[comp.sys.mac] Sounds into Hypercard...

rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) (12/20/88)

	I have several sounds files (of type FSSD, I believe) that I would like
to incorporate into a program, specifically a Hypercard stack.  These sounds
can be played on my Mac using SoundPlay, or even the demo version of MacCD.  I
tryed moving them into the stack with ResEdit, but most of them don't have a
resource fork and thus can't be moved (at least I haven't been able to do it).

	Can anyone offer any assistance in this?  Thanks in advance.

--
Don Rainwater, University of Cincinnati Computer Center
rainwater@ucbeh.san.uc.edu

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (12/20/88)

In article <1560@ucqais.uc.edu> rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) writes:
     | I have several sounds files (of type FSSD, I
     | believe) that I would like to incorporate into a program,
     | specifically a Hypercard stack.  These sounds can be
     | played on my Mac using SoundPlay, or even the demo version
     | of MacCD.  I tryed moving them into the stack with
     | ResEdit, but most of them don't have a resource fork and
     | thus can't be moved (at least I haven't been able to do
     | it).

The sound types are different, as you have noted.  The registered user
version of MacCD, allows you to convert sound formats (Save as.. Sound
Edit, HyperCard, System etc etc).  Making your FSSD sounds into HyperCard
SND resources is really as simple as a Save As.., and it will save the
sounds right into the stack for you.

MacCD, I've found to be the most flexible way to punt sound files of
varying types around my system.

     | -- Don Rainwater, University of Cincinnati Computer Center

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012         {AppleLink - shared account}  -        caffeine haze :-)

davew@hpdsla.HP.COM (Dave Waller) (12/21/88)

 rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) writes:

>	I have several sounds files (of type FSSD, I believe) that I would like
>to incorporate into a program, specifically a Hypercard stack.  These sounds
>can be played on my Mac using SoundPlay, or even the demo version of MacCD.  I
>tryed moving them into the stack with ResEdit, but most of them don't have a
>resource fork and thus can't be moved (at least I haven't been able to do it).
>
>	Can anyone offer any assistance in this?  Thanks in advance.

Well Donald, I would strongly suggest that you purchase MacRecorder from
Farallon Computing. It retails for about $150, and is worth at least 3 times
that much!!! Unfortunately, since the digitized data for the sounds that you
want to use in Hypercard are contained in the Data fork rather than in a
SND resource in the resource fork, moving them to hypercad is nearly
impossible without writing a conversion utility. However, I believe
MacRecorder will read those sound files, and then will save them in just
about any form you want (including placing them in a Hypercard stack as a
SND resource). Well worth the investment.

P.S.: I have no affiliation with Farallon. I am simply an immensely satisfied
customer with their product.

Dave Waller
Technical Computer Group
Hewlett-Packard Co.