[comp.sys.mac] Boot Mac from a second partition

fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) (12/28/88)

	I partitioned my hard disk (Rodime 100MB). I put System 5.0 on the
first partition and 6.0.2 on the second.  What is the correct way to let my
Mac boot from the second partition?  I tried the "Startup Device" from the
Control Panel, selecting the second partition then closing "Startup Device".
Regardless what I did, my Mac always booted from the first partition.  The
only way I can do is to change the name of System to something else on the
first partition, then my Mac would boot from the second partition.

olle@isagel.frescati.su.se (Olle Nilsson at ISAGEL.SUNET.SE) (12/30/88)

In article <763@dukempd.phy.duke.edu>, fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) writes:

> 	I partitioned my hard disk (Rodime 100MB). I put System 5.0 on the
> first partition and 6.0.2 on the second.  What is the correct way to let my
> Mac boot from the second partition?  I tried the "Startup Device" from the
> Control Panel, selecting the second partition then closing "Startup Device".
> Regardless what I did, my Mac always booted from the first partition.  The
> only way I can do is to change the name of System to something else on the
> first partition, then my Mac would boot from the second partition.

You must "bless" the system folder you want to boot from. There is this
small application called the Blesser that does this. I don't know if it
is PD or shareware, but it looks like it could be either of this if I
remember correctly. You can have any number of system folders even on the
same disk and choose from which to boot.