[comp.sys.mac] replacing nth occurance on line

ian@inmet (01/03/89)

Does anyone know of a utility or text editor for the Mac
which will replace the nth occurance of a string on a line?

In other words, I have a number of data fields in  a text document
separated by tabs and i want to replace the first tab by a '-'
the second by '...' etc.

Ian Dowell                                                   ian@inmet.inmet.com
Intermetrics, Inc.                                               uunet!inmet!ian

eynon@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Barry Eynon) (01/05/89)

In article <127200052@inmet> ian@inmet writes:

>Does anyone know of a utility or text editor for the Mac
>which will replace the nth occurance of a string on a line?
>
>In other words, I have a number of data fields in  a text document
>separated by tabs and i want to replace the first tab by a '-'
>the second by '...' etc.

QUED/M from Paragon Concepts has a regular expression option in it's
search and replace that can easily do what you want. The program has
many other nice features, including multiple file search, macros, etc.
It has everything I've ever needed in a text editor.
Check it out.
-Barry Eynon

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (01/05/89)

>Does anyone know of a utility or text editor for the Mac
>which will replace the nth occurance of a string on a line?
>
>In other words, I have a number of data fields in  a text document
>separated by tabs and i want to replace the first tab by a '-'
>the second by '...' etc.

>Ian Dowell                                                 ian@inmet.inmet.com
>Intermetrics, Inc.                                             uunet!inmet!ian

If you're not concerned about blazing speed, and if the file is text and
not some word processor's proprietary format, HyperCard should do the trick
quite nicely, though you'd have to write a few lines of HyperTalk. I could
write it for you, if you give me the spec and a sample text.

Scott Bayes
bayes@hpfcla