[comp.sys.mac] PS vs Quickdraw and Ovals...

ELLIOT@STAR3.STANFORD.EDU (Elliot Bennett) (12/16/88)

Sean writes:
> Please, no discussion about why Apple should adobt Display PostScript. DP
> S has pleanty of things that it can't do that QD does very nicely...

and he's right!  Maybe I'm the only one in the world who finds that wrapping
text around curved surfaces isn't something I seem to need everyday.  I mean,
how often do you _REALLY_ need that, anyway?

Whereas, (in Canvas 2.0) I can make filled, patterned shapes that are ORed,
XORed, or BICed to make them transparent (and other neat combinations).  Alas,
postscritp can't do this.  And not only that, but QD (and Canvas) can make
objects with a pen pattern that is (for example) 6 pixels wide and zero pixels
high (this looks particularly nice on ovals).  BUt with PS, an object must
have a height of at least 1 pixel or both height and width must be zero.  So
you see, in a more practicle sense, QD is quite superior.

One last example.  In Canvas, to make white text on a black background, all
you do is fill the text object with black and set the pen mode to BIC.  It
looks very nice...

As for ovals and quickdraw, I don't know how they do it, but in Canvas (who
claims to be using QD for their drawing), ovals have no gaps in them.  Funny,
huh?

Elliot Bennett
elliot@star.stanford.edu

P.S. - I will post a review of Canvas 2.0 shortly, for those who are interested.

Standard Disclaimer:

I'm not related to anyone (including Deneba Software, makers of Canvas) except
myself- and then only rarely.   So stand also my opinions...
-------