[comp.sys.mac] Hard Disk Partition Summary

myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu (jeff myers) (12/11/88)

Thanks to the folks answering my hard disk partitioning software query.
I got no response on the shareware program SoftDisk.  Anybody out there
used the non-demo version?  Anybody know if SilverLining is compatible
with a Dataframe XP60?

Here are the responses I received:

-------------------

From:	IN%"hellerst%husc4@harvard.harvard.edu" 20-NOV-1988 20:14

Let me recommend LaCie's SilverLining software, which comes with their
hard disk, but (I'm pretty sure) can be bought separately.  I've got a
LaCie hard disk, and the software does most of what you want:

> (1) Password protection of partitions.
Yep.  And booting off of a floppy won't override it.

> (2) Absence of untoward reliability problems.
I've used it for half a year, no sweat.  It claims to be compatible with the
following drives:
	Apple HD20
	Apple Mac SE
	Dataframe 20XP
	Dataframe 40XP
	Jasmine 80
	LaCie Cirrus 20,30,40,60
	LaCie Slot Machine 20,30,40,60
	Rodime 20
	Rodime 45

Also compatible with the following "innards" (i.e. regardless of the brand of
disk you have, if the innards are one of the following then it's compatible):
	Connor 40
	Miniscribe 20
	Quantum 80
	Rodime 20
	Rodime 45
	SMS/OMTI 3127

> (3) Compatibility with Disk Express.
That I couldn't tell you.  Disk Express is a backup utility, right?
If so, then I see no reason for it to be uncompatible.  You'd probably have
to backup each partition (i.e. virtual drive) separately.  Or does Disk Express
try to do this for you?

> (4) Password protection for the boot partition which cannot be circumvented
>     by booting from diskette.

Oops.  Yes.  I guess I jumped the gun up above.

Be aware that in order to use this, you'll have to re-format your drive.

Other features include the ability to resize partitions without rebooting,
a park-heads-on-shutdown patch for your system, your choice of a number of
drivers (a default is suggested for you,) and automatic optimization of driver
depending on what type of Mac you're hooked up to (but again, you can
circumvent their choice, if you like.)

I haven't a clue what they charge for the software alone.  You can try writing
them at: 800-999-0143, toll-free.

I have no connection except that of a satisfied customer.

Joe Hellerstein

----------------

From:	IN%"wmayer@elbereth.rutgers.edu" 23-NOV-1988 13:48

	I have used SUM utilities to prepare and partition two Rodime 45Plus
hard drives. One of the attributes of using the partitioning module is
that you can create partitions which will auto-mount upon startup of the
drive and Mac.  If a password is required, you will be prompted for it.
My personal preference is to create separate partitions which require a
password to mount. They are not set to automatically mount upon startup
but must be requested from the "partition DA". In this way, public partitions
mount when they are supposed to and password-protected partitions only
appear when required (and are hence invisible to the user community
when not used).

	Hope this helps.

	Warren Mayer

------------------------

sarrel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (12/12/88)

In article <977@dogie.edu> myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu (jeff myers) writes:

   From:	IN%"hellerst%husc4@harvard.harvard.edu" 20-NOV-1988 20:14

   Let me recommend LaCie's SilverLining software,

   Also compatible with the following "innards" (i.e. regardless of
   the brand of disk you have, if the innards are one of the following
   then it's compatible):
	   Connor 40 Miniscribe 20 Quantum 80 Rodime 20 Rodime 45
	   SMS/OMTI 3127

Are you sure that they're _not_ compatable with Seagate drives?  This
would seem, to me, to be a serious ommission.  I don't own a Seagate
drive, but was considering cooking up my own hard disk with one.  And,
I would like to use this SilverLining software.

--marc