[comp.sys.mac] Laserwriter screen fonts - can I ftp them from somebody?

korfhage@CS.UCLA.EDU (12/07/88)

I would like to get the laserwriter screen fonts (the font files with the
italic and bold other variations) for times, symbol, and helvetica.
Unfortunately I don't have a subscription to CompuServe, but surely some
folks out there on the internet have snarfed them from CompuServe, and my
Expressionist manual says that they can be freely distributed among
individuals. Could I ftp them from somebody?

Thanks a lot.

   Willard Korfhage

   ARPA : korfhage@cs.ucla.edu
   UUCP : {ucbvax,randvax,trwrb!trwspp,ism780}!ucla-cs!korfhage

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (12/10/88)

>I would like to get the laserwriter screen fonts (the font files with the
>italic and bold other variations) for times, symbol, and helvetica.
>Unfortunately I don't have a subscription to CompuServe, but surely some
>folks out there on the internet have snarfed them from CompuServe, and my
>Expressionist manual says that they can be freely distributed among
>individuals. Could I ftp them from somebody?

I don't know about ftp; I'm not really a unix guru.

I know these are available from Adobe as a $50 set of 3 disks. You probably
don't want that.

I have these disks, and can set them up so that they can be ftp'd from this
machine. But wait, there's more.

I have spent some time translating these all into NFNTs. The benefit is that
the variant forms won't show in your font menu, but they will show if you use
bold and/or italic formats. Since the variant names are very post-scriptish,
they really mess up your font menu if they show there; imagine a lot of names
in your font menu like "BI Bookman Demi Bold Italic" or "I Avant Garde Oblique".
It gets messy.  The NFNT versions avoid this.

It takes a lot of work to translate these into NFNTs, apparently because when
Adobe did the originals they weren't carefully done and some of the FOND info
is in slightly out-of-date form. So I would recommend taking advantage of me
and getting the NFNT versions. I spent hours on it.

The penalty is that you must tell me the form that they need to be in so that
you can ftp them across. Or should I try to post them in BinHex 4.0? Or as a
StuffIt Archive? Or what? I may have spent hours on making them NFNTs, but I
definitely DON'T want so spend hours emailing them or posting them, so let's
keep this simple, eh?

--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (12/12/88)

In article <3524@tekig4.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) writes:
<>I would like to get the laserwriter screen fonts (the font files with the
<>italic and bold other variations) for times, symbol, and helvetica.
<>Unfortunately I don't have a subscription to CompuServe, but surely some
<>folks out there on the internet have snarfed them from CompuServe, and my
<>Expressionist manual says that they can be freely distributed among
<>individuals. Could I ftp them from somebody?

What are the advantages of these screen fonts? Is there any way to improve
the readability of Times 10 point plain? Is there any difference in the
print quality of bold/italic etc.?

<It takes a lot of work to translate these into NFNTs, apparently because when
<Adobe did the originals they weren't carefully done and some of the FOND info
<is in slightly out-of-date form.

<-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)

Did you spend hours using something like Suitcase II or because you used
some other method? Do you need programming skills (or other knowledge the
average user doesn't have)?

Shirley Kehr

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (12/13/88)

In article <3524@tekig4.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) writes:
>The penalty is that you must tell me the form that they need to be in so that
>you can ftp them across. Or should I try to post them in BinHex 4.0? Or as a
>StuffIt Archive? Or what? I may have spent hours on making them NFNTs, but I
>definitely DON'T want so spend hours emailing them or posting them, so let's
>keep this simple, eh?
>
>--
>-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
>Tektronix, Inc.
>briand@tekig4.TEK.COM   or  {decvax,cae780,uw-beaver}!tektronix!tekig4!briand

Why not run Stuffit on them, then BinHex them and post them to
comp.binaries.mac?  I'd be very interested in getting copies of the NFNTs,
but I don't have FTP access.  I'm sure there are others in a similar
situation.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (12/13/88)

In article <888@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>In article <3524@tekig4.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) writes:
>[offers NFNT'd LaserWriter fonts to us]

>Why not run Stuffit on them, then BinHex them and post them to
>comp.binaries.mac?  I'd be very interested in getting copies of the NFNTs,
>but I don't have FTP access.  I'm sure there are others in a similar
>situation.

