[comp.sys.mac] Why can't we speed up the mouse?

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (12/20/88)

Would it be difficult for *somebody* to write some code that would let you
set the mouse tracking speed much higher than it is now? Even at the "fastest"
setting under 6.0.2, it still takes 3 inches of mouse movement to move the
cursor completely across the screen. Yes sir, I KNOW the cursor will
"accelerate" if you move the mouse faster, but the problem with this is that
you lose *control*. You can't "jerk" the mouse around like that with any
kind of precision. Having used a Mac almost daily for nearly 5 years, I feel
that I could comfortably adapt to a cursor that would cross the screen with
say, 1/2 to 3/4 inch of mouse movement *without* jerking. The current 2 to 3
inches required is way, way too slow. Anybody interested? Can you hear
me, Apple?   (drops to knees, begs....)   (-8

Ron

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (12/20/88)

In article <8855@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP writes:
<Having used a Mac almost daily for nearly 5 years, I feel
<that I could comfortably adapt to a cursor that would cross the screen with
<say, 1/2 to 3/4 inch of mouse movement *without* jerking. The current 2 to 3
<inches required is way, way too slow.

<Ron

Have you heard about Felix? It sounds like you are a prime candidate for
this alternative to the mouse. One of the complaints reviewers have had
is that it only uses about an inch of movement. They always say "try
before you buy" to make sure you are ready for that kind of precision.

Shirley Kehr

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (12/20/88)

In article <8855@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP writes:
>kind of precision. Having used a Mac almost daily for nearly 5 years, I feel
>that I could comfortably adapt to a cursor that would cross the screen with
>say, 1/2 to 3/4 inch of mouse movement *without* jerking. The current 2 to 3
>inches required is way, way too slow. Anybody interested? Can you hear
>me, Apple?   (drops to knees, begs....)   (-8

You have forgotten something: Mice have a physical resolution.  The
mouse has to move a smidge for the mouse to spit out a `micky'
(mouse's smallest quantum unit).  If the mouse doesn't have many
hundreds of mickies to the inch (and Apple mice don't) you simply
can't map many hundreds of pixels into a half inch and still be able
to address every pixel on your screen, unless you do something like
adjust your micky to pixel mapping depending on mouse speed, which is
what they do.  If you move the mouse slowly you currently get one
pixel to one micky, if you move quickly you will get more than one
pixel to a micky.  It works pretty well, try a Sun sometime for
contrast.

If you really want a mouse that does what you describe, look for a
much higher resolution 3rd party mouse (optical mice can have their
resolution extended by using a mouse pad with finer lines and more
lines on it, but the optics will eventually limit you there too), or
try that puck-like thingie that got big press a few months ago.  (I
got my hands on it once and thought it was terrible...)

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (12/22/88)

In article <8855@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP writes:
>Would it be difficult for *somebody* to write some code that would let you
>set the mouse tracking speed much higher than it is now? Even at the "fastest"
>setting under 6.0.2, it still takes 3 inches of mouse movement to move the
>cursor completely across the screen. Yes sir, I KNOW the cursor will
>"accelerate" if you move the mouse faster, but the problem with this is that
>you lose *control*. You can't "jerk" the mouse around like that with any
>kind of precision...

Better practise up with Crystal Quest!   :-)

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (12/31/88)

In article <291@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>In article <66092@ti-csl.CSNET> holland@m2.UUCP (Fred Hollander) writes:
>>In article <288@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>>>In article <8855@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP writes:
>>
>>[Stuff you already read deleted - suggested higher resolution mouse]
>>
>>I think it would suffice if we could "turn on" the 8x magnification earlier
>>than can be done using the settings in the current mouse CDEV.  There is a
>>commercial product that does this for around $50.  It shouldn't be hard to
>
>Pull out your trusty copy of ResEdit (assume usual disclaimers about
>using ResEdit at your own risk, never on an orignial file, etc.), and
>notice that the system file (6.0.2 in my case) has 4 resources of the
>type "mcky", also notice that the mouse portion of the control panel
>has 4 mouse positions in addition to the linear (tablet) setting.
>
>Seems a reasonable guess that these might have something to do with
>mouse tracking.  Brave people may want to experiment.  Let us know
>what you find.  (Does anybody have a ResEdit template for "mcky"
>resources?)

Pretty reasonable guess it was.  Actually, there are 5 'mcky' resources:
Tablet 0, Slow 1 ... Fast 4.  Each resource is 8 bytes.  Byte x (1-8)
indicates the number of pixels you must move your mouse to multiply the
motion by x.  For example, the current "Fast" requires the mouse to move
16 pixels (in who knows how much time) before the motion is mulitplied by
7.  In case anyone is interested here is what I did with mine:

Removed id's 1 and 2 (kept tablet) and moved 3 and 4 down to replace them.
Added id's 3 and 4 with the following data:
3: 01030507090B0D0F
4: 0103050708090A0B

I don't have any problem with fine motion using the new fast speed, yet a small
flick of the wrist moves the mouse accross the screen.  Since, you can easily
need for writing anything new.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.