[comp.sys.mac] System 3.2 with an SE?

jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (12/19/88)

All right, folks, I need the straight dope.  Is it safe to run System 3.2/
Finder 5.3 on a Mac SE?  I'm a computing assistant here at Yale, and we need
to know whether we can safely give out 3.2 (because it's smaller) without
messing with people that have SEs.  (If we don't give out 3.2, we'll give out
4.1; anything after that is way too big for our floppy-based users.)

Please only send COLD HARD FACTS, with reasons why it's safe to do so or
why it isn't.  If all you have to say is "I use 3.2 on my SE and it works,"
keep quiet.  Just because it works doesn't mean it won't bomb out under some
circumstance you haven't encountered yet.  I'd appreciate it if a knowledgeable
Apple person would respond to this, actually...

Rob Jellinghaus                | "Good King Sauerkraut,
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |  On your feets uneven,
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  When all the snoo lay round about,
{everyone}!decvax!yale!robertj |  All kerchoo acheivin'--"  _Pogo_

schase@pollux.usc.edu (Scott Chase) (12/20/88)

In article <46003@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) writes:
>All right, folks, I need the straight dope.  Is it safe to run System 3.2/
>Finder 5.3 on a Mac SE?  I'm a computing assistant here at Yale, and we need
>to know whether we can safely give out 3.2 (because it's smaller) without
>messing with people that have SEs.  (If we don't give out 3.2, we'll give out
>4.1; anything after that is way too big for our floppy-based users.)
>
>Please only send COLD HARD FACTS, with reasons why it's safe to do so or
>why it isn't.  If all you have to say is "I use 3.2 on my SE and it works,"
>keep quiet.  Just because it works doesn't mean it won't bomb out under some
>circumstance you haven't encountered yet.  I'd appreciate it if a knowledgeable
>Apple person would respond to this, actually...
>
>Rob Jellinghaus                | "Good King Sauerkraut,
>jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |  On your feets uneven,
>ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  When all the snoo lay round about,
>{everyone}!decvax!yale!robertj |  All kerchoo acheivin'--"  _Pogo_

Because I have a floppy based Plus at home, I use 3.2/5.3. When using an
SE with the same system, I generally don't have problems, EXCEPT:

when using Word 3.01, the pencil cursor (blinking one) does not always
display in the proper place - it is often displayed several characters away
from the actual insert point (I forget whether it's forward or back).

I have only noticed this phenomenon with Word using Times font.
I don't know whether it happens with other fonts or programs - I'v only
noticed it with this combination.

It doesn't happen when using a later version of the system, or on a Plus.

         Scott Chase            schase@pollux.usc.edu
                                iak8sct@oac.ucla.edu

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (01/05/89)

In article <14159@oberon.USC.EDU> schase@pollux.usc.edu (Scott Chase) writes:
>In article <46003@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) writes:
>>All right, folks, I need the straight dope.  Is it safe to run System 3.2/
>>Finder 5.3 on a Mac SE?  I'm a computing assistant here at Yale, and we need
>>to know whether we can safely give out 3.2 (because it's smaller) without
>>messing with people that have SEs.  (If we don't give out 3.2, we'll give out
>>4.1; anything after that is way too big for our floppy-based users.)
>>
>>Please only send COLD HARD FACTS, with reasons why it's safe to do so or
>>why it isn't.  If all you have to say is "I use 3.2 on my SE and it works,"
>>keep quiet.  Just because it works doesn't mean it won't bomb out under some
>>circumstance you haven't encountered yet.  I'd appreciate it if a knowledgeable
>>Apple person would respond to this, actually...
>
>Because I have a floppy based Plus at home, I use 3.2/5.3. When using an
>SE with the same system, I generally don't have problems, EXCEPT:

You're lucky.  Don't use 3.2/5.3 on a Mac SE because it lacks patches.  I'd
guarantee that you'll run into problems.

						_emt