AMEN!  I think this would be an excellent idea.  I'd actually like to see
fonts (USEFUL fonts, mind you) posted in comp.binaries.mac, especially
NFNTs.  What about some of the (other) public-domain fonts?  "Boston,"
for example.

By the way, I have a legible, non-proportional font that I designed for
programming (called, would you believe, "Program") ... 0's look different
from O's and you can tell the difference between "1," "I" and "l."  (Among
other things.)  I'd be happy to post it and a couple of my other creations
if there were enough interest.

--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (12/13/88)

>>Why not run Stuffit on them, then BinHex them and post them to
>>comp.binaries.mac?

Before you do this, I suggest you double-check with Adobe that it's okay.
there's a big difference between passing the fonts around among friends and
making them available via a network. You might find yourself in violation of
their licenses if you aren't careful. I don't see why they should mind,
personally, but I wouldn't take it for granted.

Also be aware that the fonts get VERY large. If you want more than just the
lw and or lw+ bitmaps, you're going to be posting for quite a while.

>I'd be very interested in getting copies of the NFNTs,
>>but I don't have FTP access.  I'm sure there are others in a similar
>>situation.

They are available from CompuServe and from GENie (in the Letraset forum)
right now.

>I'd actually like to see
>fonts (USEFUL fonts, mind you) posted in comp.binaries.mac, especially
>NFNTs.  What about some of the (other) public-domain fonts?  "Boston,"
>for example.

Boston isn't public-domain. It's shareware.

Chuq Von Rospach	Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms		chuq@sun.COM

When you're up to your *ss in alligators, it's hard to remember your initial
objective was to drain the swamp.

schaerer@unizh.UUCP (schaerer) (12/13/88)

> I would like to get the laserwriter screen fonts (the font files with the
> italic and bold other variations) for times, symbol, and helvetica.
> Could I ftp them from somebody?

Would it make sense to post them to comp.binaries.mac?

-- Daniel Schaerer / schaerer@ifi.unizh.ch

nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) (12/14/88)

Yes, I'd love to see Program.  I think it's pretty lousy that nobody
offers non-proportional fonts.  I need to include screen dumps of PC
screens (which are non-proportional, of course) in our documentation,
and there are no fonts available for me to do it with.  I've requested
them from several companies, and everyone I've talked to has asked
"Why?  You always want to use proportional fonts, they're better!"
When I explain why I want them, they say that they don't have enough
demand to justify providing them.

	-Nancy Connor
	FTP Software

preese@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Phil Reese) (12/14/88)

In article <475@ftp.COM> nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) writes:
>Yes, I'd love to see Program.  I think it's pretty lousy that nobody
>offers non-proportional fonts.  I need to include screen dumps of PC
>
>	-Nancy Connor
>	FTP Software

BMUG in Berkeley has a font disk that has a downloadable LaserWriter font
called IBMKLone.  This is a font which mimics the 'look and feel' of the
IBM font.  The downloadable nature of it means that it would look good
when scaled and printed on a LaserWriter.  This disk, Fonts 10, also
contains several other downloadable laser fonts for special purpose
applications, like flyers etc.

You can purchase the disk for $3 from BMUG, 1442A Walnut St., #62,
Berkeley, CA  94709, 415-549-2684.  Also feel free to join BMUG and
receive that 'one-pound newsletter' (see David Bunnell's editorial on page
53 of the January '89 MacWorld).

Phil Reese
SESAME Group and BMUG
School of Ed, UC Berkeley
preese@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!dewey.soe!preese

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (12/15/88)

> <It takes a lot of work to translate these into NFNTs, apparently because when
> <Adobe did the originals they weren't carefully done and some of the FOND info
> <is in slightly out-of-date form.

It is not difficult to make these proper n-fonts. You can do it with N-Font,
a PD program, or Suitcase II. My main beef with the fonts is that fonts are
not the same "width" as the normal fonts of these names. All my documents
I had nicely formatted in the old times font now take more space than before
and I have to go through and completely repaginate to fix things up. Also,
they seem very poor printed on the imagewriter. And there is no 20 point
size (so I can't get high-rez 10 point text on an imagewriter). They are
nicer on the screen though...

