[comp.sys.mac] Gay Mac User's Group

bwb@andante.UUCP (Bruce Ballard) (12/20/88)

I am not gay, but it doesn't matter: the recent quips, funny though
they are, are not in keeping with the free-spirited mentality that
so wonderfully characterizes the Macintosh community. Please discontinue
posting offensive material to this or any other user group. Thank you.

gwills@maths.tcd.ie (Graham Wills) (12/22/88)

In article <14512@andante.UUCP> bwb@andante.UUCP (Bruce Ballard) writes:
>I am not gay, but it doesn't matter: the recent quips, funny though
>they are, are not in keeping with the free-spirited mentality that
>so wonderfully characterizes the Macintosh community. Please discontinue
>posting offensive material to this or any other user group. Thank you.

   I am not gay, and it matters a lot to my girlfriend: The above piece,
   unfunny as it is, is not in keeping with the free-spirited mentality that
   so wonderfully characterizes the Macintosh community. Please discontinue
   posting offensive material to this or any other user group. Thank you.

Graham W
TCD
Ireland.

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (12/23/88)

In article <14512@andante.UUCP> bwb@andante.UUCP (Bruce Ballard) writes:
>I am not gay, but it doesn't matter: the recent quips, funny though
>they are, are not in keeping with the free-spirited mentality that
>so wonderfully characterizes the Macintosh community. Please discontinue
>posting offensive material to this or any other user group. Thank you.

Personally, I don't find the gay Mac messages offensive because of the sexual
references - I find them offensive because they are so stupid!

The concept of a Macintosh User Group for gays is *TOTALLY STUPID*. Anyone that
would start one up must have smegma for brains! There is *NOTHING* about the
Mac that would justify a MUG for gays. What possible differences could there
be between gay and heterosexual use of a Macintosh?

Jason Haines - President, Club Mac
Australia's largest Macintosh Users Group, with over 1500 members.

Phone Home:  011-61-2-73-1016
OZ Post:     Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
Internet:    clubmac@runx.ips.oz.au    UUCP: uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!clubmac

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (12/25/88)

In article <1907@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.OZ (Australia's Largest Mac Users Group) writes:
>In article <14512@andante.UUCP> bwb@andante.UUCP (Bruce Ballard) writes:
>The concept of a Macintosh User Group for gays is *TOTALLY STUPID*. Anyone that
>would start one up must have smegma for brains! There is *NOTHING* about the
>Mac that would justify a MUG for gays. What possible differences could there
>be between gay and heterosexual use of a Macintosh?

I guess it depends on where you live .... the people who started the Gay Mac
users group live somewhere where a lot of gay people live, why whouldn't
they start a user's group to serve their community? One of the aims they
stated was to provide support for various AIDS support groups, now this
is an issue that affects their community deeply etc etc (ie here is
one possible difference that there might be between gay and heterosexual
use of a Mac ....)

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell			..!{unisoft|mtxinu}!taniwha!paul (415)420-8179
Taniwha Systems Design, Oakland CA

 	"Read my lips .... no GNU taxes"

AXS101@PSUVM.BITNET (Adrian Sullivan) (01/03/89)

In article <314@taniwha.UUCP>, paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) says:
>>In article <14512@andante.UUCP> bwb@andante.UUCP (Bruce Ballard) writes:
>>Mac that would justify a MUG for gays. What possible differences could there
>>be between gay and heterosexual use of a Macintosh?
>they start a user's group to serve their community? One of the aims they
>stated was to provide support for various AIDS support groups, now this
>is an issue that affects their community deeply etc etc (ie here is
>one possible difference that there might be between gay and heterosexual
>use of a Mac ....)
>        Paul

i can't see a point of a gay mac users group either. i think paul here is wrong
... aids affects both the gay and heterosexual community, and i think if i
were gay, going to the group wouldn't point out anything more than a group
for both gays and non-gays. can someone point out a good reason for this group?
seems members are not going to get the full mac exposure being in a smaller
group like this, am i wrong?

-------
--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--
-Adrian Sullivan, Vice President PAMUG    == -==- Little Mac BBs
--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--== -==- (814) 238-4276
- axs101@psuvm.bitnet axs@psuarch.bitnet  == -==- 2400/1200bps
--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--== -==- 8-n-1  24hrs

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (01/05/89)

Hmmm, if you people think a Gay MUG is a stupid idea, I suppose
the MUG I wanted to start will really get flamed.  I wanted to
start the Bisexual Comic Reading Jugglers Macintosh Users Group. :-)

I can think of several reasons to have a Gay Mac Users Group, two
of which are listed below.

1. Mac users often spend a lot of money on hardware and software.
Many Gay people do not like to spend money for products from companies
that are oppresive to Gays.  If there are two competing products, a Gay
user might want to know something about how the companies that sell
those products treat Gays.  A Non-gay MUG would not be likely to keep
such information.  A Gay MUG would.

This would also be a good reason for other specialized MUGs, such as
a Black Mac Users Group, or a Jewish Mac Users Group, etc.

2. Straight MUGs are less likely to have a good collection of Gay
oriented adult MacPaint files. :-)

						Tim Smith

ps: just in case, is there anyone out there who would be interested in
a bisexual comic reading jugglers MUG? :-)

mann@intacc.uucp (Jeff Mann) (01/06/89)

In article <66211AXS101@PSUVM> AXS101@PSUVM.BITNET (Adrian Sullivan) writes:
>In article <314@taniwha.UUCP>, paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) says:
>>>In article <14512@andante.UUCP> bwb@andante.UUCP (Bruce Ballard) writes:
>>>Mac that would justify a MUG for gays. What possible differences could there
                  ^^^^^^^
>>>be between gay and heterosexual use of a Macintosh?

Why do they have to 'justify' it?  Users' groups aren't something you get
involved with soley to study your computer with the greatest efficiency.
They are (sometimes primarily) social gatherings of people with common
interests.  Also, as you may remember, a lot of straight people still
have problems accepting gays.  So it's going to be a much more comfortable
environment if they don't have to worry about other group members talking
behind their backs, etc.  And of course there will be more chance of meeting
someone attractive etc., for those so inclined.  Personally, being of the
hetero persuasion, I'd much rather go to a U.G. that had lots of attractive
college women in it than go to one that was full of pimply-faced 15 year-old
computer nerds - get the picture?

--
| Jeff Mann - Inter/Access Videotex, Toronto  ...uunet!mnetor!intacc!mann  |
| "A picture is worth 256 thousand words"  {utzoo, utgpu}!chp!intacc!mann  |