[comp.sys.mac] PC Tools Deluxe Bug

changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) (12/06/88)

Do all of you remember how many of us have had jolly time for bashing on
Symantec for making Symantec Utilities with bugs? Well, here is a similar,
quite possibly worse case of PC Tools Deluxe by Central Point Software.

For those of you who are not familiar with this program, PC Tools is a
utility package that is quite similar to SUM. I upgraded it from Copy II
Mac (which is also put out by Central Point Software) for $18 (s/h
included).  I liked that program at first. The functionality wasn't nearly
as good as SUM, but for $18, it was a good, cheap investment for the
"safety" of my hard drive.

Less than a week has passed since I got hold of that program. Now I may
have to erase the most important part (undeleting files/taking map of hard
drive) of the PC Tools off my hard drive. It is one heck of a BUGGY program.

The story goes:

A few days ago, I encountered a file that I could not erase. Whenever I put
it into Trash can, my Mac gave me System Error 02. I could not figure out
what was wrong, so painfully I had to globally restore my hard drive :-(

Well, the very same thing happened to my friend's hard drive who also owns
a copy of PC Tools Deluxe. He reinitialized his drive, and the problem was
gone. To make the story short, he re-encountered the same problem yesterday
and somehow suspected CPS Delete Tracking INIT (part of PC Tools) as the
guilty party.  Surprisingly, he was right! As soon as he got rid of CPS
Delete Tracking INIT, he was able to erase the file without any problem.

The system error 02 with the undeletable file just happened to me for the
second time.  Reminded of my friend's experience, I took the CPS Delete
Tracking INIT out of my system folder.  Voila, I was able to erase the
problematic file without encountering any problems. CPS Delete Tracking
INIT is buggy!

So, if any of you are using this INIT, take it out of your system folder!
Or if you really need it (for those of us who don't own SUM), you know
what the guilty party is when you encounter this kind of problem.

We use SUM and PC Tools for securing our precious data. If we cannot put
trust in them, where CAN we?

Chang Woo
----
Chang Woo        HB 2932, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755

pl@unh.UUCP (Paul E. Leclerc) (12/09/88)

In article <11373@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) writes:
> Do all of you remember how many of us have had jolly time for bashing on
> Symantec for making Symantec Utilities with bugs? Well, here is a similar,
> quite possibly worse case of PC Tools Deluxe by Central Point Software.
> Less than a week has passed since I got hold of that program. Now I may
> have to erase the most important part (undeleting files/taking map of hard
> drive) of the PC Tools off my hard drive. It is one heck of a BUGGY program.
>
> The story goes:
 ...........  Deleted for brevity.  Undelete tracking caused problems
> So, if any of you are using this INIT, take it out of your system folder!
> Or if you really need it (for those of us who don't own SUM), you know
> what the guilty party is when you encounter this kind of problem.
> We use SUM and PC Tools for securing our precious data. If we cannot put
> trust in them, where CAN we?
> Chang Woo
Line eater
Line eater
Line eater
Line eater
Line eater

I have had the same problem with the IBM PC version of this program.
It seems very buggy there too.  Can't remember what the symptoms where,
but I finally tracked it down to the undelete tracking.  Otherwise, the
PC version of the program is fantastic (esp. the unfragmenter and backup
program). Oh well, such is life and the magic art of programs..

                        Paul Leclerc

hoofb@psu-cs.UUCP (Bruce Hoof) (12/11/88)

In article <11373@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) writes:
>Do all of you remember how many of us have had jolly time for bashing on
>Symantec for making Symantec Utilities with bugs? Well, here is a similar,
>quite possibly worse case of PC Tools Deluxe by Central Point Software.
>The story goes:
>
>A few days ago, I encountered a file that I could not erase. Whenever I put
>it into Trash can, my Mac gave me System Error 02. I could not figure out
>what was wrong, so painfully I had to globally restore my hard drive :-(
>
>Well, the very same thing happened to my friend's hard drive who also owns
>a copy of PC Tools Deluxe. He reinitialized his drive, and the problem was
>gone. To make the story short, he re-encountered the same problem yesterday
>and somehow suspected CPS Delete Tracking INIT (part of PC Tools) as the
>guilty party.  Surprisingly, he was right! As soon as he got rid of CPS
>Delete Tracking INIT, he was able to erase the file without any problem.
>
>The system error 02 with the undeletable file just happened to me for the
>second time.  Reminded of my friend's experience, I took the CPS Delete
>Tracking INIT out of my system folder.  Voila, I was able to erase the
>problematic file without encountering any problems. CPS Delete Tracking
>INIT is buggy!

	I don't know about this.  I have been using CPS Delete Tracking
for weeks now with no trouble.  Everytime I boot up there it is behaving
well in the background.  I will delete many things at once, one tends to
do that when he has a lots of files, with no problems.  In fact I have
Sums File delete tracking and CPS running at the same time.  Again no
trouble.  I run it with several inits, about nine - ten on average, and
encounter no problem. So you see why I am puzzled.

	Let me suggest a different cause to the problem.  CPS works fine
by itself and might work ok with other inits.  But an init is an init is an
init.  It will have conflicts from time to time with other inits.  I worked
hard to order the inits I now have.  If they do not load in the order that
I have them then my Mac will crash.  Some have to be loaded in before and
after certain inits.  My suggestion is that CPS is conflicting with another
init, or cdev.  If you want the CPS option then try to load it first.  That
might solve the problem.

	On the other hand you might not want it so if it causes you pain then
don't use it.  Case in point.  I was fooling around with FadeToBlack that
was just posted on the net.  I thought it was neet till it crashed while
showing off its icon.  Obvously a conflict somewhere.  Don't need it because
I have been using something else for some time so I junked it.  Oh, well.

>We use SUM and PC Tools for securing our precious data. If we cannot put
>trust in them, where CAN we?

	True. But you have the option of not using them.  They are good
pieces of software and work for the most part.  They just are not perfect.
You do have to watch out from falling into that false sence of security
but in the end it is up to the user.  The last word in file protection is
to BACK IT UP.

Bruce Hoof

DISCLAIMER: I am not attached to any organization.  I am just a poor student
		getting through school. Hopefully soon.

     		  Bruce Hoof | uunet  \                  hoofb@psu-cs   (LOCAL)
    Computer Science Student | ucbvax  }!tektronix!psu-cs!hoofb          (UUCP)
Portland State University CS | gatech /              hoofb@cs.pdx.edu   (CSNET)
Portland Center for Advanced |       /  hoofb%cs.pdx.edu@relay.cs.net (ARPANET)