[comp.sys.mac] cats and monitors

robin@ccb.ucsf.edu (Robin Colgrove) (11/29/88)

ok here's a question a bit off the beaten track
we just got a mac II 4/40 w/ apple color monitor
for home and the cat immediately adopted the top
of the monitor as a perch cuz:
it's warm
it's the highest thing in the room and
her "mother" (my wife) spends a lot of  time
staring in that direction.
question,  hardware  buffs , is
how bad is this for the monitor?
are cat hairs likely to work their way through
the baffles and screw up the circuitry inside?
is there an easy way to accommadate the cat and protect
the monitor with something over the top porous enuf
to allow adequate venitlation for cooling?
thanx for your help
robin

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/29/88)

In article <1496@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> robin@ccb.ucsf.edu (Robin Colgrove) writes:

>we just got a mac II 4/40 w/ apple color monitor
>for home and the cat immediately adopted the top
>of the monitor as a perch cuz:
>it's warm

Even as we speak, I have TWO cats on top of my monitor (I'll admit that it's
a 19" monitor).  Each has its own shoebox (and each wants the other's shoebox).
The only problem I have is when the smaller one leans over and tries to
catch the cursor.   You should see them when 'fish' is running the background.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (11/29/88)

In article <1496@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> robin@ccb.ucsf.edu (Robin Colgrove) writes:
<ok here's a question a bit off the beaten track
<we just got a mac II 4/40 w/ apple color monitor
<for home and the cat immediately adopted the top
<of the monitor as a perch cuz:
<it's warm
<it's the highest thing in the room and
<her "mother" (my wife) spends a lot of  time
<staring in that direction.
<question,  hardware  buffs , is
<how bad is this for the monitor?
<are cat hairs likely to work their way through
<the baffles and screw up the circuitry inside?
<is there an easy way to accommadate the cat and protect
<the monitor with something over the top porous enuf
<to allow adequate venitlation for cooling?
<thanx for your help
<robin

I'd worry less about the monitor than the rest of the machine.  I'd also
set the whole contraption in a box that is roomy enough for air flow but
not enough for the cat to get in.

Personally, I don't let mine in the same room with my computers, but then
I have a few more than a normal person.  So I play this guilt trip - go in
the office and feel guilty about not spending time with the "kids" - or go
in the living room and feel guilty about not using the machine I want to
learn more about and spent so much money on.

Isn't life wonderful?

Shirley (Silverado Momcat) Kehr

cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) (11/29/88)

Cats are OK, but beware of iguanas.  I understand that one kept as a mascot
at a company I used to work at enjoyed perching on the top of a MicroVAX
monitor.  Said monitor died an unpleasant death due to the poor toilet
training of the iguana.  Frankly, I think this has the makings of a great
lawsuit, as there was no sticker on the monitor warning the customer not to
allow reptiles to urinate into the monitor housing.

Sam Cramer	sun!cramer  cramer@sun.com

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (11/30/88)

> Even as we speak, I have TWO cats on top of my monitor (I'll admit that it's
> a 19" monitor).  Each has its own shoebox (and each wants the other's shoebox).

My cat has always liked the top of the TV...

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

gtww2z9z%gables.span@umigw.miami.edu (Jason Gross) (11/30/88)

In article <79204@sun.uucp>, cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) writes:
> Cats are OK, [other stuff deleted]

Cats, in general and in particular, are stupid and should be shot on sight!

My list of pets in order of preferecne:

1) A nice dog
2) A hamster
3) A cockroach
4) A rock
5) A blade of grass
6) Dirt
7) A cat

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
"Women.  You can't live   | Mail your invigorating replies to:      | For

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (12/01/88)

Find the cat another place to sleep/rest purch!!!!! Cats do shed hair. They
also shed dirt that is in their coats. these items can quickly plie up
into a thermal insulating barrier. This insulating barrier can cause your
computer to over heat and components to fail.

 I live in a houes whith 7 cats. My
computers, keyboards, and peripherials are covered when not in use and
cats are strongly encuraged to stay away from my computers. Several years
ago, I had a cat that was quite ill and had little bladder control. I
discovered that tom cat pee is not only conductive but is capable of
etching uncoated printed wiring boards.

TeriAnn

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (12/01/88)

I'd be a little bit worried if my cat wanted to live atop my monitor ---

1.  What if the cat ever urinated?  Cooked kitty!

2.  The high voltages (1500v for display tube) might be dangerous to a
cat over long periods.  There is evidence that low-frequency
electromagnetic radiation may be harmful to humans (can't remember if
it increases birth defects, cancer, or what).  The high voltages may
not be good for kitty.

