[comp.sys.mac] Tech Support Database

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North, Tech Support) (12/20/88)

I am interested in finding some sort of information system for a Tech Support
Department.  Anyone know of anything available?
Also, has anyone used Foxbase?  I am interested in its speed, use in multi-
user enviroments.  Thanks!

--
Chris North                                chris@cayman.COM
Cayman Systems

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (12/21/88)

>I am interested in finding some sort of information system for a Tech Support
>Department.  Anyone know of anything available?

Acius has a sample database called MiniFans that is the prototype for their
own customer support database. For some strange reason, it's written in
4th Dimension. I have a reasonably early copy of it, and it works pretty
well. You might talk to them about whether it's still available.

Chuq Von Rospach	Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms		chuq@sun.COM

When you're up to your *ss in alligators, it's hard to remember your initial
objective was to drain the swamp.

liemandt@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Joe Liemandt) (12/21/88)

In article <82543@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>I am interested in finding some sort of information system for a Tech Support
>>Department.  Anyone know of anything available?
>
>Acius has a sample database called MiniFans that is the prototype for their
>own customer support database. For some strange reason, it's written in
>4th Dimension. I have a reasonably early copy of it, and it works pretty
>well. You might talk to them about whether it's still available.
>

>Chuq Von Rospach	Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms		chuq@sun.COM

Actually, MiniFans is more of a contact manager than a Tech Support Database.
In-house they use Fans II.  I am not sure if they are releasing it, although
they used to give away Fans I.

There is also a commercial package available(sorry forgot the name),
but it is pretty lame.

I am probably :) going to be writing one for Stanford in the next month
or so.  I can get you a copy if you are interested.

Joe Liemandt
Stanford University