[comp.sys.mac] F/Da Mover question. Never seen this before!

lgeorge@melbcae.edu.au (12/05/88)

I was using F/Da Mover last week, and I came across a hidden feature.
No, its not an error, but if you are running F/Da Mover 3.8, and examine the
desk accessory selections, you will notice that if you hold down the option key
and click on a da's name, you will get futher information about the size of the
da.  Namely, it gives you a run down of the amount of "picture data", the
"program data" and the "other data" (in bytes) that the da contains.
My questions are :-
	(1) Has anyone seen this feature documented? I found it as I was trying
to remove a da without being asked by F/Da Mover if I really wanted to remove
that da, I figured if the Finder checked for the option key down, then maybe
F/Da Mover would too
	(2) Any ideas what the "other data" is?
	(3) Is it possible to remove fonts/das without being asked to confirm
all the time.

Thank you for your time.
George Stamatopoulos
La Trobe University - Lincoln School of Health Sciences
Melbourne
Victoria

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (12/06/88)

In article <240@melbcae.edu.au> lgeorge@melbcae.edu.au writes:

>I was using F/Da Mover last week, and I came across a hidden feature.
>...if you
>hold down the option key and click on a da's name, you will get
>futher information about the size of the da.  Namely, it gives you a
>run down of the amount of "picture data", the "program data" and the
>"other data" (in bytes) that the da contains.  My questions are :-

>	(1) Has anyone seen this feature documented?

Yes, but not by Apple.  The FDAM does a number of interesting things
when you use the option key.  Option-launch opens with DAs as the
default instead of fonts.  Option-select gives the info you saw.
Option-open lets you select any file instead of just System and FDAM
files.

>	(2) Any ideas what the "other data" is?

It's any resources owned by the DA that aren't PICT or the DA itself.
This could be absolutely anything.  To find out, put the DA in a file
by itself and examine the file with ResEdit.

>	(3) Is it possible to remove fonts/das without being asked to confirm
>all the time.

I don't know of a way short of patching FDAM.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

stearns@Apple.COM (Brian Stearns) (12/08/88)

From article <32952@think.UUCP>, by ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac):
> [several good hints related to option-key features in Font/DA Mover 3.8,
>  including that option-launching FDAM makes it come up in desk accessory
>  mode instead of fonts mode.]

If you're moving a lot of desk accessories, add a resource of type LAYO,
id 129, to Font/DA Mover itself. (If you feel more comfortable putting it
in your System file instead, that will work too.) If FDAM3.8 finds such a
resource (it doesn't matter what it contains, if anything!), it will invert
the defaults: DA mode if no option key; fonts if option key.

By the way, if it make you feel better, I really regret not adding
disables of some sort for the "are you sure?" box, and the "Stuff added
under Multifinder may not appear until you restart" box. However, for the
adventurous at heart, I left the Macsbug symbols in: you can patch out
the calls to AYSALERT (for the "are you sure?" box) in REMOVEDACCS
and REMOVEFONTS, and the first call to DOALERT in COPYFONTS and COPYDACCS
(for the MultiFinder warning box). Of course, the usual caveats apply:
don't do this to your only copy of FDAM3.8, please don't give the hacked
version to unsuspecting naive users, etc.

Disclaimer: Have fun, keep backups, and be a good sport.

stearns@Apple.COM (Brian Stearns) (12/08/88)

(oops, left off the .signature!)

From article <295@internal.Apple.COM>, by stearns@Apple.COM (Brian Stearns):
> From article <32952@think.UUCP>, by ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac):
>> [several good hints related to option-key features in Font/DA Mover 3.8,
>>  including that option-launching FDAM makes it come up in desk accessory
>>  mode instead of fonts mode.]
>
> If you're moving a lot of desk accessories, add a resource of type LAYO,
> id 129, to Font/DA Mover itself. (If you feel more comfortable putting it
> in your System file instead, that will work too.) If FDAM3.8 finds such a
> resource (it doesn't matter what it contains, if anything!), it will invert
> the defaults: DA mode if no option key; fonts if option key.
>
> By the way, if it make you feel better, I really regret not adding
> disables of some sort for the "are you sure?" box, and the "Stuff added
> under Multifinder may not appear until you restart" box. However, for the
> adventurous at heart, I left the Macsbug symbols in: you can patch out
> the calls to AYSALERT (for the "are you sure?" box) in REMOVEDACCS
> and REMOVEFONTS, and the first call to DOALERT in COPYFONTS and COPYDACCS
> (for the MultiFinder warning box). Of course, the usual caveats apply:
> don't do this to your only copy of FDAM3.8, please don't give the hacked
> version to unsuspecting naive users, etc.
>
> Disclaimer: Have fun, keep backups, and be a good sport.

Bryan Stearns                                            Apple Computer, Inc.
Macintosh Software Engineering             10500 North DeAnza Blvd, M/S 27-AK
stearns@apple.com                                         Cupertino, CA 95014
{nsc,dual,sun,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!stearns "Laugh while you can, monkey boy!"

