[comp.sys.mac] Color bitmap formats/program

garciar@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (12/12/88)

In article <1495@ge-dab.GE.COM>, junod@ge-dab.GE.COM (Mike Junod) writes:
> Posting for a friend...
>
> From:	ATL::PCHRISTENSEN "Paul Christensen"  8-DEC-1988 09:55
> Subj:	Color Bitmap formats/programs
>

> Does anyone know of a good alternative to PICT2 without the limitations?
> Would you recommend the .GIF format?  I know it uses compression, but really
> isn't a *Mac* standard.  Also, I'm not familiar with its limitations or
> the ability to translate large files to GIF format.
>
> How about alternatives to PixelPaint, like Canvas, Studio/8, GraphistPaintII?
> How do their file compressions/load & save times compare to PixelPaint and
> PICT2 format?  I'm more interested in file access/size than interchange
> capability with other programs. After all, if I own the program I can always
> export portions of the files in PICT2 format for exchange.
>
> Also, can any of the color paint programs paste/make selections greater than
> the window size?  This is a really annoying drawback of Pixel Paint.
>

>I wouldn't recommend GIF format.  The time it takes to decompress the image
is annoyingly long.  I've also run into situations were the compressed GIF file
is actually a little bit larger than the uncompressed file.

I too find the limitation of not being able to select an item greater than the
window size frustrating.  I'd recommend you look at Canvas 2.0.  It does not
have that limitation and it has the added benefit of dealing with pixels (paint)
as well as objects (draw) simultaneously.

  Rudy