3.  The cat may cause your monitor to overheat & burn out.  Or cat
hair may fall inside the monitor and do nasty things.

davew@hpdsla.HP.COM (Dave Waller) (12/01/88)

Cat hairs probably aren't a probelm as long as they dont clog up the cooling
slats on top pf the monitor (are there any). As there are no movin parts and
hairs tend to be pretty good insulators (witness the reaction of hair to
static electricity -- all the electrons reside on the surface of the hair
because it is not a conductor), cat hair probably isn't the problem.

I would worry the most if your CAT is blocking the slats prventing airflow,
don't worry about it. In fact, the cat is probably conducting away some of
the heat (that's why he/she likes it there!).

Dave Waller
Technical Computer Group
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Pacific Technology Park
Sunnyvale, CA
(408) 746-5324
[ucbvax!]hplabs!hpdstma!dave

jrk@s1.sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) (12/02/88)

In article <gables.274@umigw.miami.edu>, gtww2z9z%gables.span@umigw.miami.edu (Jason Gross) writes:
> In article <79204@sun.uucp>, cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) writes:
> > Cats are OK, [other stuff deleted]
>
> My list of pets in order of preferecne:
[deleted]

My favorite pet is a Mac.  It's quiet and it doesnt make messes on the floor.
(Just trying to divert this thread back to the newsgroup subject :-)
--
Richard Kennaway                SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
uucp:	...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk	Janet:	kennaway@uk.ac.uea.sys

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (12/02/88)

...unfortunately, my cats have always enjoyed sitting on my keyboard,
both when I am using my machine and while I am not.  Before anyone asks,
I have a keyboard cover, but the little buggers learned how to grip it
with claws and pull the sucker off.  Anyway, when I finally opened up my
Apple ][ keyboard, it looked like a rug in there (ouch).  Thank god my
mac is safe with me at school!
					-JBZimmerman!
--
___________           |  "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (12/02/88)

In article <4664@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
>...unfortunately, my cats have always enjoyed sitting on my keyboard,

	A cat belonging to my previous roommate used to LOVE to wind himself
around the base of my Mac SE, chase my mouse cursor, attack my fingers as
I typed, and so forth....

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (12/03/88)

In article <5319@polya.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
" Even as we speak, I have TWO cats on top of my monitor (I'll admit that it's
" a 19" monitor).  Each has its own shoebox (and each wants the other's shoebox).
" The only problem I have is when the smaller one leans over and tries to
" catch the cursor.   You should see them when 'fish' is running the background.

Have you tried changing the fish to dogs?

--
"Be alert ... the world needs more lerts!"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu || {...decvax!}ames!riacs!julian

pickle@ozdaltx.UUCP (pickle) (12/06/88)

HI Shirley,
Say your reply to "Cats and Monitors."  I have two of the little darlings,
but can't keep them out of the same room with my MAC.  While I keep
a cover on all of my equipment, I just know some of their fur gets
in.... it's seems to be everywhere else.  Have you had (or heard)
about this?  What do I do?  Just making my be each morning (the Macis
in my bedroom) causes cat hair to fly about.
Any comments would be appreciated.
.... Costa Mesa, huh?  I used to live Insane Diego!
Ta Ta for now,
Michael in Dallas, Texas

--
Michael "OThe Pickle" in Dallas

wilson@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Nathan Wilson) (12/08/88)

>My cat has always liked the top of the TV...

My SO briefly borrowed an IBM to write some documentation for a friend
and we discovered that the cat was the only one in the household who
prefered IBMs to Macs (presumably because it has more sprawl area).  I
knew big blues had to have a use for something! :*)
	Nathan Wilson

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (12/19/88)

in article <5286@ozdaltx.UUCP>, pickle@ozdaltx.UUCP (pickle) says:

> HI Shirley,
> Say your reply to "Cats and Monitors."  I have two of the little darlings,
> but can't keep them out of the same room with my MAC.  While I keep
> a cover on all of my equipment, I just know some of their fur gets
> in.... it's seems to be everywhere else.  Have you had (or heard)
> about this?  What do I do?  Just making my be each morning (the Macis
> in my bedroom) causes cat hair to fly about.
> Any comments would be appreciated.
> .... Costa Mesa, huh?  I used to live Insane Diego!
> Ta Ta for now,
> Michael in Dallas, Texas

I have three cats, two of which shed like crazy. They spend a lot of time in
my computer room, along with my two Macs. (One is draped over my shoulder as
I type this). My major concern is cat hair in the disk drives, so I keep a
floppy hanging out of the drives at all times (not seated, but half way
out). This blocks the drive slots.

As for the rest, I just blow hair away with some canned air every so often.

I remember when my older Mac was upgraded to 2 meg; the dealer doing the
upgrade was flabbergasted by all the cat hair inside the case. However, it
has never seemed to hurt the Mac at all...

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai