[comp.sys.mac] curly quotes

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (12/15/88)

In Article <867@thor.stolaf.edu>, sobiloff@thor.stolaf.edu (Blake N.
Sobiloff) sez:

>Does anyone out there know of a public domain or shareware program that
>will automatically change the normal straight quotes to curly quotes while
>typing? I normally use Word and WriteNow if it makes any difference.

WriteNow 2.0 (a fine program in many other ways) includes a SmartQuotes
feature; I believe that Word 4.0 (when it shows its face) will also.

I'd feel more secure using a feature if it's part of my application
than relying on an INIT, where there is greater possibility of strange
interactions.  Just my opinion.

John Heckendorn

I'd be more secure using the feature if it's been embedded in my
application
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (12/15/88)

In article <18298@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:
>In Article <867@thor.stolaf.edu>, sobiloff@thor.stolaf.edu (Blake N.
>Sobiloff) sez:
>
>>Does anyone out there know of a public domain or shareware program that
>>will automatically change the normal straight quotes to curly quotes while
>>typing? I normally use Word and WriteNow if it makes any difference.
>
>WriteNow 2.0 (a fine program in many other ways) includes a SmartQuotes
>feature; I believe that Word 4.0 (when it shows its face) will also.
>
>I'd feel more secure using a feature if it's part of my application
>than relying on an INIT, where there is greater possibility of strange
>interactions.  Just my opinion.
>
>John Heckendorn

true, but while I was using it I never had a single wierd thing happen with
smart quotes (the da).  also, smartquotes does several other things that
the apps generally wont do (I say this based on Fullwrite which has smart
quotes, but not the other features, I dont know about word)  The da will
also convert double hyphens ('--') to em dashes (the long dash) and can also
be set to watch for ligature pairs if you're working in a font that supports
them.  Of course it seems to me that all these functions could be implemented
fairly straightforwardly just using the script manager.  anyone game?

Josh

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104