[comp.sys.mac] X-INIT

engber@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) (12/30/88)

x-init is great!, thanks. I have one problem with it though. My main use for it
is when I want to reboot without inits so my games will work. Usually this means
I have to also boot without multi-finder. Since you chose the option key it
means I try to reboot holding down option & clover. However, this signals the
system to rebuild the desktop. I've tried just holding down the option key and
then later switching to holding down the clover key, but I can't get the timing
right.

So, is there any chance that you could make x-init work with some other key.
I'd be happy with space or shift or tab. Whatever you like.

-ME

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (01/02/89)

In article <6946@spool.cs.wisc.edu> engber@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) writes:
> So, is there any chance that you could make x-init work with some other key.
> I'd be happy with space or shift or tab. Whatever you like.
>
> -ME

Use the X-INIT installer to remove the x-init from your system folder. Then,
use ResEdit to open the X-INIT installer program. Open INIT#999 and change
the byte at $00030. Its initial value should be $0003.  Set it to
	$0000 for X-init to work with the Command key
	$0001 				  Shift key
	$0002				  CapsLock key

Close, saving changes, and quit.  Then use the modified Installer to put
X-INIT back into your system.

N.B. For the particular use you requested (to work in conjunction with
multifinder supression, without deleterious side effects), you'll need to
set it to $0000, Command key. This is because MF checks if the command
key AND ONLY THE COMMAND KEY is depressed during booting. So setting X-INIT
to Shift and holding Cmd-Shift will suppress your INITs but not the booting
of Multifinder.

The word at position $00030 is the bit-number (mod 8) of the high-byte of
an event record's modifiers flags. These bitfields are described in IM I-252.

Disclaimer: I didn't write X-INIT, I just wish I had.

--
+-------------------+-jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu / !rutgers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw-+
|  nicholas jackiw  | jackiw%campus.swarthmore.edu@swarthmr.bitnet           |