[comp.sys.mac] Sad Mac 00..04 00..00?

goran@erix.ericsson.se (Goeran Baage) (12/13/88)

My MacSE gives me a sad mac with the code 00..04 00..00 at startup and some
funny patterns before showing the sad mac. Any of you mac wizards out
there know whats wrong? The strange thing is that I can sometimes get
the mac to start ok by holding down option or clover when starting, and
once it starts it seems to work ok.

The Mac is about half a year old and bought in the US but used in Sweden.

Thank's for your help.

   Goran Bage
   goran@erix.ericsson.se

gtww2z9z%gables.span@umigw.miami.edu (Jason Gross) (12/15/88)

In article <1902@erix.ericsson.se>, Goeran Baage writes:
> My MacSE gives me a sad mac with the code 00..04 00..00 at startup and some
> funny patterns before showing the sad mac. Any of you mac wizards out
> there know whats wrong? The strange thing is that I can sometimes get
> the mac to start ok by holding down option or clover when starting, and
> once it starts it seems to work ok.
>
> The Mac is about half a year old and bought in the US but used in Sweden.

The Sad Mac is an indication of something very wrong with the workings of your
Mac.  The fact that it works when you hold down the option or command (the
clover) keys leads me to believe that it could be some INIT or Cdev causing
the problem, though I've never heard of a Sad Mac coming from one of those.

Best bet would be to take it to a dealer and show it to him.  The funny codes
are something that someone somewhere must know (but not I)

> Thank's for your help.

Sure. Anytime

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
  He's tan, rested, | At the tone, leave your name, number, and message at:

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (12/17/88)

In article <gables.388@umigw.miami.edu> gtww2z9z%gables.span@umigw.miami.edu (Jason Gross) writes:
>In article <1902@erix.ericsson.se>, Goeran Baage writes:
>> The Mac is about half a year old and bought in the US but used in Sweden.
>
>The Sad Mac is an indication of something very wrong with the workings of your
>Mac.  The fact that it works when you hold down the option or command (the
>clover) keys leads me to believe that it could be some INIT or Cdev causing
>the problem, though I've never heard of a Sad Mac coming from one of those.

  The sad Mac indicates something very wrong with your Macintosh and it
should be taken to a dealer for service right away.  But I do remember reading
somewhere a long time ago that the option-command key will bypass most/all of
the system checkout at startup.  I don't believe that an INIT can cause the
system to do a sad mac, but it could cause a system error.

David M. O'Rourke                                  dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

"If it doesn't do Windows, then it's not a computer!!!"
Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (12/17/88)

The 4 means that it is a RAM failure on SIMM 3 or SIMM 4.  The other number
is supposed to indicate which bits are bad.  For example, if the whole SIMM
fails, the second number would be 0000FFFF.  If the last bit were bad, it
would be 0000FFFE, and so on.

I have no idea what a zero means.

( I know this stuff because I had a similar problem, and asked MACDTS
about the error codes )

						Tim Smith