[comp.sys.mac] MAC SE w/68030???

dr@douglass.columbia.edu (David Robinowitz) (12/20/88)

	I have noticed several references to a Mac SE with 68030 coming
out soon.   Any info?  Thanks in advance!

David Robinowitz

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (12/21/88)

In article <6101@columbia.edu> dr@douglass.columbia.edu (David Robinowitz) writes:
>	I have noticed several references to a Mac SE with 68030 coming
>out soon.   Any info?  Thanks in advance!

Maybe this is the gay one? :-)

--
Paul Campbell			..!{unisoft|mtxinu}!taniwha!paul (415)420-8179
Taniwha Systems Design, Oakland CA

 	"Read my lips .... no GNU taxes"

joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) (12/21/88)

in article <6101@columbia.edu>, dr@douglass.columbia.edu David Robinowitz says:

> 	I have noticed several references to a Mac SE with 68030 coming
> out soon.   Any info?  Thanks in advance!

	And by any chance would this new Mac SE support color???

Joe Gunoz

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (12/27/88)

In article <1443@cooper.cooper.EDU> joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) writes:
<in article <6101@columbia.edu>, dr@douglass.columbia.edu David Robinowitz says:
<>
<> 	I have noticed several references to a Mac SE with 68030 coming
<> out soon.   Any info?  Thanks in advance!
<
<	And by any chance would this new Mac SE support color???

This report came last night in the Macintosh II Report (Thom Hogan and
Michael Swaine) I corrected spelling errors and put in paragraph breaks.

SEx Marrs Mac II Lineup

Cupertino, CA--Apple has begun privately showing the next Macintosh, which
they intend to introduce on January 19th. As yet unnamed, the model is being
referred to as the SEx by many Apple insiders, since it is basically a IIx
in an SE box. While the outside of the machine looks no different than the
standard SE (aside from the nameplate, whatever that will say), inside is
a miniature version of the IIx's, including the 68030, 68882, ROM SIMMS,
and up to 8 MB of RAM SIMMs. Drivewise, you get a choice between the 40MB
and 80MB sizes, same as with a II. The floppy drive is a HDFD, which means
it reads and writes Mac 400K, 800K, 1440K, Apple II 800K, and IBM PC 720K
and 1.44MB disks. What about color and the NUBus?

Well, no NuBus, although the SE bus has been extended to 102 pins (up from
96)--perhaps we'll see a third party introduce a NuBus expansion chassis
for the machine. The internal monitor is still monochrome, but surprisingly
the new machine has the exact same ROMs as the IIx, which means they include
the color Quick Draw routines.

The problem with this machine, as we see it, is that it cannibalizes the
current Macintosh II lineup. With an expected price $500 to $1000 less
than a similarly-equipped IIx, the SEx is simply the machine of choice
for virtually everyone except those that absolutely require color video.
Having lugged our Mac IIs around thousands of miles, we've been envious
of the transportability of the regular Mac models for some time--the SEx
looks to be the perfect luggable II.

[they continue moaning about the fate of the II and tell us how they
would have introduced various models]

Shirley Kehr

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (12/28/88)

In article <76252@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>In article <1443@cooper.cooper.EDU> joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) writes:
><in article <6101@columbia.edu>, dr@douglass.columbia.edu David Robinowitz says:
><>
><> 	I have noticed several references to a Mac SE with 68030 coming
><> out soon.   Any info?  Thanks in advance!
><
><	And by any chance would this new Mac SE support color???
>
>This report came last night in the Macintosh II Report (Thom Hogan and
>Michael Swaine) I corrected spelling errors and put in paragraph breaks.
>
>for the machine. The internal monitor is still monochrome, but surprisingly
>the new machine has the exact same ROMs as the IIx, which means they include
>the color Quick Draw routines.
>
>than a similarly-equipped IIx, the SEx is simply the machine of choice
>for virtually everyone except those that absolutely require color video.

Does it say anything about expansion cards for color monitors?  I'd settle
for portable monochrome if I could plug in a color monitor.  I'd especially
like to use the Apple Color monitor.  Also, will it support the multiple-
monitor desktop as does the Mac II?

By the way, what is this Mac II report?

>Shirley Kehr

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
holland%ti-csl@csnet-rela

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/29/88)

writes:
>	And by any chance would this new Mac SE support color???

