[comp.sys.mac] Info Needed - Joining Macs to PC-NFS Sun System

heath@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Todd Heatherton) (12/06/88)

Our department has recently started using a Sun system.  We have
all of the local pc's hooked up using PC-NFS and Telnet.  We also
have a few Macs in our department that we would like to hook up
to the Network.  I have heard that TOPS works well. How does it
work?  Do all computers on the Net need to be running TOPS (this
won't work since the IBM users will hesitate to increase the
complexity of their workstations)? I would appreciate hearing
from anyone who has used TOPS in a network that has used macs
and pcs.

Alternatively, does anyone know of other--better--methods of
hooking macs into our network?

heath@utcs.utoronto.ca    or try me at heath@psych.utoronto.ca

No disclaimer since nobody really cares what I think, except me!!!

cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) (12/09/88)

Yes, TOPS works, but does need to be installed on each machine using it.
For a specifically Mac to NFS solution, examine the "Gator Box" from
Cayman Systems (617/494-1999). It's a hardware protocol converter between
AppleTalk and NFS, and requires no software to be installed on the PC/NFS
side. See also the MacWeek supplement on gateways in the Nov. 15 issue.

Disclaimer: I haven't used this system, but it specifically relates to NFS.
Opinions: my own.

--Cy--

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/14/88)

In article <492@dbase.UUCP> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
>Yes, TOPS works, but does need to be installed on each machine using it.

Uh, I think it's well known I'm no great fan of TOPS, but I feel this is
a misleading answer.  The question was whether TOPS had to be installed
on every machine on the network.  The answer is no; the PCs can continue
to use PC-NFS, while Macs use TOPS; the PCs don't need TOPS.  The UNIX
machines will have to run both NFS and TOPS servers, which don't conflict.

The PCs won't have direct access to Mac servers this way, but presumably if
the site has found PC-NFS sufficient, they don't care about servers on the
micros anyway.  (In light of the following, I should point out that a
GatorBox/AFP solution doesn't even allow the Macs to be servers among
themselves, much less to PCs.)

>For a specifically Mac to NFS solution, examine the "Gator Box" from
>Cayman Systems (617/494-1999). It's a hardware protocol converter between
>AppleTalk and NFS, and requires no software to be installed on the PC/NFS
>side. See also the MacWeek supplement on gateways in the Nov. 15 issue.

It sure doesn't; neither does TOPS.  Also, the reports from the field are
that it doesn't work.  When a representative of Cayman, who also worked on
the disastrous HyperNet project, wrote me to discuss it, he made an amazing
number of obvious technical errors; when I pointed this out, he got huffy
and refused to speak to me any more.  So don't hold your breath waiting for
this solution to be real.

>Disclaimer: I haven't used this system, but it specifically relates to NFS.

Those who have used it express great optimism but concur that it does not
work as presently available.  Wait for new versions and revised reports
from real users before buying or endorsing the GatorBox.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Americans will buy anything, as long as it doesn't cross the thin line

ijlustig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Irvin Lustig) (12/14/88)

In article <6053@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:

>>For a specifically Mac to NFS solution, examine the "Gator Box" from
>>Cayman Systems (617/494-1999). It's a hardware protocol converter between
>>AppleTalk and NFS, and requires no software to be installed on the PC/NFS
>>side. See also the MacWeek supplement on gateways in the Nov. 15 issue.
>
>It sure doesn't; neither does TOPS.  Also, the reports from the field are
>that it doesn't work.
>
>Those who have used it express great optimism but concur that it does not
>work as presently available.  Wait for new versions and revised reports
>from real users before buying or endorsing the GatorBox.
>--
>Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
>"Americans will buy anything, as long as it doesn't cross the thin line

What do you mean by "does not work as presently available."
This is a note to state that the GatorBox DOES work.  There are some minor
bugs, depending mostly on which type of Unix box you're running NFS on.  Cayman
hasn't checked it with all NFS implementations and knows of certain bugs
on certain implementations.  But the problems we have found are minor when
you consider the extra power that is made available by having the box.

	-Irv Lustig
	Assistant Professor
	Dept. of Civil Engineering and Operations Research
	Princeton University
	irv%basie@princeton.edu

rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) (12/15/88)

From article <6053@hoptoad.uucp>, by tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney):
> In article <492@dbase.UUCP> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:

>>For a specifically Mac to NFS solution, examine the "Gator Box" from
>>Cayman Systems (617/494-1999). It's a hardware protocol converter between
>>AppleTalk and NFS, and requires no software to be installed on the PC/NFS
>>side. See also the MacWeek supplement on gateways in the Nov. 15 issue.
>
> It sure doesn't; neither does TOPS.  Also, the reports from the field are
> that it doesn't work.  When a representative of Cayman, who also worked on
> the disastrous HyperNet project, wrote me to discuss it, he made an amazing
> number of obvious technical errors; when I pointed this out, he got huffy
> and refused to speak to me any more.  So don't hold your breath waiting for
> this solution to be real.

I have to come to Caymans defense on this one. I currently have a GatorBox
using revision 1.14 of the software and so far it seems to work pretty well.
As a matter of fact, I am currently writing to you from a Mac connected
via AppleTalk to a GatorBox sitting on an Ethernet backbone along with our
Sun. The telnet application (NCSA Telnet 2.2) is being executed from the
Suns hard drive.

I wont say that there are not some minor application incompatabilities,
but when I have had problems, Cayman technical support has been _very_
responsive.

By and large, the system appears to perform very well and I would
reccommend that people needing this type of connectivity investigate
this product.

	Disclamer: I have no relationship with Cayman Systems other than
		   that of a satisfied customer :^}.

||    Randy Thompson                   ||                                  ||
||    /SMS Data Products Group, Inc.   ||        uunet!smsdpg!rht          ||
||    12379A Sunrise Valley Drive      ||                                  ||
||    Reston, Va 22091                 ||      Voice:  703/648-9400        ||