[net.wanted] basic

bis (07/08/82)

Does anyone have a good version of basic which will work with
USG 4.0.  Preferably one with the "cursor" command.
Replies to mhexa!bis or hlexa!bis.
Ivan Strom
HL2E208
Bell Labs

kevenb (02/02/83)

Does anyone have a copy of unix bas, the BASIC which runs on
unix.  We have 4.1bsd and would like to find a copy of the
source code for our system.  Any help would be great, and even
an early version would be O.K.  Thanks.

Keven  Boyett

tektronix!tekid!kevenb

bob (02/03/83)

UNIX's bas (at least the only one I've seen) was written in assembler and
we couldn't get it to run under the compat package.

We have a basic system that was modeled after IBM's VS basic (which is
a fairly nice system).  The system currently lacks formated I/O
(print using stmts) and a couple other odds and ends.  In any case, it is
much more complete than the bas system.  If you send me a tape I will
send the system to you.
		Bob Tomlinson
		ucbvax!lbl-csam!lanl-a!unm-ivax!bob
		University of New Mexico
		Computing Center
		2701 Campus Blvd.
		Albuquerque, NM	87106

P.S.  It will probably be put on a near future Usenix tape.

psv@houti.UUCP (11/08/83)

can anyone out there provide me with a copy of BASIC or BYTE basic?
I would really appreciate if you could mail or UUCP it to me.
I am on houti!psv or houti!am.  Help please! I'm desperate.

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (11/09/84)

> Newsgroups: net.sources
> Just an opinion...
> anyone who ports BASIC to a UNIX system should be deleted from the
> net.  For those who have programs in BASIC which they need, there
> SHOULD be (but isn't as far as I know) a BASIC-TO-X translator (where
> X is C or Modula-2 or ...) and the BASIC source should then be
> trashed.

Similarly, those who use "dc", "bc", "awk", or shell scripts should be
deleted from the net; a C program should be written for every
calculation.  Does someone have a dc-to-C translator?  How about a
shell script-to-C translator?  It would save a hell of a lot of time
to do the conversion of my handy-dandy shell scripts.   )-:  :-)
--
Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Palo Alto, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,flairvax,nsc}!turtlevax!ken