[comp.sys.mac] File type on PDs

fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) (12/28/88)

	What file type is "ASSEMBLER.HQX.4.Z"?  When there is a "Z" at the end,
should I use Binary or Ascii to ftp the file? Then what should I use to
convert on Mac (Binhex 4.0 or 5.0)?
	Thanks for any advice.

think@ut-emx.UUCP (S MOON) (12/28/88)

In article <764@dukempd.phy.duke.edu>, fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) writes:

> 	What file type is "ASSEMBLER.HQX.4.Z"?
    It is a compressed file by using UNIX compress command.

>  When there is a "Z" at the end,
> should I use Binary or Ascii to ftp the file?
   Use Binary type.
   After FTPing, use decompress command to convert it to ordinary file
    and download the file.

> Then what should I use to
> convert on Mac (Binhex 4.0 or 5.0)?
      Either will do.

> 	Thanks for any advice.
    If you want more information
   see FTP site    rascal.ics.utexas.edu

            SJ  MOON

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (12/28/88)

In article <764@dukempd.phy.duke.edu> fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) writes:

>	What file type is "ASSEMBLER.HQX.4.Z"?  When there is a "Z" at the end,
>should I use Binary or Ascii to ftp the file? Then what should I use to
>convert on Mac (Binhex 4.0 or 5.0)?

A terminal "Z" on a Unix file usually means that the file has been
compressed with the Unix utility "compress."  The result is a binary
file, so you should use binary ftp to retrieve it.  Then, use
uncompress to recreate the ASCII BinHex file.  Transfer this to your
Mac, and decode it with BinHex 4.0, BinHex 5.0 (which supports all
earlier formats) or a recent version of StuffIt (which supports HQX
format).

For more information about compress, try "man compress" on your Unix
system.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"He shook his head to clear a momentary system error."