[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter Screen NFNTs

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (12/16/88)

Well folks, just as I predicted, I would screw this up due to my lack of net
experience. I announced (to much popular acclaim) that the Adobe screen fonts
for the LW+, II NT, and II NTX were available to ftp from my site.

I was wrong.

They are there, all right. BUT, our system admin people here at Tektronix are
paranoid that anyone outside the company might actually get logged onto one
of our systems. In order to ftp, you need to log onto a guest account, often
'anonymous.' Or so I am given to understand. However, my system people say
emphatically NO NO NO NO NO, OHMIGAWD SOMEBODY MIGHT GET ONTO OUR SYSTEM AND
READ A BIT OR SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, here's what's going to be done, and how you all can get them. The person
who initially requested the LW+ screen fonts (Willard Korfhage from UCLA,
korfhage@ucla-cs) has offered to make them available for anonymous ftp from
his machine, if I mail them to him. A similar offer has been made by David
Zuhn from the U. of Minnesota (zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu).

I will email copies of the files to these two gentlemen, and will let them
announce to the world when they have them and they are ready. PLEASE DO THEM
THE COURTESY OF WAITING FOR THEIR ANNOUNCEMENT, they are generously helping
us all.

Therefore, there are three ways you can get these fonts:

1) Wait for Willard and David to make them available via anonymous ftp,

2) Wait for them to be posted to comp.binaries.mac (this is iffy)

3) Give up and mail (U.Snail) me three blank disks, with a stamped self-return
   envelope. I promise have them back in the return mail within 48 hours. My
   real mail address is:

     Brian Diehm
     14611 SW Uplands Drive
     Lake Oswego, OR   97034

   (I will make only reasonable attempts to return things that have improper
   postage, insufficient return envelopes, etc.)

4) (You knew there was another way, right?) I can play like Adobe, and you send
   me $50 and no disks, and ... ;-) No, not really, I don't want to get in
   trouble with Adobe, even by that sincerest form of flattery!
--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

riddle@emory.uucp (Larry Riddle) (12/17/88)

In article <3545@tekig4.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) writes:
>Therefore, there are three ways you can get these fonts:
(Adobe lw screen fonts)
>1) Wait for Willard and David to make them available via anonymous ftp,
>2) Wait for them to be posted to comp.binaries.mac (this is iffy)
>4) (You knew there was another way, right?) I can play like Adobe, and you send
>   me $50 and no disks, and ... ;-) No, not really, I don't want to get in
>   trouble with Adobe, even by that sincerest form of flattery!

I contacted Adobe a while ago about whether one could post
their laserwriter screen fonts on a bulletin board for downloading.
Their answer was a very emphatic NO. They have put the fonts on
Compuserve but they definitely do not want them made available on any
other bulletin board. Now I'm not sure if they would consider anonymous
ftp to be the same as a bulletin board, but I suspect that they might
treat both similarly. I think someone should contact Adobe to get their
permission for what is being done here, but I doubt they will give
it. The legality of posting these fonts should be a serious concern.

--
Larry Riddle        | riddle@mathcs.emory.edu         PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!riddle    UUCP

korfhage@chiron.cs.ucla.edu (Willard Korfhage) (12/17/88)

Well, given the latest information, the safe thing for me to do is to
make the fonts unavailable until I find out just what I can and cannot do.
I will let you know what I find out.

   Willard Korfhage

   ARPA : korfhage@cs.ucla.edu
   UUCP : {ucbvax,randvax,trwrb!trwspp,ism780}!ucla-cs!korfhage

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (12/18/88)

>I contacted Adobe a while ago about whether one could post
>their laserwriter screen fonts on a bulletin board for downloading.
>Their answer was a very emphatic NO. They have put the fonts on
>Compuserve but they definitely do not want them made available on any
>other bulletin board. Now I'm not sure if they would consider anonymous
>ftp to be the same as a bulletin board, but I suspect that they might
>treat both similarly. I think someone should contact Adobe to get their
>permission for what is being done here, but I doubt they will give
>it. The legality of posting these fonts should be a serious concern.

That's it, I'm out of this. I don't want to hear about it again, I will not
honor requests for these, and I'm pretty pissed off about the whole thing.
I'm probably already up to lose my house and all my personal possessions, for
trying to help folks out. I no longer even care if "proof" comes that it's
just OK; the lawyers have been let loose and nobody is safe.

They have already been mailed to Willard Korfhage and David Zuhn. If these
people wish to assume the risk and responsibility for distributing them, THAT
IS THEIR BUSINESS. I personally wish I could recall them right now.

Maybe the paranoia of my system admin folks is justified, if for other reasons
than they state. Good bye. I wish I could say it's been fun. . .