[comp.sys.mac] System 8.0 -- Virtual Memory

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (12/20/88)

In article <1988Dec14.223739.16280@cs.rochester.edu> @DOUGHNUT.CS.ROCHESTER.EDU:miller@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU writes:
>You can multitask without virtual memory. The problem with the 68000 is that
>it doesn't save enough internal state to be able to handle page faults, thus
>you can't do virtual memory.

I have assumed that virtual memory on the Macintosh is one of the reasons
that a 68020/030 Mac SE is on the horizon.  Whether 8.0 will have VM or not,
however, is a question for astrologers, or Apple higher-ups.

                           "Anyone with an active mind lives on tentatives
                            rather than tenets."
                                           -- Robert Frost

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...