[comp.sys.mac] power variations

jm7l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph S. Mertz) (12/15/88)

The blower motor in my apartment furnace comes on regularly and causes
the lights to dim for about a second.  Does anyone have any idea hardened
my Mac SE is to these variations?  Anyone have any experience with
Mac's and trashy power?  I've got the Mac plugged into a cheap surge
protector and I would prefer avoiding an expensive line tamer unless
needed.

--Joe Mertz
  jm7l+@andrew.cmu.edu

stevens@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) (12/16/88)

In article <IXdjfvd58k-08=bEdy@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph S. Mertz) writes:
>The blower motor in my apartment furnace comes on regularly and causes
>the lights to dim for about a second.  Does anyone have any idea hardened
>my Mac SE is to these variations?  Anyone have any experience with
>Mac's and trashy power?  I've got the Mac plugged into a cheap surge
>protector and I would prefer avoiding an expensive line tamer unless
>needed.

I had the same problems in my apartment, but caused by the weird weather
instead of a blower moter. My MacII is plugged into a surge supressing
power strip which is plugged into a surge supressed wall socket (both of
these were pretty cheap items). The macII is the only thing in my house
that never reacts to power spikes. My TV and stereo are both plugged only
into a surge supressed wall socket and they both exhibit a little flicker
on power spikes. So I suggest you try using a second supressor before
spending a lot of money on a power conditioner.

|Curt Stevens        (303)492-1218 |   /   |              E-MAIL:             |
|University of Colorado at Boulder |  o o  |              -------             |
|Computer Science Department       |   |   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
|Campus Box 430                    |  \_/  |csnet:       stevens@boulder.csnet|
|Boulder, Colorado 80309           |       |uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|

========
| Curt |
========

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (12/16/88)

In article <IXdjfvd58k-08=bEdy@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph S. Mertz) writes:
|The blower motor in my apartment furnace comes on regularly and causes
|the lights to dim for about a second.  Does anyone have any idea hardened
|my Mac SE is to these variations? . . .

My SE is plugged into a cheap "suppressor" also.  We have had power glitches
and occasional lightning which has done nasty (but not permanent) things to
the cable TV converter (which is of course separate from the electric power
delivery system).  Anyway, when powered on, the SE has survived without
bombs or peculiarities or any visible effects glitches which have reset my
microwave oven (easy to do) and clock radio (a little harder).  I think it
is probably pretty insensitive to minor transients.

	/JBL
UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com