[comp.sys.mac] Mac memory upgrades

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/20/87)

It is becoming obvious that 512K is simply not enough for what I'm doing
anymore (sigh... I remember that 8K IMSAI....) and that I have to start
looking at upgrades.  My initial thought is to simply upgrade to a Mac+,
since that gives me a clear upgrade path into the beyond and whatever
comes next (assuming, of course, that there is an upgrade...).  I am still
interested in third party upgrades, though, if they meet the following
requirements:

    o The company needs to have a good track record -- garage shops
    need not apply.  Too many third party houses have disappeared for
    my tastes, I can't afford to be without my machine while people
    fingerpoint at a failed upgrade.

    o There has to be a SCSI port (or option to add SCSI) as part of the
    upgrade.  My paradise 10 is nice, but it isn't forever.

    o The cost of the upgrade (1M+SCSI+install) has to be cost effective
    compared to going to Apple and getting it done 'right.'

Now, this has been covered a few times before, but I don't have my notes on
it.  Besides, the third party market has changed markedly in the last six
months, thanks to the growing acceptance of the Mac+ (another reason to byte
the bullet, I guess).

So, if you can comment on the upgrade situation, please MAIL me your
comments.  Don't post to the net, I'll summarize anything I get after all is
said and done.

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM

It's only a model...

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence A. Dziegielewski) (05/20/87)

I tried to send email to clubmac,  but for some reason it was returned.
I'll post that message here instead.  The question was in regard to Mac
Memory RAM upgrades for the Mac + and SE.

The MacMemory upgrade consists of either 2 or 4 1 meg SIMM modules.  This
configuration gives you either 2 or 4 megs of memory.  Installation is
simple,  un-snap the 256K SIMM's from their sockets and snap in the new
1 meg modules.  You need to change one or two jumpers on the SE motherboard
depending on memory configuration.

The bad news is the cost:  2 megs ~ $700.  4 megs ~ 1400.  I'm using a
4 meg SE and LOVE it.

	Lawrence A. Dziegielwski                E.I. DuPont Co.
	UUCP: {dgis, psuvax1}!eplrx7!lad        Engineering Physics Lab
	GENIE:  LARRY.DSKI                      Wilm, DE
	Cash-We-Serve:  76127,104
	MCIMAIL: idt
	MABELL: (302) 695-7719

hal@aya.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) (12/15/88)

In article <369@lclark.UUCP> dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) writes:
>OK, we need to expand the memory on several of our Macintoshes.  Since
>we are still waiting for a memory upgrade ordered in June from Apple...

It seems that miracles can actually happen at Christmastime.  I was in
a local computer store yesterday (13 Dec.) and they had about 20 Apple
2MB memory upgrade kits, in both 120ns and 150ns flavors.  Could it be
that the RAM shortage is actually starting to ease up?

(Followups have been aimed at comp.sys.mac -- assuming I did it right --
since this doesn't just affect programmers.)

Hal Perkins                        hal@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (12/15/88)

In article <23495@cornell.UUCP> hal@cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) writes:
>It seems that miracles can actually happen at Christmastime.  I was in
>a local computer store yesterday (13 Dec.) and they had about 20 Apple
>2MB memory upgrade kits, in both 120ns and 150ns flavors.  Could it be
>that the RAM shortage is actually starting to ease up?

I don't know what is going on with apple and the RAM shortage *BUT*,
I just recieved the 4MB that we ordered with a macII.  The order was
placed on 1/13/88.  THe sales price was something like $800.  Somethings up...

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"X is just raster-op on wheels" - Bill Joy, January 1987

ags@s.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (12/16/88)

Something seems to be happening, all right.  The 4 Meg upgrade that I
ordered from Apple for my Mac II in May showed up yesterday, Dec. 14.

--
Dave Seaman
ags@j.cc.purdue.edu

twm@genrad.UUCP (Tim W. Mattox) (12/16/88)

In article <23495@cornell.UUCP> hal@cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) writes:
>In article <369@lclark.UUCP> dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) writes:
>>OK, we need to expand the memory on several of our Macintoshes.  Since
>>we are still waiting for a memory upgrade ordered in June from Apple...

If you are looking for SIMMs, I found a source for them.

1 meg 120ns SIMMs for $299.00 each, shipping is free.  They are
shipped UPS ground from Columbus, Ohio.  They have these babies in
stock now!  The company is called Direct Micro (1-800-288-2887).  This
is the same company where I buy my 3.5" diskettes.

Happy Holidays!!!!

					-Tim

fortuna@Alliant.COM (Mike Fortuna) (12/16/88)

>It seems that miracles can actually happen at Christmastime.  I was in
>a local computer store yesterday (13 Dec.) and they had about 20 Apple
>2MB memory upgrade kits, in both 120ns and 150ns flavors.
Did you get the prices?

Speaking of prices, has anyone else noticed how the price for 256K RAM
based upgrades has gone up? A Dove Macsnap2SE kit has gone up from $299
to $439 at MacConnection.

--
	- Mike Fortuna			VOICE: (508) 486-1243
Internet: fortuna@alliant.alliant.com	SMAIL: 1 Monarch Drive

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (12/17/88)

A number of things have happened recently:

1) IBM decided to make more of its own RAM and canceled orders
2) increased production
3) decreased demand?

This is what I read in one of the trade rags, although I have to wonder about
the last one.