[comp.sys.mac] Acknowledge

lauri@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Georges Lauri) (12/13/88)

My esperience with Acknowledge has been more on the hegative side.
I bought the product because I do a lot of telecom with Europe
and wanted to automate a lot of it. Acknowledge is really just an interpreter;
it comes with a set of demo "Communication Programs" that do things
like BBS, terminal emulation, etc... The first problem I discovered
were bugs in their programs, which are supposed to be usable as is.
Since source code is delivered, it was not too hard to fix them, although
their communication language is a monstrosity of ugliness (unless
you like basic). The second problem was that their file transfer is limited
in terms of protocols (only xmodem) and flaky.  The third problem is that
modifying the provided applications to say, suit my modem setup
was extremely frustrating because all their programs are written
in the worst of spaghetti code.
So while the idea of Acknowledge is good, I found the implementation to
be sorely lacking in power, flexibility, and cleanliness of
organization.  It does the job, but slowly, buggily, and I am not
using it for the purpose I intended.
						Georges Lauri
						lauri@cs.cornell.edu

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (12/13/88)

In article <23387@cornell.UUCP> lauri@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Georges Lauri) writes:
     | My esperience with Acknowledge has been more on the
     | hegative side. I bought the product because I do a lot of
     | telecom with Europe and wanted to automate a lot of it.
     | Acknowledge is really just an interpreter; it comes with a
     | set of demo "Communication Programs" that do things like
     | BBS, terminal emulation, etc... The first problem I
     | discovered were bugs in their programs, which are supposed
     | to be usable as is. Since source code is delivered, it was
     | not too hard to fix them, although their communication
     | language is a monstrosity of ugliness (unless you like
     | basic).

The language is a little obtuse, but it's great advantage is that you can
change it on the fly, to debug (even while online, if it's written
correctly), and the whole process is very interactive.

I have found that the best approach is not to try to modify someone elses
code in Acknowledge.  Most of the sample applications supplied seem to be
written by different people, this means that the source is commented in a
different manner, sometimes well, sometimes not.  Sometimes the code is
really threaded, and in other examples it is quite structured.  It does
appear kind of piece-meal when you first look at it.

I found that by printing out the samples and looking for neat techniques
to acomplish particular tasks I had in mind, was the easiest way to put
the samples to use, rather than using them as written.

After a short period, I also discovered that modifying any of the sample
code was definately not the way to go, cos your just too confined to how
someone else invisaged thier program to be, and your forever falling over
what someone else wrote.

I started from scratch and built up a complete Mac-Xenix e-mail system,
and I'm satisfied with it.  This is not to say that there are not points
in Acknowledge that don't always glow with gold or that I'd never change a
thing about the operation or functionality of Acknowledge, if I had the
chance.

Acknowledge is a telecommunications construction kit, and I think if it is
viewed in this light, then it makes sense that a reasonable amount of
development effort will have to be put into developing the kinds of
applications that are specific to individual needs.

I've found only a few bugs in Acknowledge, so I would certainly like to
know what kinds of problems you've been having, perhaps you can e-mail me
(if they are code problems, I don't want to know.. I've long since stopped
looking at the samples for guidence, and prefer to roll my own, but
perhaps you might take the time to e-mail SuperMac).

I've found that intermittent bus errors on a Mac ][, seemed to only happen
when my source reached and hovered around a particular size.

I've also had problems with line noise causing Acknowledge to lock up the
serial port.

There is also a problem with text loss, at uninterupted high speed text
sends (9600 baud).  Red Ryder and Acknowledge are the only comms apps I
have that do this when sending text to my host.  Microphone, Versaterm and
pcLink (now PacerLink) work 100% with no line or character delay, and I
get screaming throughput.  Acknowledge also had screaming throughput,
however, without substantial line delays, causes a lot of text to be lost,
and thus decreases functional throughput.

I have the feeling that Acknowledge is munging with one of the port
parameters to do this, cos if I run pcLink after Acknowledge, I get text
losses from pcLink also, and that is the only time I have ever seen text
corruption in pcLink.  If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd
appreciate it.

     | The second problem was that their file transfer is
     | limited in terms of protocols (only xmodem) and flaky.

Text, XMODEM and MacBinary are supported.  YMODEM and Kermit are not
supported, but am told that Kermit will be a plug in module supplied by
Apple with the comms manager. YMODEM, I don't know when we are likely to
see this.

I've had no problems at all with either MacBinary or XMODEM.

     | The third problem is that modifying the provided
     | applications to say, suit my modem setup was extremely
     | frustrating because all their programs are written in the
     | worst of spaghetti code. So while the idea of Acknowledge
     | is good, I found the implementation to be sorely lacking
     | in power, flexibility, and cleanliness of organization.

Hmm, I tend to disagree with only one point here, and that is the
flexability issue.  Appart from a few annoyances, like not being able to
create array variables from a lookup table (in fact general inability to
use arrays outside of specific dialog functions), flexability is one of
it's best points.  I guess it depends on how much you want to do and how
much you expect Acknowledge to do for you.

     | It does the job, but slowly, buggily, and I am not using
     | it for the purpose I intended.

Yes there are some areas that are painfully slow, but if managed correctly
then they are less obtrusive.  When you write anything with Acknowledge
you must think "basic".. in fact it helps if you think "Applesoft Basic",
and structure your programs accordingly.

Lookup Table variables take an age to load in.  Double clicking a line is
not nearly as responsive as it should be.  An additional command
enhancment to the LOOK FOR function would be LOOK FOR DoubleClick (look
for triple click would be nice also, cos currently the triple click
function is just not reliable enough).

All in all, Acknowledge, although it doesn't shine brightly all the time,
it's still worth a look for anyone considering doing custom
telecommunications programming.

     | Georges Lauri
     | lauri@cs.cornell.edu

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012         {AppleLink - shared account}  -        caffeine haze :-)

jay@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Jay O'Conor) (12/16/88)

In article <61@microsoft.UUCP>, stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) writes:

> Text, XMODEM and MacBinary are supported.  YMODEM and Kermit are not
> supported, but am told that Kermit will be a plug in module supplied by
> Apple with the comms manager. YMODEM, I don't know when we are likely to
> see this.

Acknowledge will only be truly useful (to me) when it allows the creation of
other communication protocols.  My immediate need is for the UUCP 'g' protocol.
After that, It would be desirable to have it deal with UUCP over Ethernet
via AppleTalk connected to a Kinetics Fastpath or equivalent.
Other protocols would be nice, too.  It would be interesting to attempt to
duplicate the AppleLink or MacNET protocols to allow the creation of a custom
front end to these services using Acknowledge.  At the August MacWorld Expo I
asked SuperMac what their plans were for being able to support other protocols,
and of course their answer was "wait for Apple to release the comm manager".
Anybody know anything about the comm manager?  The only knowledge I have is
it's ability to handle more communications ports on a board in an SE or II.
What will it's relationship be with a program like Acknowledge?

Jay O'Conor
Convergent Technologies