[comp.sys.mac] Font/DA Mover 3.8

fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) (12/21/88)

    Will Font/DA Mover 3.8 cause any problem with System 5.0? We'd like to
use Font/DA Mover 3.8 for something 3.6 wouldn't do. We can not upgrade our
system to 6.0.2 until all the Macs in our department do the upgrade at the
same time because of the network.

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (12/21/88)

In article <760@dukempd.phy.duke.edu> fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) writes:
#>
#>    Will Font/DA Mover 3.8 cause any problem with System 5.0? We'd like to
#>use Font/DA Mover 3.8 for something 3.6 wouldn't do. We can not upgrade our
#>system to 6.0.2 until all the Macs in our department do the upgrade at the
#>same time because of the network.

Actually, I don't think this is true even though network people
say you should have the same version of the system on all Macs
attached to a network.

I have a TOPS network with a II, an SE, and two pluses. The SE
and one of the pluses do not have hard disks. There wasn't room
for 6.0.2 and TOPS on their boot disks. I had already installed
6.0.2 on the other two machines and wasn't looking forward to
undoing all that work.

So I installed the same (and newest) laserprinter driver on
all machines but left two different versions of the system.
I've been using it for months and haven't found any problems
with the network (I've run programs and moved files across
the network without difficulty).

Steve Goldfield

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (12/22/88)

In article <760@dukempd.phy.duke.edu> fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) writes:

<    Will Font/DA Mover 3.8 cause any problem with System 5.0? We'd like to
<use Font/DA Mover 3.8 for something 3.6 wouldn't do. We can not upgrade our
<system to 6.0.2 until all the Macs in our department do the upgrade at the
<same time because of the network.

This doesn't answer your question, but for what it is worth, we have a mix
of System 5 and 6 on a network (30 to 40 Macs). Most of us are using System
5 printing resources, although the two in Engineering that have a printer
close by are even using System 6 printing software. All of us have access
to all three printers in this building.

Shirley Kehr

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (12/23/88)

I've been able to use Font/DA Mover 3.8 on System 3.1 ( $#%^*@ Hyperdrive! ),
and it seems to work OK.

						Tim Smith

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (12/23/88)

[ oops, didn't quite finish that last article ]

If it works on 3.1 and works on 6.?, then I would expect it to
work on 5.0.

						Tim Smith

lgeorge@melbcae.edu.au (12/25/88)

In article <12876@cup.portal.com>, ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
> I've been able to use Font/DA Mover 3.8 on System 3.1 ( $#%^*@ Hyperdrive! ),
> and it seems to work OK.
>
> 						Tim Smith
There is a new hyperdrive manager utility that allows you to install and run
system 6.0.2.  Can I suggest that you contact your supplier about it?

George Stamatopoulos
La Trobe University - Lincoln School of Health Sciences
Melbourne
Victoria

[Merry Christmas to all, and a happy new year, from Australia]