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

jackd@copper.SDP.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) (12/16/88)

In article <81330@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>Before you do this, I suggest you double-check with Adobe that it's okay.
>there's a big difference between passing the fonts around among friends and
>making them available via a network. You might find yourself in violation of
>their licenses if you aren't careful. I don't see why they should mind,
>personally, but I wouldn't take it for granted.

Has anyone heard of a recent court ruling pertaining to the copywrite
status of computer fonts?  Someone told me that the court held that
the underlying code to generate fonts (the printed form, not just the
screen version) was held to be unprotected.  Of course my friend could
just be rationalizing--he's got 75 purloined fonts sitting on his hard
disk.

jack decker

jackd@copper.SDP.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) (12/16/88)

In article <475@ftp.COM> nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) writes:
>Yes, I'd love to see Program.  I think it's pretty lousy that nobody
>offers non-proportional fonts.  I need to include screen dumps of PC
>screens (which are non-proportional, of course) in our documentation,

Gee, I thought Adobe's Courier, Orator, Prestige Elite, and American
Typewriter (to name a few) were non-proportional.  I admitt they may
not be very pretty, but can be used for illustrating screens and
program listings.  BTW--have used Inset to produce IBM screen dumps?
It will produce a MacPaint file so you don't have to manually enter
text.

jack decker

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (12/16/88)

In article <3524@tekig4.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) writes:

>I have these disks, and can set them up so that they can be ftp'd from this
>machine. But wait, there's more.
>
> [ explanation about setting them up as NFNT's ]
>
>The penalty is that you must tell me the form that they need to be in so that
>you can ftp them across. Or should I try to post them in BinHex 4.0? Or as a
>StuffIt Archive? Or what? I may have spent hours on making them NFNTs, but I
>definitely DON'T want so spend hours emailing them or posting them, so let's
>keep this simple, eh?

I vote for posting them as .SIT archive files!

	(    f  )
	(  l o  )
	(  i d  )
	(  n d  )
	(  e e  )
	(    r  )

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (12/16/88)

>Has anyone heard of a recent court ruling pertaining to the copywrite
>status of computer fonts?  Someone told me that the court held that
>the underlying code to generate fonts (the printed form, not just the
>screen version) was held to be unprotected.  Of course my friend could
>just be rationalizing--he's got 75 purloined fonts sitting on his hard
>disk.

Actually, this doesn't matter -- Adobe fonts are protected by license
instead of (as well as?) copyright, so even if there isn't a copyright
restriction, the license you agree to when you open the package (or download
from CompuServe) would still be in effect.

hammen@lakesys.UUCP (Robert J. Hammen) (12/20/88)

>In article <888@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>>In article <3524@tekig4.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) writes:
>>[offers NFNT'd LaserWriter fonts to us]
>
>>Why not run Stuffit on them, then BinHex them and post them to
>>comp.binaries.mac?  I'd be very interested in getting copies of the NFNTs,
>>but I don't have FTP access.  I'm sure there are others in a similar
>>situation.

Uh, folks, before you go posting this stuff on the networks and make it
available for FTP from everywhere, shouldn't you check with Adobe to make
sure that you can LEGALLY post these screen fonts? Adobe makes them available
on CompuServe, sells them for $50 per screen font package, and lets service
bureaus redistribute them (as long as they sign an agreement with Adobe).
They are also available in the LetraSet roundtable on GEnie. I don't think
they will like them being posted here without their permission, and in a
modified form, yet (NFNT's). As far as NFNT's go, you should get Suitcase II,
MasterJuggler, or the freeware NFNT 1.1 program (from Olduvai Software) to
create the NFNT's on your system.

Robert

rcbaab@eutrc3.UUCP (Annard Brouwer) (12/23/88)

In article <888@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>Why not run Stuffit on them, then BinHex them and post them to
>comp.binaries.mac?  I'd be very interested in getting copies of the NFNTs,
>but I don't have FTP access.  I'm sure there are others in a similar
>situation.

There are many people over here who would also be very interested in them!
I totally agree with you Stephen!

	Annard.