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (12/08/88)

In article <295@internal.Apple.COM> stearns@Apple.COM (Brian Stearns) writes:
>By the way, if it make you feel better, I really regret not adding
>disables of some sort for the "are you sure?" box, and the "Stuff added
>under Multifinder may not appear until you restart" box. However, for the
>adventurous at heart, I left the Macsbug symbols in: you can patch out
>the calls to AYSALERT (for the "are you sure?" box) in REMOVEDACCS
>and REMOVEFONTS, and the first call to DOALERT in COPYFONTS and COPYDACCS
>(for the MultiFinder warning box). Of course, the usual caveats apply:
>don't do this to your only copy of FDAM3.8, please don't give the hacked
>version to unsuspecting naive users, etc.

  Would it be possible for you to change the code real quick and post a copy
to comp.binaries.mac????

   I know you're real busy, and it's not your job to make custom versions of
the system software for everyone who asks, but I'm sure everyone on the net
would appreciate it. :-)  {I know I would}  We could call it 3.8.1

   You posting was a great help, thanks for taking the time to do it.
David M. O'Rourke                                  dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

"If it doesn't do Windows, then it's not a computer!!!"
Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (12/08/88)

In article <296@internal.Apple.COM> stearns@Apple.COM (Brian Stearns) writes:
>> By the way, if it make you feel better, I really regret not adding
>> disables of some sort for the "are you sure?" box, and the "Stuff added
>> under Multifinder may not appear until you restart" box. However, for the
>> adventurous at heart, I left the Macsbug symbols in: you can patch out
>> the calls to AYSALERT (for the "are you sure?" box) in REMOVEDACCS
>> and REMOVEFONTS, and the first call to DOALERT in COPYFONTS and COPYDACCS
>> (for the MultiFinder warning box). Of course, the usual caveats apply:
>> don't do this to your only copy of FDAM3.8, please don't give the hacked
>> version to unsuspecting naive users, etc.

     Thanks, Brian.  I wish everybody would leave symbols in their
programs.  You can patch out the calls to DOALERT, but you have to do
a little bit more for AYSALERT.  AYSALERT returns a 1 (word) on the
stack if the remove operation is to be completed, and you have to
either supply it, or change a conditional branch to a non-conditional,
as I have done.  The complete patch, according to the above
instructions, appears below.  You want your copy of Font/DA Mover 3.8
to look like File #2, when done.  Same disclaimers apply.

File #1: Font/DA Mover
File #2: Patched Font/DA Mover

Resources have different contents
Resource Type = "CODE"  ID = 2
Contents of resource in file 1 at offset 13788
42 67 4E BA CC 0E 70 01 B0 5F 67 02 60 5E 20 6D     BgN...p.._g.`^ m
Contents of resource in file 2 at offset 13788
4E 71 4E 71 4E 71 4E 71 4E 71 60 02 60 5E 20 6D     NqNqNqNqNq`.`^ m

Contents of resource in file 1 at offset 14192
3F 3C 00 30 4E BA CA CA 4E BA FC 94 2F 2D FE CC     ?<.0N...N.../-..
Contents of resource in file 2 at offset 14192
4E 71 4E 71 4E 71 4E 71 4E BA FC 94 2F 2D FE CC     NqNqNqNqN.../-..

Contents of resource in file 1 at offset 16828
42 67 4E BA C0 2E 70 01 B0 5F 67 04 60 00 00 B6     BgN...p.._g.`...
Contents of resource in file 2 at offset 16828
4E 71 4E 71 4E 71 4E 71 4E 71 60 04 60 00 00 B6     NqNqNqNqNq`.`...

Contents of resource in file 1 at offset 19348
3F 3C 00 30 4E BA B6 A6 20 6D FE CC 20 50 BE 68     ?<.0N... m.. P.h
Contents of resource in file 2 at offset 19348
4E 71 4E 71 4E 71 4E 71 20 6D FE CC 20 50 BE 68     NqNqNqNq m.. P.h
Earle R. Horton. 23 Fletcher Circle, Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 643-4109
Graduate student.

stearns@Apple.COM (Brian Stearns) (12/10/88)

From article <6538@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, by dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke):
>   Would it be possible for you to change the code real quick and post a copy
> to comp.binaries.mac????

Several really great replies spring to mind, so here goes:

"Last time I 'changed the code real quick', we called it version 3.6!"
(turn and throw your mouse through the window behind you and pretend you're
 David Letterman)

or, how 'bout:

"I'd like to, David, but if I did, the Apple Source-Configuration Management
thugs would be on me like bugs on a system disk."

or maybe (my personal fave, with thanks to Ted Kaehler):

"Sorry, I can't. My neural network is down, and my agent is out sick
with a virus."

Seriously, it'd be simpler to make the quick patches that Earle R. Horton
suggests in <11414@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>. Thanks, Earle; I was hoping that
I could post the suggestion, and that some other enterprising soul would
figure out the actual changes and post them. Some would call this "laziness;"
here at Apple, we refer to this as a Third-Party Opportunity.

"And always remember: if you must move fonts, please don't drink."