[comp.sys.mac] MS Word died in strange disease!

d83_sven_a@tekn01.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) (12/14/88)

Help!!!

My MS Word 3.02 has suddenly died for me! It all started last week when it
started to beep just after displaying its startup alert. After that it worked
normally. Since an nVIR infected application usually does something like this,
I checked it out with various anti-virus programs, but nothing abnormal was
found. Well, I thought I could live with this but when I tried it today
it bombed (ID 02) at the same point in its startup. What has happened??

All this weirdness started just after I'd installed Suitcase II with some
NFNT resources, but surely this can't be the reason, can it? Actually the
same thing happens when I start Word without the suitcases containing
such resources.

Has anyone but me been struck by this strange behaviour? If so, please
let me know of a cure...

Sven Axelsson			d83_sven_a@tekn01.chalmers.se
dep:t of Linguistics
univ. of Gothenburg
Sweden

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (12/19/88)

In article <425@tekn01.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekn01.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) writes:

<My MS Word 3.02 has suddenly died for me! It all started last week when it
<started to beep just after displaying its startup alert. After that it worked
<normally.
<Well, I thought I could live with this but when I tried it today
<it bombed (ID 02) at the same point in its startup. What has happened??

<Has anyone but me been struck by this strange behaviour? If so, please
<let me know of a cure...

<Sven Axelsson			d83_sven_a@tekn01.chalmers.se

I'm running MS Word 3.02 with Suitcase II at work with no problems, but I
got this same ID=2 last night. It wasn't a bomb, just the Microsoft Word
has unexpectedly quit message. I do run in multifinder on System 6.0.2, so
maybe that's the difference.

I don't know if this ID is the same as the bomb ID, which is an out of
range memory request, but just for a test I gave Word more memory (425
instead of 384). After that I had no problems, but I didn't run Word
all that long.

Another disclaimer: My Mac was just back from the repair shop where they've
been trying to track down the excessive bombs in the Levco Monster Mac
logic board. I was just trying to see how long it would run before bombing
again.

When running MS Word, make sure that it is the first application you start
so it gets all of its memory from the first megabyte. This is one of Word's
most serious problems for me.

Shirley Kehr]

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (12/20/88)

In article <75410@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
     | When running MS Word, make sure that it is the first
     | application you start so it gets all of its memory from
     | the first megabyte. This is one of Word's most serious
     | problems for me.

I have never struck this as a problem.  With two 256 colour backdrop pics
and more INIT's than most people have nightmares about.. there is no way I
can run Word in the 1st meg of memory!  (The System chomps about 1.3 megs
before I run anything.. I regularly run Word as the 3rd of 4th app
launched under MultiFinder).

If your having memory problems Shirley, send me some e-mail detailing
what's happening.

     | Shirley Kehr]

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012         {AppleLink - shared account}  -        caffeine haze :-)

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (12/22/88)

In article <112@microsoft.UUCP> stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) writes:
|In article <75410@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
|     | When running MS Word, make sure that it is the first
|     | application you start so it gets all of its memory from
|     | the first megabyte. This is one of Word's most serious
|     | problems for me.
|
|I have never struck this as a problem.  With two 256 colour backdrop pics
|and more INIT's than most people have nightmares about.. there is no way I
|can run Word in the 1st meg of memory! . . . .

Actually, the 'first megabyte' restriction was, I thought, only a
problem for another Microsoft product, Excel, and it might have been
fixed in version 1.5.  I don't think Word ever suffered from this. I
believe there is even some sort of special kludge (I don't know how it
works) in Finder/Multifinder to load Excel at the bottom of free
memory; most applications are loaded close to the top (high addresses).

UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

d83_sven_a@tekn01.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) (12/22/88)

I finally got MS Word to work on my machine again, but it wasn't easy
(not for me anyway) to figure out how to do it. Actually I'm not sure
why this works either, but the important thing is that it does, isn't it ?
:-)

I simply increased the default size for the system heap stored in the
boot-blocks from 128K to 196K, and voila! all went back to normal.
If someone (at Microsoft perhaps) has a clue to why this works, please
post a message about it.

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (12/23/88)

In article <33770@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
     ||  I write:
     ||  I have never struck this as a problem.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     ||  With two 256 colour backdrop pics and more
     ||  INIT's than most people have nightmares about.. there is
     ||  no way I can run Word in the 1st meg of memory! . . . .

Ouch!, I've been truncated!! :-) :-)

     | Actually, the 'first megabyte' restriction was, I thought,
     | only a problem for another Microsoft product, Excel, and
     | it might have been fixed in version 1.5.  I don't think
     | Word ever suffered from this. I believe there is even some
     | sort of special kludge (I don't know how it works) in
     | Finder/Multifinder to load Excel at the bottom of free
     | memory; most applications are loaded close to the top
     | (high addresses).

You cut me off to soon.. what I said was... that I NEVER run Word in the
1st meg of memory, cos I can't.. I have too much other stuff in there
cloggin up the works.. :-).. Word ALWAYS runs somewhere 2 - 3 - 4 megs up
into memory with no problems.  Sorry if I didn't make this clear the first
time round.

BTW, 1.5 Excel does not fix the memory limitations.. the next release will
however.

     | UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin   POTS: (617)
     | 873-3463 INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

Stu.

PS.  Merry Xmas fellow netters.  Baraka Bashad.

D2012 {@applelink.apple.com - shared acct}  -        caffeine haze :-)

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (12/23/88)

In article <123@microsoft.UUCP> stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) writes:
>You cut me off to soon.. what I said was... that I NEVER run Word in the
>1st meg of memory, cos I can't.. I have too much other stuff in there
>cloggin up the works.. :-).. Word ALWAYS runs somewhere 2 - 3 - 4 megs up
>into memory with no problems.  Sorry if I didn't make this clear the first
>time round.

Umm, sorry.  How do you know all the stuff you're loading into memory
(your startup pics, etc., etc.) isn't going into HIGH memory?  I would
assume that it, in fact, is.  Can you run Excel 1.5 on your system?
If so, my hypothesis is confirmed.

>Stu.
>
>PS.  Merry Xmas fellow netters.  Baraka Bashad.

Merry Christmas to you.  Give my best to Reuben Borman, Steve Rowe,
Greg Lowney, and Randy Sikes in the Language Development Tools group
(I was a summer hire last summer).

Rob Jellinghaus                | At the tone, the time will be...
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |        later than you think?
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |        too late?
{everyone}!decvax!yale!robertj |        Miller time?

In article <46373@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) writes:
     | How do you know all the stuff you're loading
     | into memory (your startup pics, etc., etc.) isn't going
     | into HIGH memory?  I would assume that it, in fact, is.
     | Can you run Excel 1.5 on your system? If so, my hypothesis
     | is confirmed.

No!.. can't get Excel 1.5 to run, period!.. no real lose though..
personaly the last thing I want to do at home is run a spreadsheet.. :-)

     | Merry Christmas to you
     | Rob Jellinghaus

Hope your xmas is merry and your new year is happy..