[comp.sys.mac] nVIR virus found in "Kill Virus"

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (11/23/88)

In article <5563@saturn.ucsc.edu> bushnel@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Bill Bushnell) writes:
> I recently was given a disk full of PD software by a friend.  I checked the
> disk with Interferon 3.1 before running any of the programs.  Interferon gave
> me a error #002, ironically enough, in a file called "Kill Virus INIT" and
> in a file called "Kill Virus."  Just thought I'd let people know...

That may not indicate infection.  The nVIR virus can be kept from
infecting files by installing a dummy "nVIR" resource (ID=10, I
believe).  Some anti-nVIR programs include such a resource in their own
set, and/or will install such a resource in other applications in order
to render these applications immune to infection.

Naturally, the presence of this resource will tend to trigger
infection-alerts by virus-seekers... and so it's not necessarily a
good technique.

By analogy:  there is an effective medical vaccine available against
tuberculosis (I believe it's based on the related "BCG" bacterium)
which is being used in some countries (mostly Third World, I believe).
However, it's not being used in this country, because it interferes
with the standard skin-patch screening test for TB infection.  If
you've received the BCG vaccine, then you'll respond with a "false
positive" if tested for tuberculosis infection.

The medical establishment in this country has decided to emphasize
detection of TB infection, and treatment of those found to be infected,
rather than vaccination against TB.  Apparently, this makes good sense
if the infection-rate is low (less expensive, no adverse allergic
reactions to the vaccine, etc.).  A preventive vaccine is preferable
under conditions in which the disease is more common, victims are more
difficult to locate and identify, or treatment is more difficult to
render.

So... if you're willing to run Interferon frequently (to detect
infections) and apply "safe software sex" techniques (to avoid exposure
to infected applications), then you should probably not use a
dummy-nVIR blocking technique such as (I believe) Kill Virus uses.  On
the other hand, if you're not willing to do these things, then you
might as well install Kill Virus and have it innoculate your
applications against nVIR, and accept the fact that Interferon and
VirusDetective will scream bloody murder.

--
Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) (11/23/88)

Kill Virus is equipped with a foil for the nVIR virus, which will keep it
from getting infected.  However, since the resource is called "nVIR",
it trips up interferon and other such programs.

Kill virus is currently the best program for getting rid of nVIR.  THE
PROGRAM IS ***NOT*** infected!!!!

-Laura

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) (11/24/88)

In article <UXWUfx928k-08X=WMv@andrew.cmu.edu> ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) writes:

>Kill Virus is equipped with a foil for the nVIR virus, which will keep it
>from getting infected.  However, since the resource is called "nVIR",
>it trips up interferon and other such programs.
>
>Kill virus is currently the best program for getting rid of nVIR.  THE
>PROGRAM IS ***NOT*** infected!!!!
>

>-Laura

Does KillVirus protect all applications or just those who were infected?
With applications (pd and others) going through and being copied onto my
drive how will I know if the real (the bad one) nVIR shows up?  It might start
infecting other applications that did not get KillVirus protection.

It seems to me that KillVirus will add confusion to this virus problem

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

newsuser@LTH.Se (LTH network news server) (11/25/88)

In article <UXWUfx928k-08X=WMv@andrew.cmu.edu> ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) writes:

>Kill Virus is equipped with a foil for the nVIR virus, which will keep it
>from getting infected.  However, since the resource is called "nVIR",
>it trips up interferon and other such programs.
>
>Kill virus is currently the best program for getting rid of nVIR.  THE
>PROGRAM IS ***NOT*** infected!!!!

Please do NEVER state that a program is NOT infected. You can't be sure! OK, it
is normal for KillVirus to contain an nVIR resource, but what if some #[%&%[#
idiot has put a real nVIR in it?

--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) (11/27/88)

.
.Please do NEVER state that a program is NOT infected. You can't be sure! OK, it.is normal for KillVirus to contain an nVIR resource, but what if some #[%&%[#
.idiot has put a real nVIR in it?

Ah, but I CAN be sure.

KillVirus is an INIT.  Unless someone goes in and physically puts nVIR
resources into it, there is NO WAY that it can become infected.
And even if someone did put a virus in it, there is no way it could spread
anywhere else.

KillVirus is safe, and I still maintain that its the best nVIR removal
and protection program out there.

Laura Lemay

ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu

jrk@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) (11/28/88)

In article <kXXnAh128k-0EOx2dn@andrew.cmu.edu>, ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) writes:
> Roland Mansson writes, quoting me:
> .Please do NEVER state that a program is NOT infected. You can't be sure!
>
> Ah, but I CAN be sure.
> KillVirus is an INIT.  Unless someone goes in and physically puts nVIR
> resources into it, there is NO WAY that it can become infected.

