[comp.sys.mac] How do you send a message to AppleLink?

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (12/16/88)

I remember hearing that they were going to try an AppleLink bridge at the
'dasnet' machine.  Does anyone know if this was successful?  If so, how do
you adress this?  Any help would be appreciated.

Michael Niehaus
Ball State University

lipa@POLYA.STANFORD.EDU (William Lipa) (12/17/88)

I got this information from Info-Mac a while ago. It works quite well, but
watch out for large files -- they get cut off at 32K.

To: XB.DAS@STANFORD.BITNET
Subject: USER1@APPLELINK!Optional Actual Subject

>From Applelink to Bitnet:
To: DASNET
Subject: USER1.ADDRESS@STANFORD.BITNET!Optional Actual Subject

Bill Lipa
Bitnet: lipa%polya@stanford

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (12/18/88)

In article <CMM.0.87.598306317.lipa@polya.stanford.edu> lipa@POLYA.STANFORD.EDU (William Lipa) writes:
     | I got this information from Info-Mac a while ago. It works
     | quite well, but watch out for large files -- they get cut
     | off at 32K.

     | From Bitnet to Applelink:
     | To: XB.DAS@STANFORD.BITNET
     | Subject: USER1@APPLELINK!Optional Actual Subject

     | From Applelink to Bitnet:
     | To: DASNET Subject:
     | USER1.ADDRESS@STANFORD.BITNET!Optional Actual Subject

One of the simpler ways to get from "outside" Applelink to the link world
is:

linkaddr@applelink.apple.com

(where "linkaddr", is a known Applelink address like D2012 which is mine)

I've found that an additional hop or two is involved cos it zips over to
sun then to stanford, however the advantage is that you don't have to
munge with putting an address in the Subject line at all.

     | Bill Lipa Bitnet: lipa%polya@stanford

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012         {AppleLink - shared account}  -        caffeine haze :-)

carl@Apple.COM (Carl C. Hewitt) (12/20/88)

In article <5191@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>I remember hearing that they were going to try an AppleLink bridge at the
>'dasnet' machine.  Does anyone know if this was successful?  If so, how do
>you adress this?  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Michael Niehaus
>Ball State University

You can currently mail to "user@applelink.apple.com" to get mail from
Arpa to AppleLink, and then there is a funky way of getting mail back
to Arpa from AppleLink, but I think each message to AppleLink gives
you the return address back to Arpa.

						-- Carl

|   internet:	carl@apple.com       |  Apple Computer, Mac CPU ROM group     |
|   applelink:	hewitt2	             |  uucp:   {sun,decwrl}!apple!carl       |