References may be found in MacWeek's invaluable but unreliable "Mac the
Knife" column.  It seems likely that the new SE will support Color
QuickDraw.  CQD was written in 68020 assembler, which is the main
reason it wasn't present on the original SE.  (If you're not a tech
type, the SE has a 68000 processor which can't process all software
instructions that run on the Mac II's 68020 processor.)  There should
be no obstacle to moving the Mac II ROM OS directly onto the SE, with
perhaps a few small hacks for timing loops and interrupt/exception
handlers.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"What's the ugliest part of your body?

WChan@cup.portal.com (Wilson - Chan) (12/29/88)

>Cupertino, CA--Apple has begun privately showing the next Macintosh, which
>they intend to introduce on January 19th. As yet unnamed, the model is being
>referred to as the SEx by many Apple insiders, since it is basically a IIx
>in an SE box. While the outside of the machine looks no different than the
>standard SE (aside from the nameplate, whatever that will say), inside is
>a miniature version of the IIx's, including the 68030, 68882, ROM SIMMS,
>and up to 8 MB of RAM SIMMs. Drivewise, you get a choice between the 40MB
>and 80MB sizes, same as with a II. The floppy drive is a HDFD, which means
>it reads and writes Mac 400K, 800K, 1440K, Apple II 800K, and IBM PC 720K
>and 1.44MB disks. What about color and the NUBus?
>
>Well, no NuBus, although the SE bus has been extended to 102 pins (up from
>96)--perhaps we'll see a third party introduce a NuBus expansion chassis
>for the machine. The internal monitor is still monochrome, but surprisingly
>the new machine has the exact same ROMs as the IIx, which means they include
>the color Quick Draw routines.

According to InfoWorld (Dec. 19, 1988), the new bus architecture is called the
'030 Direct Connection'.  It mentioned '030 Direct Connection' would perform I/O
operations faster than Nubus-equipped Mac II and Mac IIx because the 030 bus
avoids the arbitration required by the Nubus.

>The problem with this machine, as we see it, is that it cannibalizes the
>current Macintosh II lineup. With an expected price $500 to $1000 less
>than a similarly-equipped IIx, the SEx is simply the machine of choice
>for virtually everyone except those that absolutely require color video.
>Having lugged our Mac IIs around thousands of miles, we've been envious
>of the transportability of the regular Mac models for some time--the SEx
>looks to be the perfect luggable II.

New slot standard for the Mac indicates less portability between machines and
we are coming into the position present in PC world having different bus
architectures across machines (AT bus, EISA, MCA, etc.).

>Shirley Kehr

Wilson Chan
WChan@cup.portal.com

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (12/30/88)

In article <66458@ti-csl.CSNET> holland@m2.UUCP (Fred Hollander) writes:
>In article <76252@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:

<>The internal monitor is still monochrome, but surprisingly
<>the new machine has the exact same ROMs as the IIx, which means they include
<>the color Quick Draw routines.

>Does it say anything about expansion cards for color monitors?  I'd settle
>for portable monochrome if I could plug in a color monitor.  I'd especially
>like to use the Apple Color monitor.  Also, will it support the multiple-
>monitor desktop as does the Mac II?

The report doesn't say, but since you can plug a third party screen into
an SE today, I would be very surprised if you could not (eventually) use
an add-on color monitor. Actually, it's the people with the SE's that have
two monitors here. One writer refused a Mac II because she wanted the extra
half meg of memory and those two monitors. That's how I lucked into the
Mac II as a new writer here.

>By the way, what is this Mac II report?

It's a rather plain chatty newsletter that sometimes assumes we are
following these two writers (Thom Hogan and Michael Swaine). They write
other books, documentation, columns in major magazines, and consequently
have lots of excuses about why they didn't get the current issue out on
time or why it's so short.

Originally it was $48 per year (12 issues) and promised to write about
Mac II specific issues. That was important at first, but now it seems
to me that Mac II runs some things better than SE - specifically the
system software. If you don't do color, I'm not sure there is really
that much different about Mac II anymore.

I would write and ask for a sample issue, and they'll probably send the
largest issue they've written, which was the December issue (28 pgs). They want
$60 per year now, unless you're an original subscriber to whom they
promised a continuing subscription at $48. I'm not sure I'll continue
even at that "reduced rate."

Macreations
329 Horizon Way
Pacifica, CA 94044