That's a pretty big unless.  Like saying, "Unless someone physically breaks
in to my house, there is NO WAY anything can be stolen from it".

> And even if someone did put a virus in it, there is no way it could spread
> anywhere else.

Why not?  INITs contain code.  When run, it will do whatever it was
programmed to do.  It may be that nVIR itself doesnt work when run as INIT
code, but there's no reason you cant make INIT viruses, or for that matter
WDEF or cdev or MDEF viruses.

> KillVirus is safe, and I still maintain that its the best nVIR removal
> and protection program out there.

May well be (I dont have it - is it free?  Can someone send me a binhex?)
But how do you know that something called KillVirus hasnt been subverted?

--
Richard Kennaway                SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
uucp:	...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk	Janet:	kennaway@uk.ac.uea.sys

billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (11/29/88)

In article <199@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk> jrk@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) writes:
>In article <kXXnAh128k-0EOx2dn@andrew.cmu.edu>, ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) writes:
>> Roland Mansson writes, quoting me:
>> .Please do NEVER state that a program is NOT infected. You can't be sure!
>>
>> Ah, but I CAN be sure.
>> KillVirus is an INIT.  Unless someone goes in and physically puts nVIR
>> resources into it, there is NO WAY that it can become infected.
>
>That's a pretty big unless.  Like saying, "Unless someone physically breaks
>in to my house, there is NO WAY anything can be stolen from it".

He is right, nVIR is not programmed to infect anything but applications and
System files.  an INIT cannot be infected automatically (someone would have
to use ResEdit and put the nVIR in there, I don't why they would though, see
below)

>> And even if someone did put a virus in it, there is no way it could spread
>> anywhere else.
>
>Why not?  INITs contain code.  When run, it will do whatever it was
>programmed to do.  It may be that nVIR itself doesnt work when run as INIT
>code, but there's no reason you cant make INIT viruses, or for that matter
>WDEF or cdev or MDEF viruses.

nVIR works by patching the CODE resource ID=0 to jump to itself.  INITs don't
contain CODE resources, although they do contain INIT resources which consist
of code, but that isn't the same thing.  Therefore, there is no way for nVIR to
patch anything in order to be executed.  It is a common misconception that
you can just place a resource in a file and it will be executed automatically.

On the other hand, you are right, someone could write an INIT virus (i.e., a
virus that is an INIT resource and spreads to other INIT files), but nVIR
isn't an INIT virus and can't spread through INITs.

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (11/30/88)

In article <3ff51312.129dc@blue.engin.umich.edu> billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu
(Steve Bollinger) writes:
>nVIR works by patching the CODE resource ID=0 to jump to itself.  INITs don't
>contain CODE resources, although they do contain INIT resources which consist
>of code, but that isn't the same thing.  Therefore, there is no way for nVIR to
>patch anything in order to be executed.  It is a common misconception that
>you can just place a resource in a file and it will be executed automatically.

That's exactly how a hypothetical INIT virus would work.  The INIT 31
mechanism will execute all INIT resources with legal ids in an INIT,
RDEV, or cdev file.  It's much easier to write an INIT virus than an
application virus, since all you have to do is put the resource into
the file.  No jump table patching is required.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"When the writer becomes the center of his attention, he becomes a nudnik.

davew@hpdsla.HP.COM (Dave Waller) (11/30/88)

Well gang, Through the continued discussion over how it might or nmight not
be possible to infect the Kill Virus INIT, we have once again given all the
information necessary to write a virus that will operate in just such a
fashion. I am not going to detail these steps, as I don't want to contribute
to some scum's ability to do so. However, although viruses are a hot topic
and everyone want's to know about them, we would be wise to limit discussion
to eradication of known viruses, identification of symptoms, and limit the
technical "how does it work" discussions to more private forums like E-mail or
even better yet, land-lines.

Dave Waller
Technical Computer Group
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Pacific Technology Park
Sunnyvale, CA
(408) 746-5324
[ucbvax!]hplabs!hpdstma!dave

ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) (11/30/88)

Tim Maroney says:

>In article <3ff51312.129dc@blue.engin.umich.edu> billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu
>(Steve Bollinger) writes:
>>nVIR works by patching the CODE resource ID=0 to jump to itself.  INITs don't
>>contain CODE resources, although they do contain INIT resources which consist
>>of code, but that isn't the same thing.  Therefore, there is no way for nVIR to>patch anything in order to be executed.  It is a common misconception that
>>you can just place a resource in a file and it will be executed automatically.>
>That's exactly how a hypothetical INIT virus would work.  The INIT 31
>mechanism will execute all INIT resources with legal ids in an INIT,
>RDEV, or cdev file.  It's much easier to write an INIT virus than an
>application virus, since all you have to do is put the resource into
>the file.  No jump table patching is required.

