[comp.sys.mac] 4 Meg simms

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (12/10/88)

I recently saw an ad in MacWeek for 4 meg simms. That's right, 4 megs.  Does anyone know anything about these (price, performance, reliability)?

thanks

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (12/10/88)

In article <EXc49-y00UgXM0wn93@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
>I recently saw an ad in MacWeek for 4 meg simms. That's right, 4 megs.  Does anyone know anything about these (price, performance, reliability)?
>
>thanks

I saw them too and I think they are a simm with 32 1 meg chips on each simm.

In the advert they mention that a MAC IIX can be configured with 16 or 32 Mb,
They do not mention the MACII.  Is there anything stopping their use in a macII?

Mark Interrante   		Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"Imagine what it would be like if TV actually were good. It would be the end
 of everything we know."  Marvin Minsky

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (12/10/88)

In article <19553@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>In article <EXc49-y00UgXM0wn93@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
>>I recently saw an ad in MacWeek for 4 meg simms. That's right, 4 megs.  Does anyone know anything about these (price, performance, reliability)?
>>
>>thanks
>
>In the advert they mention that a MAC IIX can be configured with 16 or 32 Mb,
>They do not mention the MACII.  Is there anything stopping their use in a macII?

It should work great, the Mac II supports 256K, 1 Meg, 4 Meg, and 16 Meg SIMMS,
for a total of up to 128M on board RAM.

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (12/11/88)

Don't be so sure that they will work... The Mac II supposedly supports
256K, 1 meg, 4 meg, etc... SIMMs, but there are some bugs on the boards.

Apparently, the max may be 8 megs.  So plug in 4 4Meg SIMMS would either give
you a 8Meg machine, or nothing at all.

There was a discussion about the possibility of using 4 meg simms in a II a
couple of months back, and the conclusion was that it could go either way.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu
there may be a minor bug fix in one of the revisions of the motherboard.

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (12/11/88)

(William M. Bumgarner) writes...

>Apparently, the max may be 8 megs.  So plug in 4 4Meg SIMMS would either give
>you a 8Meg machine, or nothing at all.

I think there is a current 8 meg limit on Mac memory, but that has to do
with the Mac OS, which is being rewritten.  In future (revision 8.0 ?) the Mac
should be able to deal with more memory.

Robert
=========
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
=========
disclaimer: all these opinions are mine...

awzy@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (12/11/88)

>>In the advert they mention that a MAC IIX can be configured with 16 or 32 Mb,
>>They do not mention the MACII.  Is there anything stopping their use in a macII?
>
>It should work great, the Mac II supports 256K, 1 Meg, 4 Meg, and 16 Meg SIMMS,
>for a total of up to 128M on board RAM.

The only problem I could see is that the current mac OS supports only 8Mb
(is that right ?), so you would have to use A/UX to use the entire memory.

I don't understant why they only mention the IIx and not the II in their ad,
maybe they think that every IIx are going to be used with unix ??? :-)

--------------------------
Alain Dumesny
awzy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

pst@canary.cdi.com (Paul Traina) (12/11/88)

From article <19553@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, by mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante):
< In article <EXc49-y00UgXM0wn93@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
<>I recently saw an ad in MacWeek for 4 meg simms. That's right, 4 megs.  Does anyone know anything about these (price, performance, reliability)?
<>
<>thanks
<
< I saw them too and I think they are a simm with 32 1 meg chips on each simm.
<
< In the advert they mention that a MAC IIX can be configured with 16 or 32 Mb,
< They do not mention the MACII.  Is there anything stopping their use in a macII?

News I heard from a friend who hears some inside gossip at Apple (i.e. it's
probably true, but the news has gone through a few hands first) is that
to use 4mb SIMMs on a Mac II, you will need "the new ROMs."  Now, this could
be just the rev-B ROMs which were necessary to fix the 32-bit mode problems
with the National Semiconductor external RAM cards (actually, Apple's fault,
not NSC) or it could be some new rev-C ROM...

Sorry I can't be more specific, I'll dig up some more info next week and
post a definite yes-or-no.  Under any circumstance, I would assume the IIx
will deal with 4mb SIMMs w/o any problems.

------
Paul Traina		pst@condor.cdi.com	...pyramid!comdesign!pst

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (12/12/88)

In article <19553@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>In the advert they mention that a MAC IIX can be configured with 16 or 32 Mb,
>They do not mention the MACII.  Is there anything stopping their use in a macII?

I had my Mac II up and running A/UX with 17Mb of RAM in the SIM sockets a
few months ago (it could have been 20MB if I'd played more games juggling
SIMs :-) - it runs just nicely thank you with 10Mb of disk cache!. A/UX seems
to do the correct things about sizing memory when it boots (congrats A/UX
folks!) ... But in order to get the MacOS up to boot A/UX we had to do a
ROM swap .... seems that the MacOS can't handle more than 8Mb of memory
(I guess no one was in a position to test it when they were doing the
ROMs - c'est la vie). Also the MacOS is in a different position with the
way in which it lays out its memory (it has only room for 8Mb or RAM) so
there are probably other problems that aren't obvious from first glance.

My guess would be that they have wixed this problem in the ROM version that
is shipped with the IIx. Now will there be an upgrade available? 4Mb RAM
chips are sampling NOW .....

