business of heaven."
					C.S. Lewis

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (11/22/88)

In article <20983@apple.Apple.COM> jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) writes:
>	The reason that Apple Computer does not support MacinTalk, is because
>we do not have the sources to MacinTalk.  MacinTalk was done by a third
>party back when the Macintosh was only a gleam in Steve Job's eye.
>[...]
>	Though we are not supporting MacinTalk, we are looking at supplying
>speech on the Macintosh.  A number of possibilities are under investigation.

I hope that the new speech drivers, if you decide to implement them, sound
better than MacinTalk.  I have no idea what the inherent limitations of this
type of thing are, but it *is* kind of a bummer that speech off my Mac II
sounds the same as the speech off a Mac 128, which sounds the same as a
$10 Speak and Spell.

-Sho

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (11/22/88)

In article <6135@zodiac.UUCP> pkahn@ads.com (Phil Kahn) writes:
>All in favor, deluge this net with support mail!!  All opposed,
>explain yourselves!
>
>phil...

OK - Here's my 2 cents worth.  I'm in favor of Macintalk support.

I'd think it could help the visually impaired as an alternative to
close view.

I suppose I couldn't use it in the office because we only have cubicles.
But where you have real offices and at home, you could do some neat
things. How about learning another language?  How about time notes in
Comment telling you when to go to your meeting?

Shirley Kehr

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (11/23/88)

In article <19258@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>>[...] Yet, Apple doesn't support this code...
>
>I am in favor of supporting this useful tool.  I think it should be a
>part of the OS.

MacinTalk is, like many first hour Apple programs, a third pardy
product. Although a source code license and a maintenance contract had
been proposed by the contracting firm, Apple finally decided against
it because the two parties couldn't agree on the price. Apple does
not, as far as I know of, plan to change its mind, nor does the
creator of MacinTalk. I agree this is sad, especially because
the contract broke up before the other planned language interfaces
(french, spanish, german and italian) were implemented, making that great
tool unuseable in almost all nonamerican countries.

-- Danny

Disclaimer: I have no relations with Apple or the creator of MacinTalk
            besides the E-mail and phone calls we exchange.
| Mail    :  Danny Schwendener, ETH Macintosh Support                   |
|            Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH-8092 Zuerich     |
| Bitnet  :  macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman |
| Internet:  macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times          |

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (11/23/88)

In article <71150@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>OK - Here's my 2 cents worth.  I'm in favor of Macintalk support.
>things. How about learning another language?  How about time notes in
>Shirley Kehr

Speach synthesis tools are very bad for learning languages.  Macintalk
is currently specific to English, and even at that would be a VERY bad
example for how to speak English.  Somehow speaking English the way
Macintalk does does not seem very desirable for a human.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

jrk@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) (11/24/88)

In article <71150@felix.UUCP>, kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
> OK - Here's my 2 cents worth.  I'm in favor of Macintalk support.
> But where you have real offices and at home, you could do some neat
> things. How about learning another language?

Seconded.  I'm working on a language-teaching program, and I'd like to have
it speak the words.

OK, I guess Macintalk is dead (and anyway, it's nowhere
near the quality I want).  Is any other speech-synthesizing
software available for the Mac?  How difficult is it to do?

--
Richard Kennaway                SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
uucp:	...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk	Janet:	kennaway@uk.ac.uea.sys

g-verbru@rocky.cs.wisc.edu.CS.WISC.EDU (Rob Verbrugghe) (11/27/88)

In article <265@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>Speach synthesis tools are very bad for learning languages.  Macintalk
>is currently specific to English, and even at that would be a VERY bad
>example for how to speak English.  Somehow speaking English the way
>Macintalk does does not seem very desirable for a human.
>Kent Borg
>kent@lloyd.uucp

Well the PLATO education system pioneered at the University of Illinois
uses a speach synthesis system for teaching languages.  (French, Spanish and
Esperanto to name a few)  I'm not certain if they are still using it, but it
seemed to work pretty well.  Of course it is lightyears ahead of Macintalk.
I don't think it is wise to write an idea off if the available (cheap)
technology doesn't exist yet.
   In fact a lot of excellent lessons can be learned about computers in
education from the PLATO  system.  (I didn't learn them, because like too many
undergraduates I was trying to avoid any learning at the time.)  CDC bought
PLATO back in 68 (69?) with thoughts of owning the endall education system
(that ran on thier hardware).  Well they plowed millions of dollars into the
system and haven't made a profit yet, but there are several million dollars
worth of ideas, just laying around for someone to pick up and use.  I'm
surprized that no one thought to look there.  (Maybe they did and didn't like
what they saw) Well that's my $.02
Rob Verbrugghe (Illinois Alum -- and still going to school)

merchant@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) (11/28/88)

In article <71150@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>OK - Here's my 2 cents worth.  I'm in favor of Macintalk support.
>
>I suppose I couldn't use it in the office because we only have cubicles.
>But where you have real offices and at home, you could do some neat
>things. How about learning another language?  How about time notes in
>Comment telling you when to go to your meeting?

Interesting comment:  Awhile ago, I talked to someone at InBox about possibly
using MacinTalk as a means of notifying people when they receive mail.  The
InBox person said that it had been considered but was eventually thrown out
because they didn't feel that Corporate America could handle a computer that
talked to you.

