[comp.sys.mac] Retinal scans

lkw@csun.edu (Larry Wake) (01/03/89)

In article <268@gloom.UUCP> cory@gloom.UUCP (Cory Kempf) writes:
>In article <4498@xenna.Encore.COM> bzs@Encore.COM (Barry Shein) writes:
>>
>>Fun note but why do a password challenge when a retinal scan would
>>have been more secure? (please, no disgusting remarks about how to fool
>>a retinal scanner.)
>>
>Two reasons actually... first, I wasn't too sure about retinal
>scans... the only place I have seen any refs. to them has been in SF
>(haven't looked much though), so I didn't (and still don't) know how
>practical they are for security.

In a recent issue of either Time or Newsweek, there was an article on
disaster recovery, which also touched on what companies are doing about
*preventing* damage from disasters (what a novel concept).

According to the article, American Airlines has built a new
below-ground machine room for their Saabre mainframes.  Access is
through an airlock-type entrance controlled by both retina scan and a
weight sensor, which I thought was a nice touch: if the weight in the
room doesn't match what's in the records for that retinal image, you
not only don't get let in, the outer door closes and locks.

This should foil some of the "disgusting" ways to fool the scanner; it
also follows that every time an AA employee goes to the lavatory it is
now vitally important they get a receipt...  (apologies to Douglas
Adams)
--
Larry Wake                   		 lkw@csun.edu
CSUN Computer Center	       uucp:     {hplabs,rdlvax}!csun!lkw

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (01/05/89)

>> >Remember. 60 years ago nuclear weapons were science fiction.
>> >mark
>>
>> So were anti-gravity machines.

>What's the point ?

>The statement above says that some of the things that used to
>be science fiction are now real. (and some of the things that
>are now science fiction will be real someday)

I think the point is that there are two kinds of science fiction: science
fiction based on enhancements to currently available technology, and
science fiction based on new technologies. The first kind (cheap, tiny
mass storage devices, extremely fast machines, and, 60 years ago, nuclear
bombs) are reasonable things to wait for. The second kind (anti-gravity
machines, natural language recognition, and mental control devices) require
serious breakthroughs before they can become available, and you have to
decide if you're going to wait for them or not.

Bob Hablutzel		BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (01/06/89)

In article <10330108@accuvax.nwu.edu> bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel)
writes, and having writ, moves on:
>I think the point is that there are two kinds of science fiction: science
>fiction based on enhancements to currently available technology, and
>science fiction based on new technologies. The first kind (cheap, tiny
>mass storage devices, extremely fast machines, and, 60 years ago, nuclear
>bombs) are reasonable things to wait for. The second kind (anti-gravity
>machines, natural language recognition, and mental control devices) require
>serious breakthroughs before they can become available, and you have to
>decide if you're going to wait for them or not.

Whoa!  How on Earth were nuclear weapons in the 1930's enhancements of
currently available technology?  The answer: they weren't, they were
breakthrough technology based on currently available SCIENCE (not
technology).  Going on that criterion, anti-gravity machines will be
a 1990's technology, since there have been known solutions to general
relativity for years that create a repulsive anti-gravity force (you
take a dense torus and rotate it inside-out at high velocities; one
side of the hole is a classic "repulsor field").

My point is that simple-minded ways of approaching the problem of
prediction will always fail.  The only thing one can say for certain
about future technology is that it will be immensely complex and
unpredictable.  Some plausible seeming things, like Heinlein's rolling
roads, will never appear; some wildly implausible things, like nuclear
weapons, will appear very early.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"The time is gone, the song is over.