[comp.sys.mac] out of memory errors

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (12/10/88)

i've run into a problem with my mac II that i am unable to solve.  I
am unable to remove, rename or modify a particular folder on my
desktop.  somehow the file system on this hard disk has become
corrupted.  i'm certain the problem is not the disk drive.

when i do try to perform operations on this folder, the mac claims
that the folder is busy.  worse... i am getting "no more memory"
errors from my jasmine direct tape utility while setting up the dump
parameters.  i cannot rebuild the desktop since doing so also
generates out of memory errors.  i was hoping that rebuilding the
desktop would allow me to remove the wierd folder.

i have 8 meg of memory on my machine by the way, and  140 meg hard
disk.

any suggestions to correcting this problem?

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

"The only thing more useless than a Faberge' egg is a coffee table
picture book about Faberge' eggs"

vmrad@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0048;0000008326;500;737;56;) (12/14/88)

In article <7434@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:

>i've run into a problem with my mac II that i am unable to solve.  I
>am unable to remove, rename or modify a particular folder on my
>desktop.  somehow the file system on this hard disk has become
>corrupted.  i'm certain the problem is not the disk drive.
>

>i have 8 meg of memory on my machine by the way, and  140 meg hard
>disk.

I would assume you are running under Multi-Finder with a machine
like this.  Under this assumption...

>any suggestions to correcting this problem?

Restart under Finder and try to re-build the desktop.  The Multi-Finder
partition for Finder is large enough for most operations.  One of the
few operations it is not large enough for is re-building a large
disk.

Good Luck.