Besides, what about confidential messages?  Picture this: You are in your
office and you and The Boss are seriously discussing a project that could
mean millions of dollars to your company.  Suddenly your Macintosh pipes up:
"You have just received mail from your snookums about kinky sex tonight."

As for supporting it, well, I remember an old saying that said something like,
"All things come easy to those who don't have to do them."
---
"Wouldn't you agree?"                   Peter Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)
                                              (Peter.G.Merchant@dartmouth.edu)

In article <193@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) writes:
>OK, I guess Macintalk is dead (and anyway, it's nowhere
>near the quality I want).  Is any other speech-synthesizing
>software available for the Mac?  How difficult is it to do?

I remember a program called "SmoothTalker" many years back that ran on my 128K
Macintosh and spoke much better than MacinTalk.  The company even offered to
license it to anyone who was interested.

I only know of one company that used it.  They make some software for kids to
learn new words or something similar.  For some reason, the name First Byte
Software comes to my mind, but don't quote me on that.

Take a look in Icon Review, if such a thing still exists, under educational or
children's software.
---
"You dropped a bomb on me..."           Peter Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)
                                              (Peter.G.Merchant@dartmouth.edu)

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (11/30/88)

In article <11197@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> Peter.G.Merchant@dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) writes:
>In article <193@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) writes:
>>OK, I guess Macintalk is dead (and anyway, it's nowhere
>>near the quality I want).  Is any other speech-synthesizing
>>software available for the Mac?  How difficult is it to do?

>I remember a program called "SmoothTalker" many years back...

I listened to SmoothTalker once, and found it to be most irritating.  I
much preferred the honest 'computerese' of Macintalk.  Smoothtalker's
accent was very, umm, ingratiating (??) sounding.  About as much fun to
listen to for extended periods of time as baby talk (snookums).  Made
me want to club it in the face!  It also had only one inflection
pattern.  Start high and proceed low through the sentence, with a few
slight wobbles near the end (kind of like when you run out of breath at
the end of a sentence).  Gack.  Gave the word 'smooth' a bad name.
Anybody else have this reaction to it?

+----------------+
! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!iscuva!jimc
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
+----------------+
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (11/30/88)

In article <2183@iscuva.ISCS.COM> jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) writes:
|In article <11197@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> Peter.G.Merchant@dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) writes:
|>In article <193@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) writes:
|>>OK, I guess Macintalk is dead (and anyway, it's nowhere
|>>near the quality I want).  Is any other speech-synthesizing
|>>software available for the Mac?  How difficult is it to do?
|
|>I remember a program called "SmoothTalker" many years back...
|
|I listened to SmoothTalker once, and found it to be most irritating.  I
|much preferred the honest 'computerese' of Macintalk.  . . .

I heard SmoothTalker (demo and as released) a long time ago and my
impression was then that it used Macintalk, and mostly provided a
convenient interface to it from Text files and to the exception
mechanism.  They may have redone the speech part and / or the
translator part for themselves, but my impression from that early demo
was that it was still MacinTalk at heart.  [I don't suppose anyone
form First Byte is here and would care to comment ...]

	/JBL

UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (12/01/88)

In article <870264@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

> Here's yet another "YES" vote for official MacinTalk support.
>
> -Ted

Here is a "NO" vote for Macintalk, it sounds terrible, and would never
be easy to use..High quality, low sampling digital speech is much prefered..

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

ksr@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Kenneth S Redler) (12/01/88)

In article <2183@iscuva.ISCS.COM> jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) writes:
|In article <11197@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> Peter.G.Merchant@dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) writes:
||I remember a program called "SmoothTalker" many years back...
|
|I listened to SmoothTalker once, and found it to be most irritating.  I
|much preferred the honest 'computerese' of Macintalk.  Smoothtalker's
|accent was very, umm, ingratiating (??) sounding.  About as much fun to
|listen to for extended periods of time as baby talk (snookums).  Made
|me want to club it in the face!  It also had only one inflection
|pattern.  Start high and proceed low through the sentence, with a few
|slight wobbles near the end (kind of like when you run out of breath at
|the end of a sentence).  Gack.  Gave the word 'smooth' a bad name.
|Anybody else have this reaction to it?

Yes.  It also seemed to lack the same "future" features as Macintalk,
such as the female voice; these teasers were present in the menus, but
grayed out.  I found the speech patterns...well...plaintive.

-Ken

 Ken Redler                                           ksr@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

suitti@haddock.ima.isc.com (Stephen Uitti) (12/10/88)

>Here is a "NO" vote for Macintalk, it sounds terrible, and would never
>be easy to use..High quality, low sampling digital speech is much prefered..

	I have a sampler.  It was somewhat expensive.  I have
megabytes of stuff sampled.  I don't have everything I want sampled.
If my programs want to talk, they should be able to talk.  They should
be able to do so without regard to what has been sampled for them.
There is an "eliza" port that optionally speaks everything.  It also
speaks everything that the user types.  You can't do that with sampled
sound.  A sampler will not replace Macintalk (or the other way around).

	If Macintalk is low quality (it is), it should be improved.
There is probably a market for such a thing.  If such a thing were
available, I'd buy it to put into my own commercial products (that
needed such a thing).

	Stephen.