[comp.sys.mac] Mac 128 K !!?

ews356@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (12/09/88)

Could anyone tell me what a 128K Mac is worth nowadays ?

Is the thing worth upgrading ?  How ?

Should I just sell it for scrap ?

Eric W Sink
ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
ews356@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu

ews356@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (12/10/88)

An addition to my base note:

Please do not respond via mail to the address from which I posted.

The

ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

address is ok.  Also, obviously the Mac 128k is for sale if
anyone is interested...

-Eric

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (12/12/88)

In article <46700091@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> ews356@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Could anyone tell me what a 128K Mac is worth nowadays ?
>
>Is the thing worth upgrading ?  How ?
>
>Should I just sell it for scrap ?
>
>Eric W Sink
>ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>ews356@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu

If you don't feel like selling or scrapping your Mac, here's one
possible use for it:

There's a nice little program out there that enables you to use your
old Mac as a "gateway" between a computer that wants to talk directly
to the LaserWriter as a serial device and the LocalTalk network it sits
on.

Basically, you just leave the LaserWriter hooked up to the LocalTalk
network so other Macs can print to it normally.  You then hook the 128k
Mac up to the network and plug the serial line coming from the Unix or
MS-DOS box into the Mac's serial port.  The program running on the Mac
does nothing but wait for stuff to come in the serial port.  When
something does, it just takes it and shoves out onto LocalTalk.

Anyway, this keeps you from having to flip those little switches on the
LaserWriter back and forth to keep switching it from LocalTalk to
serial.

Of course, you could also take out the picture tube and use it as a Mac
Aquarium....  :-)

( If anyone is interested, I believe the program is called ATPrint,
and it should be available on Compuserve, etc.  I can find out some
more about it, or even try to post/mail it if there's sufficient demand. )

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."