[comp.sys.mac] Appleshare and Startup Volumes

chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) (12/28/88)

	Even when booting originally from a floppy, Robert is still
correct, as Apple does not currently provide a method of switching to
the Network volume as the "startup" volume.

	If some third party company has developed a product which will
do this, they are staying afwully quiet about it....

Christopher Krohn
Northwestern University
Academic Computing & Network Services

dlugose@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (12/28/88)

In article <10330105@accuvax.nwu.edu> chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) writes:
>	Even when booting originally from a floppy, Robert is still
>correct, as Apple does not currently provide a method of switching to
>the Network volume as the "startup" volume.
>	If some third party company has developed a product which will
>do this, they are staying afwully quiet about it....
   With Macs in a 3Comm network, after booting from a floppy, it is
easy to switch over to a System stored on the server.  I've done this
here, but can't answer more questions, as it's not set up now.  Of
course 3Comm runs something SIMILAR to Appleshare.
   Dan

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (12/29/88)

In article <10330105@accuvax.nwu.edu> chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) writes:

	Even when booting originally from a floppy, Robert is still
>correct, as Apple does not currently provide a method of switching to
>the Network volume as the "startup" volume.

	If some third party company has developed a product which will
>do this, they are staying afwully quiet about it....

In "Cards and Drivers", there is a statement that a NuBus card can be made the
boot device if the right stuff is put into the ROM.  Perhaps one of the
ethernet card manufacturers would like to do this...

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

jimc@vax.3Com.Com (Jim Christy) (12/29/88)

In article <6138@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, dlugose@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) writes:
> In article <10330105@accuvax.nwu.edu> chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) writes:
> >	Even when booting originally from a floppy, Robert is still
> >correct, as Apple does not currently provide a method of switching to
> >the Network volume as the "startup" volume.
> >	If some third party company has developed a product which will
> >do this, they are staying afwully quiet about it....
>    With Macs in a 3Comm network, after booting from a floppy, it is
> easy to switch over to a System stored on the server.  I've done this
> here, but can't answer more questions, as it's not set up now.  Of
> course 3Comm runs something SIMILAR to Appleshare.
>    Dan

3Com allows switch launching because each user has a private
shared folder (a directory subtree) on a network server called a Home
Folder.  Only one user at a time can be linked to the Home Folder.  This
prevents conflicts in accessing system files.  After the Home Folder is
mounted, the 3+ external file system on the client resets the bits
"bNoSwitchTo" and "bNoSysDir" for the PBHGetVolParms call that is made
relative to the Home Folder (see Inside Mac volume 5, pg 392).

Jim Christy
3Com Corp.

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (01/01/89)

The bandwith of LocalTalk is low enough that not booting from the
network was a concious decision by Apple.   LocalTalk is a data
sharing netword intended for the exchange of FILES, it is not intended
to provide sufficient speed for launching applications (though many
people use it this way) nor for launching the OS.   If you ran your
system off of a remote server for a while you would probably switch
back to having it local.   That local floppy should be lots faster
than the remote server, especially if you are on a fairly busy network
and other people are sharing your system with you.

Seymour

uh@bsiao.UUCP (Uul Haanstra) (01/02/89)

in article <Dec.31.17.42.54.1988.6391@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) says:

 > The bandwith of LocalTalk is low enough that not booting from the
 > network was a concious decision by Apple.   LocalTalk is a data
 > sharing netword intended for the exchange of FILES, it is not intended
 > to provide sufficient speed for launching applications (though many
 > people use it this way) nor for launching the OS.   If you ran your
 > system off of a remote server for a while you would probably switch
 > back to having it local...

Correct. Therefore I have set up a 1Mb RAM disk that reads the system from
the 3COM server I connect to. Giving all users a few Mb extra is cheaper
than a hard disk. And it eliminates a lot of problems with backups (done
automatically on the 3COM) and software distribution (only one version of
each generally accessible program, such as Word and Excel).
With 4 Mb I can have the RAM disk, Word and Excel open all day, and still have
room for another program I might need.
Uul Haanstra, Postbank N.V. Amsterdam                ...!mcvax!bsiao!uh
              Pb 21009
	      1000 EX AMSTERDAM                         +31-20 584 3312

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (01/03/89)

In article <510@bsiao.UUCP> uh@bsiao.UUCP (Uul Haanstra) writes:
>the 3COM server I connect to. Giving all users a few Mb extra is cheaper
>than a hard disk. And it eliminates a lot of problems with backups (done

	In what universe? I can purchase a 40 MB hard disk for $700, but
one MB CMOS SIMMs for a Mac run about $400 apiece....

	But it would be nice to boot remotely...

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (Ronald A. Guest) (01/04/89)

An earlier posting said the Localtalk was too slow to support a networked
startup volume.  It probably is, but Apple also officialy supports
Ethertalk, which is much faster and would provide reasonable performance.
Third party vendors are able to support it, and Apple should too.

Ronald A. Guest, Supervisor     cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM  or  att!druhi!cosmos
AT&T Bell Laboratories          <--- but these are my thoughts, not theirs
12110 N. Pecos St.              Denver, Colorado 80234          (303) 538-4896