[comp.sys.mac] MacsBug screen dimmer: Who wrote it?

viking@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) (12/06/88)

Does anyone have any experience with the MacsBug screen dimmer?  This
application is only 2,422 bytes long and seems to work well with all
68000 macs (not the Mac II).  It installs itself with a message in the
"Welcome to Macintosh" dialog at boot-up.

MacsBug displays a clockface that appears at random locations every
second while the screen is dimmed.  It was developed early in the life
cycle of the Mac (I believe) and yet it works with Multifinder and all
new systems software.

I've seen a debugger called MacsBug by Dan Allen (version 5.4) and I'm
wondering if the programs had a common origin.  (The debugger has no
similar functionality...just the same name).

Is this screen dimmer a public domain program?  Shareware?  Does
anyone know who developed it?  Is it in common use?  (Out here, south
of the Indiana cornfields, we never seem to get anything new until
it's old hat on either coast...)  :-)

Thanks for any help with this...

Jon W. Backstrom             "Yah sure...we gonna have fun, you bet!"
Computer Science Department
Indiana University           Internet: viking@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Lindley Hall 101             UUCP: {ames,rutgers,pur-ee,att}!iuvax!viking
Bloomington, IN  47405

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (12/07/88)

MacsBug is not the actual name of the screen saver.  It is AutoBlank and it
was written by a professor here at Kansas State University.  His name is
Tom Pittman.

***/\/\****/\/\******/\/\****/\* Saiid Paryavi
**/*/\*\**/*/\*\****/*/\*\**/*/* paryavi@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu
*/*/**\*\/*/**\*\**/*/**\*\/*/** paryavi@ksuvax1.BITNET
*\/****\/\/****\*\/\/****\/\/*** {pyramid,ucsd}!ncr-sd!ncrwic!ksuvax1!paryavi

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (12/09/88)

In article <15580@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> viking@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) writes:
<Does anyone have any experience with the MacsBug screen dimmer?

<MacsBug displays a clockface that appears at random locations every
<second while the screen is dimmed.  It was developed early in the life
<cycle of the Mac (I believe) and yet it works with Multifinder and all
<new systems software.

This isn't a direct answer to your question (who wrote MacsBug?), but if
your real intent is to get a screen saver with a randomly placed clockface,
you can get this with Pyro Version 3. Mine came with the Suitcase upgrade
but I believe you can get it separately from Fifth Generation.

From an ex-hoosier who used to have nightmares about having to return to
midwest winters...

Shirley Kehr

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (12/13/88)

In article <15580@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> viking@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with the MacsBug screen dimmer?  This
>application is only 2,422 bytes long and seems to work well with all
>68000 macs (not the Mac II).  It installs itself with a message in the
>
>I've seen a debugger called MacsBug by Dan Allen (version 5.4) and I'm
>wondering if the programs had a common origin.  (The debugger has no
>similar functionality...just the same name).
>
>Is this screen dimmer a public domain program?  Shareware?  Does

I'll try a shot at this one:

The screen dimmer was originally entitled MacsBug so that it could masquerade
as MacsBug and get loaded in at boot time (before INIT31 auto loading days).
More recently, it has been renamed "AutoBlack", and is now a real "INIT".
It has no relation with MacsBug other than that (I assume) they are mutually
exclusive.

As I do not use it, I forget the author.  I think it is shareware.
--
Rich Straka     att!ihlpf!straka

Avoid BrainDamage: MSDOS - just say no!

wade@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Gary L. Wade) (12/14/88)

In article <6922@ihlpf.ATT.COM> straka@ihlpf.UUCP (55223-Straka,R.J.) writes:
*In article <15580@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> viking@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) writes:
*>Does anyone have any experience with the MacsBug screen dimmer?  This
*>application is only 2,422 bytes long and seems to work well with all
*>68000 macs (not the Mac II).  It installs itself with a message in the
*>
*>I've seen a debugger called MacsBug by Dan Allen (version 5.4) and I'm
*>wondering if the programs had a common origin.  (The debugger has no
*>similar functionality...just the same name).
*>
*>Is this screen dimmer a public domain program?  Shareware?  Does
*
*I'll try a shot at this one:
*
*The screen dimmer was originally entitled MacsBug so that it could masquerade
*as MacsBug and get loaded in at boot time (before INIT31 auto loading days).
*More recently, it has been renamed "AutoBlack", and is now a real "INIT".
*It has no relation with MacsBug other than that (I assume) they are mutually
*exclusive.
*
*As I do not use it, I forget the author.  I think it is shareware.

As for the author, his name is Tom Pittman, and if you want to contact him,
his mailing address is available via the AutoBlack program...if I remember
right, it comes up at the start when it is initialized.  If not, then it
might come up when you double-click on the program while holding down the
option and command keys....  Tom has been teaching here at K-State, but will
be going back into full practice as a software developer sometime next week.