[comp.sys.mac] [Robert J.Brenstein 453-5721 x 227 GA0095@siucvmb

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (12/22/88)

Date: 21 December 88, 22:58:31 CST
From: Robert J.Brenstein 453-5721 x 227 GA0095@siucvmb         (618)
To: INFO-MAC%SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU@Argus.Stanford.EDU
Subject:  Absoft's MacFortran 2.4 (long)

I have been using version 2.4 of Absoft's MacFortran for several weeks
now working on a large project (implementing true Macintosh interface).
I haven't used version 2.3 of Absoft's compiler, hence I don't know the
difference between that one and 2.4, but 2.4 has definitely better
interface than version 2.2 (better known as Microsoft Fortran 2.2).
The new version of the compiler has actually some feeling of a Macintosh
program to it.  Some of the nice things:  options can be saved into
individual files; the transfer menu is somewhat customizable and
supports sublaunching; the compiler automatically reopens files which
were open at the time of quiting; the list file is automatically
displayed in case of compilation errors (but not warnings); most common
functions (those from the former MS Fortran's Compiler menu) are
available as buttons in each file window; the default (terminal-like)
window can be supressed during compilation.  The list is not complete
but should give you an idea of changes.

The linker is still very unfriendly.  You select commands from menus;
however, their implementation is very poor: there are no keyboard-equivs;
there is no apple menu; I can't even invoke or use 101-Keys (QuicKeys-
like utility).  Otherwise, the linker operates pretty much the same way
as before except that it now reads script files only (former batch
linking), which I don't object to.  The real difference is that it
does not have the limits on the number of external references, commons,
etc., which was the reason I dumped version 2.2.

The new ScriptBuilder application allows for fairly simple creation
and management of scripts controlling batch compilation and linking.
This is the most Macintosh-like program in the set.  The builder uses
standard file dialog to select files or groups of files to be included
in the script.

The text editor included in the package is still Edit.  I believe that
for the money we pay for this compiler we could get a more decent
editor.  Absoft apparently decided that we just have to get whatever
editor we want on our own.  Besides QUED there is also a new Freditor
program (available from TechAlliance) which advertises as an editor
specially designed for editing Fortran programs.  I haven't had a
chance to actually use it, hence can't provide any evaluation.  I wish
Absoft would bundle it with MacFortran, though.

The selection of examples included in the package is still poor -- only
a couple new ones are added. None shows creation of a real Macintosh
application.  A few more examples are available on Absoft's BBS, but
still not enough.  The documentations hasn't changed much in contents,
although it comes now in a 3-ring binder and uses different color paper
for the toolbox reference.  Unfortunately, the reference hasn't changed
much from the 2.2 version except for the addition of some color-related
stuff.  There is still no complete list of calls to toolbox routines.

Besides the 24-hour BBS, Absoft has also instituted a formal support
person who can be contacted over the phone or BBS.  Admittedly, the
person I interacted with was quite helpful and responsive.

Albeit this version of the compiler fixed many (if not all) of previously
known problems/bugs, it is not free from them now.  I have run into
some problems related to the fact that many of toolbx parameters which
should be integer*2 (Pascal integer) must be declared as integer*4
(Pascal longint) or the values passed are wrong.  Several of parameter
values of toolbx routines have also changed -- this affects only people
who don't use provided include files (like myself).

I also got the impression that Absoft is going to push its MPW compiler.
I hope this does not mean they abandon further development of MacFortran
since their MPW compiler will work on the Macintosh II only.  Would I be
mean claiming that in that new version they at least don't have to worry
about the Macintosh interface? Or, they don't worry anyway?

Robert (GA0095@SIUCVMB.Bitnet)

P.S. If somebody cares to post this to comp.sys.mac as well, users of usenet
     could appreciate (or not) the above note.