Yes yes yes.  But the point Steve (as well as myself) is making is that *nVIR*
resources cannot be run without the jump table patching, which INITs don't
have.  A hypothetical virus was not what we were talking about.

And discussion of how to write a "hypothetical virus" might well be better
conducted through Email, rather than posting....who knows what evil hackers
might be out there looking for ideas. :-)

-Laura Lemay

ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu   (nice mail only, I'm a sensitive soul)  :-)

borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) (12/01/88)

In article <223@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> hgw@math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) writes:
>In article <garbage #> ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) writes:
>>
>>Kill Virus is equipped with a foil for the nVIR virus, which will keep it
>>from getting infected.  However, since the resource is called "nVIR",
>>it trips up interferon and other such programs.
>>
>>Kill virus is currently the best program for getting rid of nVIR.  THE
>>PROGRAM IS ***NOT*** infected!!!!
>>
>Does KillVirus protect all applications or just those who were infected?
>With applications (pd and others) going through and being copied onto my
>drive how will I know if the real (the bad one) nVIR shows up?  It might start
>infecting other applications that did not get KillVirus protection.
>
>It seems to me that KillVirus will add confusion to this virus problem

There seems to be plenty of confusion around about nVIR, which is
understandable.  I'll summarize this as I know it; please add corrections
if necessary (but only if you REALLY know--discuss it otherwise) and spread
this information around as widely as possible to avoid this confusion.

nVIR has a built-in inhibitor, probably so that the originator wouldn't
infect his whole system as well.  The virus checks for the existence of the
resource 'nVIR 10' in the System file, and if it's there then it doesn't infect
anything.

The KillVirus INIT from Matthias Urlichs is an INIT that installs this
probitor resource into the System file.  [Programmer note: given the confusion
this now causes, it might have been more appropriate to build that resource on
the fly].  Hence, with the KillVirus INIT your system will be immune to
attacks of nVIR and further spreading of nVIR.

To my knowledge, KillVirus does NOT do anything to applications at all.  Hence,
if you have an infected application, it will be benign on your KillVirus-
protected system, but if you give it to your friend who is not protected, then
he will become infected.

The best solution I know of:

	1) boot from locked positively-healthy system
	2) Run "Vaccination" on ALL programs you have.  This will remove the
	   virus if it exists, preventing further spread.
	3) Replace all Systems with a known good System.  If this is too
	   painful, it can be done with ResEdit hacking, but you'd better
	   know what you're doing.  Just remove all 7 nVIR resources and
	   INIT 32.
	4) Replace the Finder and DA Handler, as the original version of
	   Vaccination did not recognize these and they infect.
	5) Keep KillVirus, VirusWarningINIT, and/or Vaccine in your system
	   folder.  The differences:

KillVirus: defends attacks, will not allow spread.  Installs benign nVIR 10
	   resource in System file.  Does not, I believe, alert you when an
	   attack has occurred.

VirusWarningINIT:
	   emits a series of beeps when an attack (attempt at infection) has
	   occurred.  Does NOT prevent the infection, but you will know about
	   it and hence can immediately kill it.

Vaccine:
	   will cause system bomb when nVIR attacks.  This is because it is
	   trying to use a dialog/menubar at a time when that isn't allowed.
	   Thus, if you have a consistent bomb under MultiFinder with a
	   program you know works, immediately check it for nVIR.

I hope this clarifies a few things.  There are plenty of items that might
have been done much more clearly (the naming of these things, for one) but
they usually originate in a crisis under duress and time pressure.  The best
prevention overall is user education -- a little bit can go a long way.

[Personal note: unfortunately the media could use some as well in order to
 prevent wild rumors, spreading false information and blind fear.]

[[Oh a sample?  CNN during the InterNet Worm crisis:
  4:12 reporter: "...but the virus apparently does not do any damage to data."
  4:25 anchorperson: "stay tuned, in 10 minutes another report on the
	data-devouring virus attacking computers all over the country."
]]

-cbb
--
Chris Borton	borton%uva@mcvax.{nl,bitnet,uucp}
Rotary Scholar, University of Amsterdam CS

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (12/03/88)

In article <579@uva.UUCP> borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) writes:
>In article <223@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> hgw@math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) writes:
>>In article <garbage #> ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) writes:
>nVIR has a built-in inhibitor, probably so that the originator wouldn't
>infect his whole system as well.  The virus checks for the existence of the
>resource 'nVIR 10' in the System file, and if it's there then it doesn't infect
>anything.
>
>The KillVirus INIT from Matthias Urlichs is an INIT that installs this
>probitor resource into the System file.  [Programmer note: given the confusion
>this now causes, it might have been more appropriate to build that resource on
>the fly].  Hence, with the KillVirus INIT your system will be immune to
>attacks of nVIR and further spreading of nVIR.
>
>To my knowledge, KillVirus does NOT do anything to applications at all.  Hence,
>if you have an infected application, it will be benign on your KillVirus-
>protected system, but if you give it to your friend who is not protected, then
>he will become infected.

