[comp.sys.mac] A serious bug for multi-screen environments

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (12/26/88)

I have a Macintosh II with 5 megs of RAM at work, and a 2nd monitor which is a
Nutmeg 19 inch 2-bit monochrome. I have found that when using the standard Apple
colour monitor as the primary screen that there is a consistent bug implemented
in most programs, even the Finder!!!

When I drag a window from the primary 13-inch screen to the secondary 19-inch
screen, and I try to grow the window to the size of the 19-inch, the window is
restricted - it won't grow beyond the size of the 13-inch screen!

This phenomenon only exhibits itself when the larger screen is secondary. When I
use the Monitors cdev to make the 19-inch the primary screen, I can zoom the
window up to full size.

This is a real pain in the arse when using PageMaker and other programs that
perform better with larger screens, like Illustrator and FreeHand.

Obviously, most programmers are setting the sizeRect parameter in DragWindow to
the screenRect of the primary screen, which is an assumption that cannot be made
in multi-screen environments.

Now, even Apple make this assumption in the Finder.

Larry R. should be reading this, so I ask you Larry, why can't you just set the
sizeRect to be say  (0,0,32767,32767) ???

Regards,
Jason Haines - President, Club Mac
Australia's largest Macintosh Users Group, with over 1500 members.

Phone Home:  011-61-2-73-1016
OZ Post:     Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
Internet:    clubmac@runx.ips.oz.au    UUCP: uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!clubmac

pa1087@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1087) (12/28/88)

Article <1911@runx.ips.oz>, clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) writes:

> When I drag a window from the primary 13-inch screen to the secondary 19-inch
> screen, and I try to grow the window to the size of the 19-inch, the window is
> restricted - it won't grow beyond the size of the 13-inch screen!

As stated in Volume V of Inside Macintosh on page 209. You may hold
down the command key when resizing to go beyond the small screen
limit.

Don't feel bad about your posting. I'm sure many other people (who
haven't read inside mac cover to cover) didn't know either.

-Cris Rys
pa1087@iUGrad2.ucsd.edu

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (12/28/88)

In article <1911@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) writes:

+I have a Macintosh II with 5 megs of RAM at work, and a 2nd monitor
+which is a Nutmeg 19 inch 2-bit monochrome. I have found that when
+using the standard Apple colour monitor as the primary screen that
+there is a consistent bug implemented in most programs, even the
+Finder!!!

+When I drag a window from the primary 13-inch screen to the secondary
+19-inch screen, and I try to grow the window to the size of the
+19-inch, the window is restricted - it won't grow beyond the size of
+the 13-inch screen!

+This is a real pain in the arse when using PageMaker and other programs that
+perform better with larger screens, like Illustrator and FreeHand.

It certainly is a bug, but there's an easy work-around: hold the
command key (Apple key, cloverleaf, widget) while resizing a window
and the application's size limit is ignored.  I just tried this with
MockWrite on a LaserView monitor.  Normally, MockWrite enforces a
fairly small page, but by holding the command key I could fill the
screen.

There are some *really* fascist programs out there, however.  I tried
this once with MacWrite 5.0.  I could drag the window as large as I
wanted, but it snapped back to its built-in limit (unrelated to screen
size) as soon as I let go.

Also, this is all at your own risk.  MacTerminal, for example, can be
given a very large window but starts to get weird.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"He shook his head to clear a momentary system error."

grg@berlin.acss.umn.edu (George Gonzalez) (12/28/88)

Yes, many programs exhibit this behavior.  I beleive Apple has provided a
work-around this problem.  If you hold down the Command key while growing
the window, the GrowWindow code will ignore its limiting rectangle and let
you enlarge the window to any size.  Try it!

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (01/01/89)

"
" Don't feel bad about your posting. I'm sure many other people (who
" haven't read inside mac cover to cover) didn't know either.

A user should not have to read "Inside Macintosh" to find out how to
do something.

--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu