[comp.sys.mac] Mac II video problem

pa1505@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) (12/20/88)

In article <1359@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu> hsing@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Hsing-Chung Lee) writes:
>I just got my Mac II with APPLE vedio card and color monitor and I noticed
>there is a thin black line on the button half of the screen.
>I went to local dealer and they said it is normal and sure enough, I saw
>the same line on their Mac II.
>Should APPLE let this happen, or is there other reason for this?

That faint black line is present in all Sony Trinitron monitors
(from which your Apple monitor is made).  It is a wire that helps
support the mesh behind the phosphor screen.  The mesh is a grid of
VERY fine wires which ensure that the electron beam hits only one
phosphor dot at a time.  In order to produce images as sharp as
those made with Trinitrons, the wires must be as thin as possible.
Without the wire you see as a black line, the mesh might collapse
under its own weight.  Consequently, there is nothing you can do
about it.

Barry Brown
pa1505@sdcc15.ucsd.edu