[comp.sys.mac] Disk initialization Icons

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (12/09/88)

> Paul Christensen writes:

>Where does the Disk Initialization Package get the icons it displays in
>the disk formatting dialog boxes?  On a MacSE or MacII, if you format a
>floppy disk, an icon appears to show you which drive it's in.

>Since my MacII is floor-standing (using the Kensington hardware), I'd
>like to patch the icons to properly match the drive's orientation. Since
>I can't find them in the ROM or System file, I assume they must be in the
>.Sony driver, since the hard disk icons are found in their respective
>drivers.

>Can anybody help me on this one?  Thanks in advance.

The icons _are_ in the device drivers, but probably just stored as bits in
memory. It you are truly gung-ho about this, you can trace through a call
to the driver (control call, csCode=22) to see where it stores the icon.
(The call is documented on IM V-470). Once you find the icon, you would have
to build an appropriate icon in ResEdit, write down the hex, and patch up
the driver.

Personally, I think turning the monitor would be easier :-)

>Paul Christensen

Bob Hablutzel	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

strausd@romana.cs.orst.edu (Douglas E. Strauss) (12/11/88)

I would like to compile a list of Ftp site for macintosh software.
This list will be posted to this news group on completion.
If you know of any sites connected through most any network, please
send them to me at:

	strausd@romana.cs.orst.edu

I don't know our BITNET or other addresses for here as of yet.
In that case posting should also do fine.
Thanks, Doug

Doug Strauss               Internet: strausd@romana.orst.edu
Student in
Computer Science Dept              @      ##  Have an
Oregon State University              > |         ordinary
Corvallis,Oregon 97331             @                    day!
(503) 753-4856

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (12/11/88)

You could also write an INIT resource that patches _Control and looks
for csCode 22 calls and returns your icon.  This is probably better
than patching the driver because it would work with all your disks.

						Tim Smith