[comp.sys.mac] File recovery program?

michali@savax.UUCP (Paul C. Michali) (12/01/88)

What would be the "best" tool(s) for performing file recovery/disk repair on
a Mac+?

I am looking for a tool or tools which can recover deleted files, extract data
from a damaged hard disk or floppy, etc.

I would like to have the tools available so I can A) be prepared for any future
problems and B) better understand disk storage structures.  At work we have had
a few close calls with bad floppy drives,  crashed hard disks, etc. and I would like to be well prepared in case of disaster.

Any suggestions?  Problems?  Does the program work with HFS? Hard disks?

Thanks in advance
PCM

sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) (12/01/88)

In article <817@savax.UUCP> michali@savax.UUCP (Paul C. Michali) writes:
>I am looking for a tool or tools which can recover deleted files, extract data
>from a damaged hard disk or floppy, etc.

I use Symantec Utilities for the Macintosh (SUM).  Very happy with it.

   DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed herein are mine!  All MINE!!! *heh*
  David Martosko                         E-mail:sage@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU
  Dartmouth College HB 2216               Phone:(603) 640-4753
  Hanover, NH 03755

changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) (12/01/88)

In article <11271@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) writes:
>In article <817@savax.UUCP> michali@savax.UUCP (Paul C. Michali) writes:
>>I am looking for a tool or tools which can recover deleted files, extract data
>>from a damaged hard disk or floppy, etc.
>
>I use Symantec Utilities for the Macintosh (SUM).  Very happy with it.
>
>   DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed herein are mine!  All MINE!!! *heh*
>  David Martosko                         E-mail:sage@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU
>  Dartmouth College HB 2216               Phone:(603) 640-4753
>  Hanover, NH 03755

I just got PC Tools Deluxe from Central Point Software. Since I am a
registered user of Copy II Mac, CPS has offered $18 (including s/h) for
upgrading to PC Tools. Well, I think Symantec Utilities, as a whole
package, is a better product for recovering deleted files, especially
for recovering crashed disk, than PC Tools. However, for $18, it is one
heck of a great value.

PC Tools offer equivalency of Symantec Utilities' Guardian & Shield
recovery systems, a file/text retriever DA (works in background!), a HD
backup program (a kind of mediocre program, but the selection of folders
to backup/restore gives me a good compliment to my DiskFit backup
system), Data encryption/compression utility (I would still use
StuffIt), Sector Editor and some other nifty goodies.

In overall, I like it -- especially for $18, it is a steal. Yes, there
are some quirks, and I am not too sure whether I would have bought it
for the full price, but if you are a registered user of Copy II Mac, it
is worth a shot. (PC Tools behave better with Multifinder, at least
according to the manual)

Standard disclaimers apply.

Chang Woo
----
Chang Woo        HB 2932, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755
                 changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU

dcc@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) (12/08/88)

the PD program File Fixer works nicely for recovering files from a floppy.
doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, and is limited, but if you're
looking for something in the public domain, this works well.

daniel carr
dcc@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

relkin@pacsbb.UUCP (Ron Elkin) (12/13/88)

I recently received my copy of PCTools for $18.00 and found it well worth
the money. The Mirror program keeps and invisible directory of your hard
disk and this can also be copied to a floppy for further protection. If the
HD crashes you use the Recovery program to read this directory off of the
HD and you should be able to be restored within minutes. If the HD is frag-
mented so badly that the Recovery program cannot read the directory on the
HD, you can read it off of you floppy backup and again be merrily on your
way to HD restoration. PC Tools also comes with a highly rated file finder
DA called Locate.