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell			..!{unisoft|mtxinu}!taniwha!paul (415)420-8179
Taniwha Systems Design, Oakland CA

 	"Read my lips .... no GNU taxes"

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (12/13/88)

In article <sXcMwDy00UgXQ4VntR@andrew.cmu.edu> wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) writes:
>Don't be so sure that they will work... The Mac II supposedly supports
>256K, 1 meg, 4 meg, etc... SIMMs, but there are some bugs on the boards.
>
>there may be a minor bug fix in one of the revisions of the motherboard.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I should say so.  My Mac II has the IIx motherboard in it, and I don't mean
any kind of upgrade.  It just happens that Apple only makes one '6 slot'
motherboard, and it is used for the IIx and the II.  The only differences are
that the II has ROM DIP sockets soldered on, and the IIx has ROM SIMM sockets,
and that the IIx has the solder holes where the PMMU socket should be filled
in through all four layers (a lot of pass-throughs in a pattern).  In short,
if the IIx takes 4 Meg SIMMS, then the II will too.  And although Apple may
be jerks, they are always good about bug-fixes.  If you have the old 24-bit
ROM and get a RAM card, they will upgrade your motherboard free.  Expect the
same thing for 4 Meg SIMMS.

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/14/88)

A lot of people have mentioned that the Mac II OS can't cope with more
than 8 megabytes of RAM -- here's why.  The ROM starts at the 8 meg
mark.  I guess A/UX gets around this by using the PMMU to remap it.
This implies that the Mac OS won't be able to cope until it has PMMU
support (which will be a great day for us developers), and of course
you'll need to buy a 68851 to have more than 8 megabytes.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Conversion, fastidious Goddess, loves blood better than brick, and feasts

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (12/14/88)

In article <6051@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>A lot of people have mentioned that the Mac II OS can't cope with more
>than 8 megabytes of RAM -- here's why.  The ROM starts at the 8 meg
>mark.  I guess A/UX gets around this by using the PMMU to remap it.
>This implies that the Mac OS won't be able to cope until it has PMMU
>support (which will be a great day for us developers), and of course
>you'll need to buy a 68851 to have more than 8 megabytes.

The Mac hardware PHYSICALLY maps ROMS at 0x40000000, (but degeneratly so
that 0x40800000 works too), RAM space is available from 0x00000000 to
0x40000000. The black fake mmu thingy in the PMMU's socket remaps this
so that the top 8 bits coming out of the CPU are ignored and ROM is remapped
down to 0xXX400000, slots to 0xXXS00000 etc It's pretty trivial to make
a PMMU do the same thing (that's how come I can boot my Mac II under the MacOS
with a PMMU in the socket). The A/UX kernel of course doesn't have to run in
24 bit compatability mode so all that RAM space is available .. plus
any that's on the NuBus (like the Nat Semi board). Processes are paged
so where they are physically doesn't really matter (they might be on disk).

	Paul

--

czychi@ethz.UUCP (Gary Czychi) (12/14/88)

In article <402a8cf0.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu> billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) writes:

>In article <19553@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>>In article <EXc49-y00UgXM0wn93@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:

>>>I recently saw an ad in MacWeek for 4 meg simms. That's right, 4 megs.  Does anyone know anything about these (price, performance, reliability)?

... stuff deleted
>It should work great, the Mac II supports 256K, 1 Meg, 4 Meg, and 16 Meg SIMMS,
>for a total of up to 128M on board RAM.

Hi all,

the Mac II does recognize the 4meg SIMMs, *BUT* (!) the current Mac OS
*won't* !!

The only possibility to take advantage of more than eight Megabyte RAM is
with *A/UX*!

I sincerely hope that Apple will fix this with system upgrade 7.*. What
about it, Apple?

Gary

        Gary T. Czychi             University of St.Gallen, Switzerland

                CZYCHI@CSGHSG52.BITNET   (also: CSGHSG53)
                CZYCHI@ETHZ.UUCP

			Tel.: --41 / 71 / 28 30 55

dgold@Apple.COM (David Goldsmith) (12/15/88)

In article <6051@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>A lot of people have mentioned that the Mac II OS can't cope with more
>than 8 megabytes of RAM -- here's why.  The ROM starts at the 8 meg
>mark.  I guess A/UX gets around this by using the PMMU to remap it.
>This implies that the Mac OS won't be able to cope until it has PMMU
>support (which will be a great day for us developers), and of course
>you'll need to buy a 68851 to have more than 8 megabytes.

Actually, the ROM is mapped at 8 MB only in 24 bit mode.  In 32 bit mode,
the ROM is mapped at $40800000.  When the Mac OS runs in 32 bit mode you'll
be able to have more than 8 MB of memory even if you don't have a PMMU
or 68030.
--
David Goldsmith                                           Apple Computer, Inc.
AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1    BIX: dgoldsmith         20525 Mariani Avenue, MS: 46B

lauac@tlingit.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (12/16/88)

Sorry, I missed the explanation: why can't MacSE's and Plusses
use 4 meg SIMMs?

--- Alex
{misc. backbones}!ucbvax!qal!lauac

Disclaimer: I never claimed I was a techie!
Alt. Disclaimer: Don't know much about 68000...