[comp.sys.mac] A serious bug for multi-screen envi

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/30/88)

	I would like to comment about the Apple practice of this Cmd-Key override
to Window Resizing..

	The Cmd-Key override is wonderful for Multi-Window and large scren
environments and for what it was designed for, it's great!!

	HOWEVER it does have some problems with certain applications and situations.
EXAMPLE - I am writing an application where I have a window that can only be
resized horizontally and not vertically.  Normally everything works fine since
I can call GrowWindow with a rectangle that let's me do this - BUT if the user
(for whatever reason) holds down the command key, then he can resize my
window vertically as well - and there is NOTHING I can do about it!!
(yes, I tried doing my won WDEF to override the CmdKey but that doesn't work!)

	Well Apple, any comments?!??!?

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +  AppleLink: D0025                 +
+                                 +                                   +

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (12/31/88)

In article <46100249@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>	I would like to comment about the Apple practice of this
>Cmd-Key override to Window Resizing..

>	... it does have some problems with certain applications and
>situations.  EXAMPLE - I am writing an application where I have a
>window that can only be resized horizontally and not vertically.
>...if the user (for whatever reason) holds down the command key, then
>he can resize my window vertically as well - and there is NOTHING I
>can do about it!!

>	Well Apple, any comments?!??!?

I'm not Apple, but I'll answer anyway :-).

There must be something you can do about it, because MacWrite 5.0 does
it.  If you resize the window to be larger than MW's built-in limit,
it snaps back to the built-in limit as soon as you release the mouse.
I imagine that what's happening is that MW checks the selected window
size when the user is done resizing, then fascistly changes it if it
doesn't like the answer.  Why not do the same?

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"He shook his head to clear a momentary system error."