According to the documentation, KillVirus DOES remove nVIR from any
infected application any time an infected application is launched.

As far as creating the nVIR on the fly, that won't solve any problems.
Everyone will still see that the system is infected with nVIR.

Seeing that so many people are so hyped up about viruses, it would
seem that instead of just throwing all these things in the system
folder and then jumping up and down yelling "It's infected", they'd
take the time to first find out what does what and stop all this
blown out of proportion panicing.

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (12/03/88)

Just a thought, couldn't the nVIR in Kill Virus be one of those phony nVIRs
that fakes the real one out so that it doesn't execute???

Mark Cookson

michael@taniwha.UUCP (Michael Hamel) (12/04/88)

In article <579@uva.UUCP> borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) writes:
>nVIR has a built-in inhibitor, probably so that the originator wouldn't
>infect his whole system as well.  The virus checks for the existence of the
>resource 'nVIR 10' in the System file, and if it's there then it doesn't infect
>anything.

Actually it checks for INIT 32 as well, and my own anti-nVIR program, AntiPan,
installs this into systems to immunise them instead of nVIR 10 because of the
likely confusion.

AntiPan exterminates nVIR from the system files and all applications
on whatever volume you point it at. It also requires you to
reboot if nVIR is resident in the system heap. Someone (I'm afraid I
don't recall who) posted a remark recently saying that AntiPan sometimes
failed. I tried to mail him, but I assume my mail got lost as I have had no
reply. I would be most interested in any known cases of failure, as I know
of none and will fix any bugs when I get back to the sources in New Zealand
next week...

--
"In challenging a kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient.
 You scream and you leap."

Michael Hamel              ..!{unisoft|mtxinu}!taniwha!michael

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (12/07/88)

In article <579@uva.UUCP>,  borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) writes:

> The virus checks for the existence of the resource 'nVIR 10' in the System
> file, and if it's there then it doesn't infect anything.

Actually, nVIR checks for nVIR 10 by calling GetResource.  Therefore,
Suitcase II users can gain the inhibition effect by creating a file containing
an nVIR 10 resource and keeping the file open with Suitcase II.

I am the author of Suitcase II.

--
brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (12/08/88)

In article <226@taniwha.UUCP. michael@taniwha.UUCP (Michael Hamel) writes:
.
.AntiPan exterminates nVIR from the system files and all applications
.on whatever volume you point it at. It also requires you to
.reboot if nVIR is resident in the system heap. Someone (I'm afraid I
.don't recall who) posted a remark recently saying that AntiPan sometimes
.failed. I tried to mail him, but I assume my mail got lost as I have had no
.reply. I would be most interested in any known cases of failure, as I know
.of none and will fix any bugs when I get back to the sources in New Zealand
.next week...

As it happened we discovered nVIR on our system just as AntiPan arrived.  It was
extemely effective but it did fail on a couple of files.  All but one of these
were Lightspeed C applications and Lightspeed C itself.  We used Virus Detective
on those and that seems to have fixed the problem.  Someone has told me that LSC
has nVIR immunity built in (with dummy nVIR resources maybe?), so that might be
the reason.  The only other interesting thing that happened is that even though
AntiPan reported no problem with DA Handler (i.e. it either claimed to have
diinfected it or found it clean), Virus Detective still found nVIR when we ran it
subsequent to using AntiPan.

LSB

michael@taniwha.UUCP (Michael Hamel) (12/11/88)

In article <9062@bcsaic.UUCP> lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) writes:

>As it happened we discovered nVIR on our system just as AntiPan arrived.  It was
>extemely effective but it did fail on a couple of files.  All but one of these
>were Lightspeed C applications and Lightspeed C itself.
Ha! We haven't got LS C at Otago, it must be doing something interesting.
Thank you, I will fix this.

> The only other interesting thing that happened is that even though
>AntiPan reported no problem with DA Handler (i.e. it either claimed to have
>diinfected it or found it clean), Virus Detective still found nVIR when we ran it
>subsequent to using AntiPan.
Damn. AntiPan checks files with a type of 'APPL' or a creator of 'MACS'. I thought
this covered what nVIR could get into, but DA Handler must be an exception. I
will enlarge its range.

Thankyou very much, this is exactly the kind of feedback I need...

--
Where now are those who in times past have opposed the Group of Seventeen?

Michael Hamel
University of Otago                        ..!ucbvax!michael@otago.ac.nz