[comp.sys.mac] Imagewriter clones

jeric@tybalt.caltech.edu (J. Eric Grove) (09/22/87)

Does anyone have any experience with Imagewriter look-alikes,
e.g., the Panasonic KX-P1080?  Any comparisons of relative speed,
reliability, capability, etc. would be welcome.

Thanks.

		J. Eric Grove
		jeric@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!jeric

spector@brillig.umd.edu (Lee Spector) (01/02/89)

Does anybody know much about the Olympia or Seikosha Imagewriter
clones?  They seem to be pretty cheap and are alleged to run
just like an Imagewriter off the Imagewriter driver.  Is it true?
Are they a good deal?

Thanks,  - Lee (spector@brillig.umd.edu)

kcr%rushforth@Sun.COM (Kevin Rushforth) (01/02/89)

In article <15226@mimsy.UUCP>, spector@brillig.umd.edu (Lee Spector) writes:
> Does anybody know much about the Olympia or Seikosha Imagewriter
> clones?  They seem to be pretty cheap and are alleged to run
> just like an Imagewriter off the Imagewriter driver.  Is it true?
> Are they a good deal?

I am also interested in this.  Does anyone know where to find these
printers in the Bay Area?  None of the MAC shops I went to even hinted
at the existence of a cheap Imagewriter clone (and yes, I asked).

Thanks for any info.

--
Kevin C. Rushforth                   | "If winning is not important,
Sun Microsystems                     |  then commander, why keep score?"
                                     |              - Lt. Worf
ARPA: kcr@sun.com                    |
UUCP: <most-backbone-sites>!sun!kcr  |

roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu ( John Roy) (01/04/89)

In article <83425@sun.uucp>, kcr%rushforth (Kevin Rushforth) writes:
>In article <15226@mimsy.UUCP>, spector@brillig.umd.edu (Lee Spector) writes:
>> Does anybody know much about the Olympia or Seikosha Imagewriter
>> clones?  They seem to be pretty cheap and are alleged to run
>> just like an Imagewriter off the Imagewriter driver.  Is it true?
>> Are they a good deal?
>
>I am also interested in this.  Does anyone know where to find these
>printers in the Bay Area?  None of the MAC shops I went to even hinted
>at the existence of a cheap Imagewriter clone (and yes, I asked).

I got my Seikosha from a mail order place (advert in MacWorld), I think it was
Icon Review.  It cost about $230 and works just like an Imagewriter.  I like
mine and have had no problems at all.

--
John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039
ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92714

miscord@hubcap.UUCP (Michael Scordilis) (01/04/89)

In article <2940@paris.ics.uci.edu>, roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu ( John Roy) writes:
> I got my Seikosha from a mail order place (advert in MacWorld), I think it was
> Icon Review.  It cost about $230 and works just like an Imagewriter.  I like
> mine and have had no problems at all.

I got mine from Lyco computers for about $170, six months ago.
It works fine. Does everything an Imagewriter does for a third of
the price, but also in a third of the speed.
The only thing it cannot do is to connect the Thunderscan to it.
Its ribbon is different to that of the ImWrter and the scanner does not
fit in the printer. I wonder if a quick fix can be done.
Other than that, I really like my printer.

Michael Scordilis.